Canon ScanGear and colour management

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I have a Canon 5200F scanner and a Canon i560 printer.

In the driver for the scanner - ScanGear - under Preferences, there's a page
for Colour Settings. The main choices are:

- Recommended
- Canon ColorGear
- None

Under Canon ColorGear, you can choose what appear to be colour profiles for
the scanner and the printer.

I'm wondering whether I would get the best colour fidelity if I explicitly
choose a profile for the scanner and the printer - especially because
they're both from the same manufacturer.

The manual is useless, and so is Canon online support. I asked them about
this, and their reply amounted to, 'we don't know enough to answer your
question'!

Is anyone familiar with ScanGear and/or ColorGear?

Cheers

- rick

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Photoshop type color management is poorly implemented in high end Canon
printers and essentially non-existent for your printer. There is no need to
be concerned about profiling your scanner.

I recommend you develop a system using your photo program and the Canon
printer driver that works for you.

If you want to implement color management you need to use a photo program
that supports color management, calibrate your monitor and go a few notches
up on the printer food chain. It is complicated but worth the effort if your
source images are of adequate quality and important enough to you to want to
print them as best as possible.

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:09:20 GMT, "rick cameron" <rick.cameron@tee ee
el you ess dot en ee tee> wrote:

>I have a Canon 5200F scanner and a Canon i560 printer.
>
>In the driver for the scanner - ScanGear - under Preferences, there's a page
>for Colour Settings. The main choices are:
>
>- Recommended
>- Canon ColorGear
>- None
>
>Under Canon ColorGear, you can choose what appear to be colour profiles for
>the scanner and the printer.
>
>I'm wondering whether I would get the best colour fidelity if I explicitly
>choose a profile for the scanner and the printer - especially because
>they're both from the same manufacturer.
>
>The manual is useless, and so is Canon online support. I asked them about
>this, and their reply amounted to, 'we don't know enough to answer your
>question'!
>
>Is anyone familiar with ScanGear and/or ColorGear?
>
>Cheers
>
>- rick

I just got a 5200 (a replacement under an extended warranty), so this
is my second experience with Scangear and after experimenting with the
previous version and this one, the "Recommended" setting seems to
suffice. I found that the "Canon Colour Gear" setting took too much
experimentation with no appreciable differences from the Recommended
setting. Then again, it depends on what printer you're using. Mine
is an HP 5550.