Sign in with
Your question

How do you reinstall Win7 on a Gateway with no disc?

Last response: in Windows 7
March 22, 2011 5:37:14 PM

My wife bought a refurbished Gateway computer which we've had a lot of problems with. Long story short - I want to reinstall Windows in case there are corruptions or other issues.

Now, the last time I had to reinstall Windows was back in the day when we got discs. I googled how to do it and it pointed me to the control panel recover option, although when I try to do that - the computer informs me that I have no "image" to recover from. At the same time, my computer did not come with discs.

Am I missing something in this process? Any help appreciated and thank you.
March 22, 2011 5:44:12 PM

Go to Start, Run and enter diskmgmt.msc, this will display your drives and partitions. If there is an image to recover from you should have a several gig slice or chunk(?) set aside. If there is nothing like that then someone erased it when they installed Windows.

Who did you buy this from? You could call them and see if they will send you a replacement disk.

So unless you find the partition or the disks, the only other option left is to buy a copy of Win 7 Home and reinstall it yourself...

regards
m
l
March 23, 2011 10:55:25 AM

Download the windows 7 iso from the web and burn it in the disc and then reinstall windows.
m
l
March 23, 2011 11:51:34 AM

vvhocare5 said:
Go to Start, Run and enter diskmgmt.msc, this will display your drives and partitions. If there is an image to recover from you should have a several gig slice or chunk(?) set aside. If there is nothing like that then someone erased it when they installed Windows.

Who did you buy this from? You could call them and see if they will send you a replacement disk.

So unless you find the partition or the disks, the only other option left is to buy a copy of Win 7 Home and reinstall it yourself...

regards

I followed your instructions and it definitely "looks" as though I've got the manufacturer's image stored for recovery. I'm seeing what looks like two partitions actually. Here is everything that is showing:

Unnamed: 22g capacity and 22g free
CDROM (D):
Gateway (C): 1375g capacity and 1303g free
SYSTEM RESERVED: 100g capacity and 70g free

I'm guessing that the system reserved is the recovery partition?

So next up ... I entered recovery advanced options from the control panel and asked the computer to return my cpu to factory condition and erase all programs etc - BUT - after the computer shuts down and begins to initiate the process, a dialogue box pops up and says, "please complete operating system setup process before doing system recovery".

I have no idea what that means. Can anyone explain what the computer is asking me for with that?

Ty in advance.
m
l
!