Do I need to reinstall '95?

I can't start my Aptiva 2176-C65. I get a blue screen with "IBMNAV not
found in registry". Then later, "IBM Antivirus not correctly installed
etc." Another screen says "Windows has a problem accessing the system
registry". I can get booted to the 95 Startup Menu and into the command
prompt but can't get started in Safe Mode. And the Step by Step
procedure doesn't get me started. Am I rambling?

Can I re-install 95 without re-formatting and loosing all my stuff, and
do I need to? If so, how can I get the program? The IBM Recovery disk I
have with the unit will re-format and wipe everything. There's a Windows
95 Companion disk with it, but I understand this can't do a re-install.
Please help. Thanks.

Paul

I'm unsure what you mean by " the 95 Startup Menu". If you mean the
listing in DOS before Windows itself starts up (Normal startup, Safe
Mode startup, Command prompt, etc.), then try some DOS commands --
such as "dir" or "copy". If you are able to use these commands, then
use DOS commands to make backups (on floppy disks) of those files you
cannot afford to lose -- spreadsheets, financial records, letters,
reports, address lists, etc. You will then be protected from disaster.

If you cannot use DOS commands, try to start the computer with a
bootable floppy disk in drive A:. You can obtain a Windows Startup
Disk at:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Also, the Ultimate Boot Disk will: Restore corrupt system files; Flash
your PC bios; Scan your hard drive for viruses; Install or re-install
Windows; Extract cabinet files from the Windows CD; Scan your hard
drive for errors; Boot into the Windows graphical user interface; Run
DOS disk utilities like Partition Magic or Ghost; Partition your hard
drive; Backup your registry or transfer system files. 626kB. Windows
95/98/ME/NT/2000. Free at:

http://www.startdisk.com/Web1/ubd/ubd.htm

If you are able to start the computer with a floppy disk, then use DOS
commands to make backups (on floppy disks) of those files you cannot
afford to lose -- spreadsheets, financial records, letters, reports,
address lists, etc. You will then be protected from disaster.

IBM no longer distributes an antivirus product and they have not
offered updates for their antivirus for several years. Thus, you
computer's antivirus protection has been seriously out of date for
several years. You need to replace IBM's antivirus with another one.
When IBM stopped distributing their own antivirus program, they were
offering a free transition to another product (McAfee or Symantec, I(
don't recall which), but they may no longer be offering this today.
You need to ask IBM tech support about this.

When you cannot start in Safe Mode, the next obvious step would be to
reinstall Windows into a new empty folder. The following articles
explain how to install Windows into a new folder:

How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/96.asp

Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.

However, as you point out, "The IBM Recovery disk I have with the unit
will re-format and wipe everything." You can ask IBM tech support for
help. I don't know whether they can tell you how to reinstall Windows
without reformating. Or you can buy Windows 95 on the Internet. It has
sold for as little as $5 or $10.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)