Sign in with
Your question

A general question about A8N-E

Last response: in Motherboards
January 28, 2006 5:44:32 PM

hi,

I'm about to buy a new motherboard and i'm concidering ASUS A8N-E.
I've visited their forum (on ASUS web page) and i saw thousands of questions about boot/instaling windows/crapy driver problems.. And these questios are not dated a year ago or something like that - these are all recent problems..
I tryed to find reviews for this board over the Net, but i found only one, and unfortunately a pretty lousy one..

*perhaps a stupid question but .. *
Is this board a good choice? (any feedback from users who have this board would be nice)

I'm planing to put AMD 3200+ on it, GF6800GS, hard/optical drive (i heard maxtor and hitaci are not a good choice (compatibility issues?), Transcend RAM, Antec 400W as a PS..

thank you.

More about : general question a8n

January 29, 2006 1:51:13 AM

I ordered one as well, with an Opty 175, 2x512 ocz cas2 mem sticks and an x1800xt.... It'll be ready monday.

Shall install winxp sp2 and tell you how was everything....
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2006 2:06:13 AM

The board is fine. Asus sells so many that when you look at the website the small % of problems seems huge. With a 3200+ you are not likely to even need a BIOS update. Read Read Read the manual and take your time making good connections and all will be fine.

Do not buy a Maxtor drive for nForce4 boards. Seagate, WD, Hitachi are all OK.

I just installed a new Asus board today (A8N-VM CSM) and despite the website horrors the X2 posted as 2 CPUs and the 2Gig of ram runs dual channel just fine. I did flash the bios to make Cool & Quiet work right tho that's no biggie.

When you decide on the exact board, go to the memory OEM's website and have it tell you which sticks to buy. Corsair, Muskin, Crucial all have configurators. USE them and don't buy junk ram.
Related resources
January 29, 2006 2:54:11 AM

Quote:
Do not buy a Maxtor drive for nForce4 boards. Seagate, WD, Hitachi are all OK.

8O

Please corroborate...
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2006 3:28:33 PM

It's not a speed issue, it's a "will it work when I put it together" issue. It is just as easy to buy another brand of drive for the same $.

On the mobo side, other good alternatives also exist. EpoX EP-9NPA3 Ultra, Abit KN8 Ultra, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, AOpen NCK804us-LFS just to name a few. I have personally ALWAYS had good luck with Intel and Asus boards so I pay the premium $ and will until disappointed. EpoX and Foxconn seem today to be forum "value" favorites, while MSI has lost some of their shine. You will see some forum members who hate one particular brand (probably for good reason) and love others.
January 29, 2006 7:49:10 PM

mito, Newf.. thank you for your answers.. : )
January 30, 2006 12:10:05 AM

Quote:
hi,

I'm about to buy a new motherboard and i'm concidering ASUS A8N-E.
I've visited their forum (on ASUS web page) and i saw thousands of questions about boot/instaling windows/crapy driver problems.. And these questios are not dated a year ago or something like that - these are all recent problems..
I tryed to find reviews for this board over the Net, but i found only one, and unfortunately a pretty lousy one..

*perhaps a stupid question but .. *
Is this board a good choice? (any feedback from users who have this board would be nice)

I'm planing to put AMD 3200+ on it, GF6800GS, hard/optical drive (i heard maxtor and hitaci are not a good choice (compatibility issues?), Transcend RAM, Antec 400W as a PS..

thank you.

I've got an ASUS A8N-E mobo, but I had some of the "usual" problems people have w/ asus boards: particular the bride fan. The fan went bad within 2 months, so I contacted ASUS and they sent me an updated fan but I said screw it. I don't want the bridge fan to fail yet a second time so I went and purchased a heatsink (passive cooling solution) and pulled the mobo out then installed it. No problems after that...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

The only difference is that I didn't use the stock thermal paste that came with it. Instead I had some leftover AS5 that I used. It's never had an issue of overheating, but does get pretty hot to touch. I do have a front w/ back fan that has decent circulation.
January 30, 2006 3:49:52 AM

I have the SLI version of this board and it's awesome. Keep in mind that for every 1 person who has a problem, 50 more don't. It always look worse than it actually is. And I've found that a lot of the people who complain about this board are n00bs. :-)

However, there are KNOWN issues with the northbridge fan and the Maxtor HDD's. So keep that in mind.

-mpjesse
January 31, 2006 12:50:19 AM

rock solid.
installed winxp sp2, flawless.
found all hardware.

running win xp sp2, played codII, ss2...

no problems at all...
January 31, 2006 1:11:11 AM

Hello,

I agree with not using Maxtor sata drives with nforce4 boards (I have A8N-SLI Deluxe).

During Win XP install, it would hang for 1-2 minutes duing the boot phase before loading windows as normal thereafter.

WD SATA drives run fine w/o any issues.
January 31, 2006 1:53:13 AM

that's what i'm using, a wd sataII 250gb 16mb
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2006 7:02:53 PM

Quote:
rock solid.
installed winxp sp2, flawless.
found all hardware.

running win xp sp2, played codII, ss2...

no problems at all...

Another happy Asus owner. Sure hope Wusy sees this!
January 31, 2006 7:47:27 PM

Quote:
I just installed a new Asus board today (A8N-VM CSM) and despite the website horrors the X2 posted as 2 CPUs and the 2Gig of ram runs dual channel just fine.

Wow that came in handy, I was just considering the X2 on that board and while there have been lots of posts on some issues I have a lot of faith in Asus boards, not a cough in a carload.
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2006 9:56:57 PM

I think you'll like that combination.
While I'm online the X2 just idles away, temp=33c system temp=31c.
VCore=1.17 volts. Fans: CPU 2130rpm (set at 70%), system 880rpm. This thing has more cool and quiet than my Intel Northwood 2.4, and its FAR faster! When I'm doing actual work CPU temps hit 40-42c.
I set the temp alarm threshold at 44c and haven't hit it yet.
One caveat:
If you want to OC I would not recommend this board. No voltage adjustment are available in BIOS, and CL3 value ram works best.
Otherwise its a great setup. :D 
February 1, 2006 8:03:56 PM

I have two Maxtor HDD's on my A8N-SLI, with no problems at all
February 1, 2006 9:36:35 PM

Thanks Newf. I'm getting tired of the Thermaltake jet turbine on the Abit NF7/XP2500 and look forward to quiet and fast, without the tradeoff. This board of yours is like the modern version of my AN7266-VM when nForce2 made it to integrated boards, and that is still an excellent board exc for the slower FSB and lack of modern features. I really can use 2 Gigs of memory and it's just as well to run it at 3 since the lo latency sticks are pricy :wink:
February 2, 2006 5:10:16 PM

This seems like a good place to put this:
I've seen problems about people being unable to run their FSB at a certain speed while maintaining 1T timing with the A8N-E? Is this speed above the stock FSB speed? Would someone encounter problems running 2x1GB at 1T if they're not overclocking?
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2006 3:11:27 PM

I don't know, but...
Try putting your question on its own post.
Someone has to know this one.
!