Help needed - Windows will not restore to earlier point

August 23, 2004 3:02:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi
My copy of windows XP home has started acting up and i think either a virus
or malware has gotten on to it.
Although i use an upto date copy of Norton AV and a malware program call A2
and nothing has been found by either.
The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have appeared
on the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing.
The second is i have tried restoreing to an earlier point incase they came
in with an update or something but after going through the process and
rebooting i get the message that the system can not be restored to this
point pick another!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds
Kev
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 3:02:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Before you delete your option to restore by turning it off, I recall seeing a
repair setp that's worth trying first.
Turn your PC off , Insert your original windows xp install cd and after
answering the questions select option to repair windows.... I'm sorry my
response is vague, but I'm having a similar type of problem and am going to
try the repair option first. Let me know by e-mail reply if you try it and
it works...I'll update you as well. (The turn off restore option is
unreversable I think in terms of doing any existing restore ioptions you may
have now

"Subsea.UK" wrote:

> Hi
> My copy of windows XP home has started acting up and i think either a virus
> or malware has gotten on to it.
> Although i use an upto date copy of Norton AV and a malware program call A2
> and nothing has been found by either.
> The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have appeared
> on the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing.
> The second is i have tried restoreing to an earlier point incase they came
> in with an update or something but after going through the process and
> rebooting i get the message that the system can not be restored to this
> point pick another!!!
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Rgds
> Kev

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 3:02:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Here is the reference :-
Try repairing the Windows XP installation. To do so:
Turn off any antivirus program and BIOS-level antivirus protection. For
help, see the appropriate software manual or online Help.
Make sure that the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is the first priority startup
device in your computer's BIOS settings. See your computer's documentation
for information about how to do this.
Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then
restart your computer.
When the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt appears, press a key so that
your computer starts from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
When the computer starts from the CD-ROM, your hardware is checked, and then
you are prompted to select an option. Press ENTER.
Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
Your current Windows XP installation is listed, and then you are prompted to
select an option. Press R to start the automatic repair process. After
Windows XP is repaired, you may have to reactivate Windows XP if you changed
some hardware.
it is viewable at :-
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=322205&p...

Let me know how it pans out.

rsands@bahamas.net.bs

Rod

"Subsea.UK" wrote:

> Hi
> My copy of windows XP home has started acting up and i think either a virus
> or malware has gotten on to it.
> Although i use an upto date copy of Norton AV and a malware program call A2
> and nothing has been found by either.
> The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have appeared
> on the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing.
> The second is i have tried restoreing to an earlier point incase they came
> in with an update or something but after going through the process and
> rebooting i get the message that the system can not be restored to this
> point pick another!!!
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Rgds
> Kev

August 23, 2004 3:24:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

Have you checked your system for spyware?

Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/

As for System Restore, one or more of those files may have become corrupted:

Try turning SR off/on - but I'm afraid that you will lose any existing
checkpoints:

Right click My Computer, select Properties and then the System Restore tab.
Enable 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' and reboot your PC. After
that 1st reboot go back into SR and disable 'Turn off System Restore on all
drives' and reboot your PC again. After that 2nd reboot you should have one
new SR checkpoint

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Subsea.UK" <rubbishsubsea.uk@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> My copy of windows XP home has started acting up and i think either a
> virus
> or malware has gotten on to it.
> Although i use an upto date copy of Norton AV and a malware program call
> A2
> and nothing has been found by either.
> The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have
> appeared
> on the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing.
> The second is i have tried restoreing to an earlier point incase they came
> in with an update or something but after going through the process and
> rebooting i get the message that the system can not be restored to this
> point pick another!!!
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Rgds
> Kev

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 7:52:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Cheers Rod
I'll be looking at that, i have just downloaded another Malware detactor by
Lavasoft and it has found something called Blazefind another called
coolwebsearch and something called Alexa which are all spysoftware !! i am
gutted that Norton and A2 never found these or prevented them from getting
on the PC in the first place!! Just goes to show.
I'll be erasing these problem programs then doing a restore point and taking
it all from there.

Rgds
Kev

"rod_sands" <rod_sands@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is the reference :-
> Try repairing the Windows XP installation. To do so:
> Turn off any antivirus program and BIOS-level antivirus protection. For
> help, see the appropriate software manual or online Help.
> Make sure that the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is the first priority startup
> device in your computer's BIOS settings. See your computer's documentation
> for information about how to do this.
> Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then
> restart your computer.
> When the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt appears, press a key so
that
> your computer starts from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
> When the computer starts from the CD-ROM, your hardware is checked, and
then
> you are prompted to select an option. Press ENTER.
> Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
> Your current Windows XP installation is listed, and then you are prompted
> select an option. Press R to start the automatic repair process. After
> Windows XP is repaired, you may have to reactivate Windows XP if you
changed
> some hardware.
> it is viewable at :-
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=322205&p...
>
> Let me know how it pans out.
>
> rsands@bahamas.net.bs
>
> Rod
>

> "Subsea.UK" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > My copy of windows XP home has started acting up and i think either a
virus
> > or malware has gotten on to it.
> > Although i use an upto date copy of Norton AV and a malware program call
A2
> > and nothing has been found by either.
> > The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have
appeared
> > on the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing.
> > The second is i have tried restoreing to an earlier point incase they
came
> > in with an update or something but after going through the process and
> > rebooting i get the message that the system can not be restored to this
> > point pick another!!!
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Rgds
> > Kev

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 7:52:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi, Kev.

Rod's suggestion is for what Microsoft calls an "in-place upgrade" or a
"repair reinstallation". For the official version of Rod's instructions,
see this KB article:
How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q315341

AFTER the in-place upgrade, get your firewall and antivirus working again,
then visit Windows Update to be sure you have the latest Service Pack (now
SP2) and any later fixes (none yet, so far as I know).

Then, as advised so often here, be sure to "practice safe hex". Spyware and
much other malware are not viruses, so AV programs - no matter how good -
won't catch them or keep them from messing up your computer. You must get
and regularly use such programs as Ad-aware and SpyBot Search and Destroy to
get that garbage off and keep it off your computer. And remember that, with
any offer of free software or music or anything else, you usually "get more
than you pay for" in the form of spam - or worse. Most such garbage does
NOT get onto our computers by magic or by accident. We INVITE them to
infect us by accepting their "free" offers.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Subsea.UK" <rubbishsubsea.uk@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:o Zpo8CSiEHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>
>> rsands@bahamas.net.bs
>>
>> Rod
>>

>> "Subsea.UK" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi
>> > My copy of windows XP home has started acting up and i think either a
> virus
>> > or malware has gotten on to it.
>> > Although i use an upto date copy of Norton AV and a malware program
>> > call
> A2
>> > and nothing has been found by either.
>> > The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have
> appeared
>> > on the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing.
>> > The second is i have tried restoreing to an earlier point incase they
> came
>> > in with an update or something but after going through the process and
>> > rebooting i get the message that the system can not be restored to this

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 8:52:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Subsea--

I think your problems are easily fixed.

"The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have
appearedon the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing." I don't
know what your minor symptoms are. Here's what I'd do:

I am taking this info from an excellent site.

Troubleshooting Win XP, Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

Save Settings on Exit (Line 54 right)
Restore taskbar to default functionality (Line 164 left)
Restore taskbar and start menu (Line 117 Left)
Restore taskbar grouping (Line 218 right)
Prevent Manipulations of the Taskbar (262 Right)
Taskbar Repair toolbar plus! (Line 298 Left)

Also for further reference:

See taskbar article here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm

You may find this utility from Kelly useful:

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!:

*System Restore/System File Checker/Repairor Upgrade Install*

I'm a big advocate of a repair or upgrade install as Rod suggested when you
get to that point, but I think you're hardly there.

I'm glad Rod wrote it up though, because knowing about it would save a lot
more people's settings and data keep them from losing their whole OS when
they were not backed up optimally.

Also fortunately, most behavior in Windows that people reflexly want to
blame on a virus fortunately isn't--it's just Windows being Windows. The
other problem is that symptoms that a virus can cause often are mimicked by
other problems.

I use a repair install when I can't boot up to Windows or someone else
can't, and I can't F8 to Safe Mode and use SR, and I've tried LKG and it
won't work.Something else to always consider running is System File Checker.
I use it when I have a broken IE or OE that SFC cannot fix, but I think you
just need to fix your toolbar here. SFC is run by putting "sfc /scannow" in
the run box or at the command prompt; I like to run the /purgecache switch
first. I also like to use the regedit in the third reference to point it to
the hard drive service pack's install files, and then I don't have to have a
CD handy with a slipstream of my current service pack. If you make a
slipstream it doesn't matter.

Windows File Protection Feature
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222193&Product=winxp

Description of Windows XP System Filechecker
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747&Product=winxp

Intro to SFC and Adapting it to the Latest Service Pack
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

System File Checker Explained, Sort Of.....
http://users.westelcom.com/rogersr/sfc.htm

You haven't told us whether you are running Win XP SP RTM, SP1, or SP2 some
public build. With regard to SR, SP1 was an important milestone, because it
was quite unfortunate that while touting SR in Windows ME, taking it away in
Win 2K and restoring System Restore to XP that before SP1 there was a
"lockout" mechanism that was essentially roadblocking people from their SR
points. So while it gui looked like they had system restore,
physiologically or functionality wise they did not. The point here is that
if you haven't updated XP to either SP1 or SP2, you should if for no other
reason than to get your System Restore functional.

See:

Frequently Asked Questions About System Restore in Windows XP: What does
SP1 [and SP2] do for it?
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/p...

SR and AV
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831829&Product=winxp