Help needed - Windows will not restore to earlier point

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi
My copy of windows XP home has started acting up and i think either a virus
or malware has gotten on to it.
Although i use an upto date copy of Norton AV and a malware program call A2
and nothing has been found by either.
The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have appeared
on the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing.
The second is i have tried restoreing to an earlier point incase they came
in with an update or something but after going through the process and
rebooting i get the message that the system can not be restored to this
point pick another!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds
Kev
6 answers Last reply
More about help needed windows restore earlier point
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Before you delete your option to restore by turning it off, I recall seeing a
    repair setp that's worth trying first.
    Turn your PC off , Insert your original windows xp install cd and after
    answering the questions select option to repair windows.... I'm sorry my
    response is vague, but I'm having a similar type of problem and am going to
    try the repair option first. Let me know by e-mail reply if you try it and
    it works...I'll update you as well. (The turn off restore option is
    unreversable I think in terms of doing any existing restore ioptions you may
    have now

    "Subsea.UK" wrote:

    > Hi
    > My copy of windows XP home has started acting up and i think either a virus
    > or malware has gotten on to it.
    > Although i use an upto date copy of Norton AV and a malware program call A2
    > and nothing has been found by either.
    > The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have appeared
    > on the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing.
    > The second is i have tried restoreing to an earlier point incase they came
    > in with an update or something but after going through the process and
    > rebooting i get the message that the system can not be restored to this
    > point pick another!!!
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Rgds
    > Kev

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Here is the reference :-
    Try repairing the Windows XP installation. To do so:
    Turn off any antivirus program and BIOS-level antivirus protection. For
    help, see the appropriate software manual or online Help.
    Make sure that the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is the first priority startup
    device in your computer's BIOS settings. See your computer's documentation
    for information about how to do this.
    Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then
    restart your computer.
    When the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt appears, press a key so that
    your computer starts from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
    When the computer starts from the CD-ROM, your hardware is checked, and then
    you are prompted to select an option. Press ENTER.
    Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
    Your current Windows XP installation is listed, and then you are prompted to
    select an option. Press R to start the automatic repair process. After
    Windows XP is repaired, you may have to reactivate Windows XP if you changed
    some hardware.
    it is viewable at :-
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=322205&product=winxp

    Let me know how it pans out.

    rsands@bahamas.net.bs

    Rod

    "Subsea.UK" wrote:

    > Hi
    > My copy of windows XP home has started acting up and i think either a virus
    > or malware has gotten on to it.
    > Although i use an upto date copy of Norton AV and a malware program call A2
    > and nothing has been found by either.
    > The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have appeared
    > on the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing.
    > The second is i have tried restoreing to an earlier point incase they came
    > in with an update or something but after going through the process and
    > rebooting i get the message that the system can not be restored to this
    > point pick another!!!
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Rgds
    > Kev

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi

    Have you checked your system for spyware?

    Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/

    As for System Restore, one or more of those files may have become corrupted:

    Try turning SR off/on - but I'm afraid that you will lose any existing
    checkpoints:

    Right click My Computer, select Properties and then the System Restore tab.
    Enable 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' and reboot your PC. After
    that 1st reboot go back into SR and disable 'Turn off System Restore on all
    drives' and reboot your PC again. After that 2nd reboot you should have one
    new SR checkpoint

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Subsea.UK" <rubbishsubsea.uk@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > My copy of windows XP home has started acting up and i think either a
    > virus
    > or malware has gotten on to it.
    > Although i use an upto date copy of Norton AV and a malware program call
    > A2
    > and nothing has been found by either.
    > The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have
    > appeared
    > on the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing.
    > The second is i have tried restoreing to an earlier point incase they came
    > in with an update or something but after going through the process and
    > rebooting i get the message that the system can not be restored to this
    > point pick another!!!
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Rgds
    > Kev

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Cheers Rod
    I'll be looking at that, i have just downloaded another Malware detactor by
    Lavasoft and it has found something called Blazefind another called
    coolwebsearch and something called Alexa which are all spysoftware !! i am
    gutted that Norton and A2 never found these or prevented them from getting
    on the PC in the first place!! Just goes to show.
    I'll be erasing these problem programs then doing a restore point and taking
    it all from there.

    Rgds
    Kev

    "rod_sands" <rod_sands@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here is the reference :-
    > Try repairing the Windows XP installation. To do so:
    > Turn off any antivirus program and BIOS-level antivirus protection. For
    > help, see the appropriate software manual or online Help.
    > Make sure that the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is the first priority startup
    > device in your computer's BIOS settings. See your computer's documentation
    > for information about how to do this.
    > Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then
    > restart your computer.
    > When the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt appears, press a key so
    that
    > your computer starts from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
    > When the computer starts from the CD-ROM, your hardware is checked, and
    then
    > you are prompted to select an option. Press ENTER.
    > Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
    > Your current Windows XP installation is listed, and then you are prompted
    > select an option. Press R to start the automatic repair process. After
    > Windows XP is repaired, you may have to reactivate Windows XP if you
    changed
    > some hardware.
    > it is viewable at :-
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=322205&product=winxp
    >
    > Let me know how it pans out.
    >
    > rsands@bahamas.net.bs
    >
    > Rod
    >

    > "Subsea.UK" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > > My copy of windows XP home has started acting up and i think either a
    virus
    > > or malware has gotten on to it.
    > > Although i use an upto date copy of Norton AV and a malware program call
    A2
    > > and nothing has been found by either.
    > > The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have
    appeared
    > > on the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing.
    > > The second is i have tried restoreing to an earlier point incase they
    came
    > > in with an update or something but after going through the process and
    > > rebooting i get the message that the system can not be restored to this
    > > point pick another!!!
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Rgds
    > > Kev

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi, Kev.

    Rod's suggestion is for what Microsoft calls an "in-place upgrade" or a
    "repair reinstallation". For the official version of Rod's instructions,
    see this KB article:
    How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q315341

    AFTER the in-place upgrade, get your firewall and antivirus working again,
    then visit Windows Update to be sure you have the latest Service Pack (now
    SP2) and any later fixes (none yet, so far as I know).

    Then, as advised so often here, be sure to "practice safe hex". Spyware and
    much other malware are not viruses, so AV programs - no matter how good -
    won't catch them or keep them from messing up your computer. You must get
    and regularly use such programs as Ad-aware and SpyBot Search and Destroy to
    get that garbage off and keep it off your computer. And remember that, with
    any offer of free software or music or anything else, you usually "get more
    than you pay for" in the form of spam - or worse. Most such garbage does
    NOT get onto our computers by magic or by accident. We INVITE them to
    infect us by accepting their "free" offers.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

> [...]
    >>
    >> rsands@bahamas.net.bs
    >>
    >> Rod
    >>

    >> "Subsea.UK" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi
    >> > My copy of windows XP home has started acting up and i think either a
    > virus
    >> > or malware has gotten on to it.
    >> > Although i use an upto date copy of Norton AV and a malware program
    >> > call
    > A2
    >> > and nothing has been found by either.
    >> > The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have
    > appeared
    >> > on the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing.
    >> > The second is i have tried restoreing to an earlier point incase they
    > came
    >> > in with an update or something but after going through the process and
    >> > rebooting i get the message that the system can not be restored to this

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Subsea--

    I think your problems are easily fixed.

    "The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have
    appearedon the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing." I don't
    know what your minor symptoms are. Here's what I'd do:

    I am taking this info from an excellent site.

    Troubleshooting Win XP, Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

    Save Settings on Exit (Line 54 right)
    Restore taskbar to default functionality (Line 164 left)
    Restore taskbar and start menu (Line 117 Left)
    Restore taskbar grouping (Line 218 right)
    Prevent Manipulations of the Taskbar (262 Right)
    Taskbar Repair toolbar plus! (Line 298 Left)

    Also for further reference:

    See taskbar article here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm

    You may find this utility from Kelly useful:

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!:

    *System Restore/System File Checker/Repairor Upgrade Install*

    I'm a big advocate of a repair or upgrade install as Rod suggested when you
    get to that point, but I think you're hardly there.

    I'm glad Rod wrote it up though, because knowing about it would save a lot
    more people's settings and data keep them from losing their whole OS when
    they were not backed up optimally.

    Also fortunately, most behavior in Windows that people reflexly want to
    blame on a virus fortunately isn't--it's just Windows being Windows. The
    other problem is that symptoms that a virus can cause often are mimicked by
    other problems.

    I use a repair install when I can't boot up to Windows or someone else
    can't, and I can't F8 to Safe Mode and use SR, and I've tried LKG and it
    won't work.Something else to always consider running is System File Checker.
    I use it when I have a broken IE or OE that SFC cannot fix, but I think you
    just need to fix your toolbar here. SFC is run by putting "sfc /scannow" in
    the run box or at the command prompt; I like to run the /purgecache switch
    first. I also like to use the regedit in the third reference to point it to
    the hard drive service pack's install files, and then I don't have to have a
    CD handy with a slipstream of my current service pack. If you make a
    slipstream it doesn't matter.

    Windows File Protection Feature
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222193&Product=winxp

    Description of Windows XP System Filechecker
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747&Product=winxp

    Intro to SFC and Adapting it to the Latest Service Pack
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    System File Checker Explained, Sort Of.....
    http://users.westelcom.com/rogersr/sfc.htm

    You haven't told us whether you are running Win XP SP RTM, SP1, or SP2 some
    public build. With regard to SR, SP1 was an important milestone, because it
    was quite unfortunate that while touting SR in Windows ME, taking it away in
    Win 2K and restoring System Restore to XP that before SP1 there was a
    "lockout" mechanism that was essentially roadblocking people from their SR
    points. So while it gui looked like they had system restore,
    physiologically or functionality wise they did not. The point here is that
    if you haven't updated XP to either SP1 or SP2, you should if for no other
    reason than to get your System Restore functional.

    See:

    Frequently Asked Questions About System Restore in Windows XP: What does
    SP1 [and SP2] do for it?
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx

    SR and AV
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831829&Product=winxp

    hth,

    Chad Harris

    "Subsea.UK" <rubbishsubsea.uk@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    Hi
    My copy of windows XP home has started acting up and i think either a virus
    or malware has gotten on to it.
    Although i use an upto date copy of Norton AV and a malware program call A2
    and nothing has been found by either.
    The main symptoms are a search button and quick launch button have appeared
    on the task bar and i can't get them to stop appearing.
    The second is i have tried restoreing to an earlier point incase they came
    in with an update or something but after going through the process and
    rebooting i get the message that the system can not be restored to this
    point pick another!!!

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Rgds
    Kev

Malware Configuration Microsoft Windows XP