Sign in with
Your question

Difference between DVD-R and DVD+R.

Last response: in Storage
January 28, 2006 6:57:17 PM

What is the major difference between these two designations? Is it just format? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

More about : difference dvd dvd

January 28, 2006 7:32:25 PM

the dvd+r can be burned faster, is designed for data but used for everything, the dvd-r is compatible and more reliable when burning a movie but can be used for anything...

so dvd+rw have a significant speed advantadge as the rw aren't meant to be compatible with everything
January 30, 2006 11:37:33 PM

So what you are saying MORG is that if you were to burn movies rather choose DVD-R not +R?

This is new to me! All this time I have been burning movies in DVD+R and some of the movies do not burn completely. Before the movie ends the movie starts to flicker. If this is the case then I will switch to using DVD-R.

Correct me if I am wrong about doing this change.
Related resources
January 31, 2006 12:19:42 AM

Quote:
What is the major difference between these two designations? Is it just format? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

IMO...DVD-R and DVD+R were basically two separate standards that companies did not agree with. While Sony and Apple initially used strictly the DVD - media, Dell, HP, Toshiba, and Compaq used the DVD + media. They learned quickly that having two formats would cause hell for tech support (as it still does) so eventually everyone decided to use DVD burners that support both. The DVD-R's are not any more reliable IMO as DVD+R's are--for anything. DVD+R = more support with legacy drives, more media available, faster, more compatible, cheaper, and easier to use. DVD-R flunked, and now they claim to be more reliable so people will use them over +R's, but I've yet to see any DVD+R lose any data or "go bad", I think there's just a bunch of guys trying hard to keep -R's alive so they simply lie on "reliability" comparisons.

That's just me.
January 31, 2006 1:14:19 AM

Hello,

Visit a dvd+rw org. THey have like a slew of items what makes DVD+R and +RW better.

If you are doing nothing more than copying DVD's or backing up data, +r and -r doesn't make a big difference. They tend to have +r do better in dvd authoring (ie menus, chapters, previews, and other goodies).
January 31, 2006 1:43:44 AM

To add to bourgeoisdude and Admiral, you see I have two DVD players.
One is older than the other. I burn a DVD+R and on the new DVD it plays like a charm on the old DVD it plays bad and skips more than on the new one.

Just for the heck of it I will try to burn a DVD-R and see if it plays ok on both DVD players. If it does then I will put the DVD+R on the side cause all I do with them is burn movies.

Now regarding burning movies does it matter if I burn them at 8x or 4x or 16x?
January 31, 2006 1:50:41 AM

Hello,

Like audio, burning at the slower speed tends to be better for movies. You are more than welcome to try and post your results.

Burning at 16x is for backing up data, your 4 gb mp3 collection, etc where speed is more important among other things.
!