Delete 95 to Install 98?

I had an old computer with Win 98 installed, this machine
blew up (power surge) and was beyond repair.

I have now acquired an older machine with 95 installed
(36MB RAM). I have the installation disks for the full
win 98 system, but can i delete the 95 and install 98?

If so is this easy for a computer novice or is it an
expert job?

Many thanks for any feedback

As long as you have the full retail boxed version of Windows 98 you are
allowed to move the OS to a new computer. Each copy of the Operating
System (OS) should be installed on only ONE computer at a time. You will
need to enter the Product Key from the yellow sticker on the back of the
CD jewel case. Later versions of Windows probably have cardstock
sleeves instead of the plastic jewel cases.

Many computers were sold with OEM (Original Equipment Manufaturer)
versions of Windows that are only licensed to be installed on the
computer that they were sold with. The product keys for OEM versions are
ussually on adhesive stckers attached to the front of a "Getting Started
With Windows..." manual or the exterior of the computer. Some OEM CDs
only include drivers for the system they were sold with OR enforce the
original machine bonding with a hardware verification during OS
installation.

Rachell wrote:

> I had an old computer with Win 98 installed, this machine
> blew up (power surge) and was beyond repair.
>
> I have now acquired an older machine with 95 installed
> (36MB RAM). I have the installation disks for the full
> win 98 system, but can i delete the 95 and install 98?
>
> If so is this easy for a computer novice or is it an
> expert job?
>
> Many thanks for any feedback

Thanks for the reply. The original system was a recon PC
I have the Cert of Authenticity and the product key
sticker (this came with the PC but was already installed).
Have you any idea of how I can install 98 on the new 95
system? I don't want to damage the new system and end up
without anything! Do you think its a job for the experts?

Thanks again for your help

There is a description of the process here:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html
W98 RESTORE DISK AND INSTALLATION PROCEDURES
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Rachell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply. The original system was a recon PC
> I have the Cert of Authenticity and the product key
> sticker (this came with the PC but was already installed).
> Have you any idea of how I can install 98 on the new 95
> system? I don't want to damage the new system and end up
> without anything! Do you think its a job for the experts?
>
> Thanks again for your help

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

This may be a route I may need to take shortly as Jeff knows of my
problem. I read the site Jeff posted. I did not find any reference to
installing w98 over w95. I too would like to know if this is for the
experts or can we do it with what we have??? Bryan

Jeff Richards wrote:

> There is a description of the process here:
> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html
> W98 RESTORE DISK AND INSTALLATION PROCEDURES

What exactly is it that you are trying to do, and what point in the process
have you run into a difficulty?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This may be a route I may need to take shortly as Jeff knows of my
> problem. I read the site Jeff posted. I did not find any reference to
> installing w98 over w95. I too would like to know if this is for the
> experts or can we do it with what we have??? Bryan

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My earlier post outlines my course ofaction and next step. For now I am
out of here. Thanks for sll the help and time. So long and keep up the
good work....Bryan