Newbie - lost volume control - cross post

Tags:
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
October 7, 2004 12:17:08 PM

This is a cross post from Multimedia - apologies, but this
group looks more active, and I really need some advice.
Thanks for your forebearance.

Hi all,
I'm a Dell Win95 user - out of date, but so it goes.
Have searched Win95 groups for this issue but haven't
found anything specific to my problem. Please help or
redirect me if necessary.
Have recently lost the volume control icon in Systray.
No sound capability at all - no audio CD's, no
Windows .wav sounds at boot or shutdown, etc. The "show
icon on Task Bar" check box is grayed out. Computer was
bought with Montego audio. The Montego control display is
there but has no effect.
Will provide whatever info is needed to track this
issue to repair. Have done some searching on the web and
have found discussions of uninstall/regedit/reinstall, but
want to discover any other views before climbing in. I'm
a frequent participant in the Access and Excel newsgroups,
so I'm betting that if help is available I'll find it
here. Many thanks in advance for any responses.

HCJ

More about : newbie lost volume control cross post

October 7, 2004 5:06:28 PM

"HCJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is a cross post from Multimedia - apologies, but this
> group looks more active, and I really need some advice.
> Thanks for your forebearance.
>
> Hi all,
> I'm a Dell Win95 user - out of date, but so it goes.
> Have searched Win95 groups for this issue but haven't
> found anything specific to my problem. Please help or
> redirect me if necessary.
> Have recently lost the volume control icon in Systray.
> No sound capability at all - no audio CD's, no
> Windows .wav sounds at boot or shutdown, etc. The "show
> icon on Task Bar" check box is grayed out. Computer was
> bought with Montego audio. The Montego control display is
> there but has no effect.
> Will provide whatever info is needed to track this
> issue to repair. Have done some searching on the web and
> have found discussions of uninstall/regedit/reinstall, but
> want to discover any other views before climbing in. I'm
> a frequent participant in the Access and Excel newsgroups,
> so I'm betting that if help is available I'll find it
> here. Many thanks in advance for any responses.
>
> HCJ

general procedure is as you describe...a removal and reinstall of the
drivers

if no joy .. troubleshoot from there
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 5:06:29 PM

Thanks for reply - will hang around a bit and then give it
a whirl. If you have any specific info about step-by-step
procedure and cautions, would appreciate. Otherwise,
thanks again for picking it up.

October 8, 2004 12:28:53 PM

I don't know why you would be so reluctant to follow the advice you have
already found, but the only other thing you could do is to narrow the
problem down a bit. Is it MIDI or WAV or CD sound or all three, can you
record, can you hear through the CD player front-panel connector, what
happened when the sound disappeared and can you reverse it, etc.

Standard diagnostic procedure is to remove and reinstall, either the drivers
or the whole sound card and its software.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> Thanks for reply - will hang around a bit and then give it
> a whirl. If you have any specific info about step-by-step
> procedure and cautions, would appreciate. Otherwise,
> thanks again for picking it up.

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 12:41:27 PM

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the input. Slight hesitation due to bad
experience trying this sort of thing before - lost
partitions/data and general gloom thereafter. Both
incidents seem to be related to attempts to load antivirus
software. I'm NOT experienced with OS tinkering, so Im
looking for something simple or some over-the-shoulder
advice as I go through the steps.
I've lost all sound types through the speakers -
haven't tested the CD jack yet. I have never done
recording, so that's new territory. Double-clicking on
any type of sound file pulls up the player but no sound,
even though play progress is showing. Not sure exactly
when the problem occurred, but a family member reports
that a recent e-greeting card session at Hallmark played
okay.
Uninstall/reinstall seems to be the thing to do, but
you've also given me some new diagnostic ideas - much
appreciated. Will try these (at home, later) - I am a
little suspicious of the card itself now. I plan to do a
major backup first and then work my way through the steps
previously advised.
If you are still following the thread, I would like to
post back for "flight instructions" if you can help me
there.
Thanks again. HCJ

Anonymous
October 9, 2004 11:20:43 AM

I cannot imagine any circumstance in which deleting and re-installing the
sound card drivers would create the sort of problems you mention, unless
perhaps the drivers are from a suspect source and actually contain a trojan,
which I guess is possible.

What is possible is that the sound card problem is just a symptom of another
problem, such as disk drive errors, in which case any significant system
work runs a risk of deleting other stuff and creating a cascade of issues.
That doesn't seem likely from your description.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> Hi Jeff,
> Thanks for the input. Slight hesitation due to bad
> experience trying this sort of thing before - lost
> partitions/data and general gloom thereafter. Both
> incidents seem to be related to attempts to load antivirus
> software. I'm NOT experienced with OS tinkering, so Im
> looking for something simple or some over-the-shoulder
> advice as I go through the steps.
> I've lost all sound types through the speakers -
> haven't tested the CD jack yet. I have never done
> recording, so that's new territory. Double-clicking on
> any type of sound file pulls up the player but no sound,
> even though play progress is showing. Not sure exactly
> when the problem occurred, but a family member reports
> that a recent e-greeting card session at Hallmark played
> okay.
> Uninstall/reinstall seems to be the thing to do, but
> you've also given me some new diagnostic ideas - much
> appreciated. Will try these (at home, later) - I am a
> little suspicious of the card itself now. I plan to do a
> major backup first and then work my way through the steps
> previously advised.
> If you are still following the thread, I would like to
> post back for "flight instructions" if you can help me
> there.
> Thanks again. HCJ
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 10:51:37 PM

Hi again, Jeff,
Have done some things, but no joy. Finally found a
screen that says the following drivers are not functioning:
msacm.drv; midimap.drv; serwvdrv.drv

These are all present in Windows/System. Only
serwvdrv.drv is on the Win95 CD; I suspect the others are
loaded with the Turtle Bay Montego audio software.
Serwvdrv.drv seems to be related to the modem card (US
Robotics 56K), which does its beeping when dialing up.

The CD player jack works okay.

Dismounted the sound card, rebooted without, remounted,
rebooted; no success. Caught a "sys reconfig" notice
during the reboots, indicating that the system recognized
that something changed, and then changed again.

Uninstalled audio software from Control
Panel/Add_Remove, reinstalled from the original CD; no
success.

Found the Montego diagnostics disk. It runs a card
test, playing tones through left and right speakers. THESE
PLAYED; test "passed", but still no sound from a source.
This tells me that the card is probably okay, but WINDOWS
doesn't see it.

Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Sound video and game
controllers sees two devices: my Altec USB speakers and the
"wave device for voice modem". I keep expecting to see a
specific reference to a sound card, but I don't find it
anywhere.

As a rank amateur in this hardware stuff, I'm not sure
whether I've actually done a driver uninstall/reinstall or
not. I feel that I've missed something.

If you are still with me, I appreciate it, although it
must be a bit offputting for you. At this point I've run
out of things to try. If you can tease anything out of the
above, I'd be grateful to have your opinion.

Thanks, HCJ

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 7:09:33 PM

The wave device for voice modem and the speakers don't appear to be part of
the problem. The audio software in Control Panel / Add remove programs
isn't part of it either - that's just some additional sound utilities. You
are looking for sound card devices in device manager listed under the
heading of Sound, video and game controllers, as you have guessed. Boot to
safe mode and look in device manager, and if there's something there then
delete it and reboot.

Go to Add New Hardware and attempt to add the exact sound card driver for
your hardware, either as a result of Windows detecting it or, if it's not
detected, by selecting from a list. If it's not included in the Windows
device list, insert whatever CD you have and see if Windows can find the
drivers, or you can find a folder on the CD that has the appropriate
drivers.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> Hi again, Jeff,
> Have done some things, but no joy. Finally found a
> screen that says the following drivers are not functioning:
> msacm.drv; midimap.drv; serwvdrv.drv
>
> These are all present in Windows/System. Only
> serwvdrv.drv is on the Win95 CD; I suspect the others are
> loaded with the Turtle Bay Montego audio software.
> Serwvdrv.drv seems to be related to the modem card (US
> Robotics 56K), which does its beeping when dialing up.
>
> The CD player jack works okay.
>
> Dismounted the sound card, rebooted without, remounted,
> rebooted; no success. Caught a "sys reconfig" notice
> during the reboots, indicating that the system recognized
> that something changed, and then changed again.
>
> Uninstalled audio software from Control
> Panel/Add_Remove, reinstalled from the original CD; no
> success.
>
> Found the Montego diagnostics disk. It runs a card
> test, playing tones through left and right speakers. THESE
> PLAYED; test "passed", but still no sound from a source.
> This tells me that the card is probably okay, but WINDOWS
> doesn't see it.
>
> Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Sound video and game
> controllers sees two devices: my Altec USB speakers and the
> "wave device for voice modem". I keep expecting to see a
> specific reference to a sound card, but I don't find it
> anywhere.
>
> As a rank amateur in this hardware stuff, I'm not sure
> whether I've actually done a driver uninstall/reinstall or
> not. I feel that I've missed something.
>
> If you are still with me, I appreciate it, although it
> must be a bit offputting for you. At this point I've run
> out of things to try. If you can tease anything out of the
> above, I'd be grateful to have your opinion.
>
> Thanks, HCJ
October 29, 2004 4:54:03 PM

I have been using the home pc for a few years now. I am definitely no
expert to say the least. I have been fortunate to not have had service
techs come to my aid except once which cost me several hundred dollars
for his short visit. I thought this was a bit high but none the less the
problem was resolved within moments as I could have made my problem much
more severe. Now to your problem. I too have experienced similar sound
card problems. I reinstalled the hardware and software and problem was
resolved. Once I just reformatted the system and the result was
positive. Now these may be drastic measures but I am new to this stuff
so I thought a little experimenting using the helps and troubleshooters
provided in windows, I could most of the time rectify the issue. There
may be simpler procedures but hopefully those will come with experience
and much reading/study. This is where I am at. You are definitely on a
decent board and the help you need will most likely be forthcoming but
one needs patience. Good luck...Bryan