To Rubio - VPN Advice

Rubio,

Thanks for the advice, however will I need two VPN's, as I was thinking
about using the BT managed service BTnet MetroVPN.

For example to connect the two offices, will I need to have each of the
lines connected to the BT network, therefore requiring two separate lines,
as I want each of the offices to be able to communicate with each other.

Regards,

Rachel
1 answer Last reply
More about rubio advice

    > Thanks for the advice, however will I need two VPN's, as I was thinking
    > about using the BT managed service BTnet MetroVPN.
    >
    > For example to connect the two offices, will I need to have each of the
    > lines connected to the BT network, therefore requiring two separate lines,
    > as I want each of the offices to be able to communicate with each other.

    I'm not really familiar with ISP-provided VPNs but I would think that
    both ends have to use the same ISP. You'd better ask BTnet.
    ISP-provided VPN is probably the best solution if you are not familiar
    with VPN protocols and don't want configure the VPN yourself. I would,
    however, do a thorough comparison of the cost. If you do the whole
    thing yourself, you obviously have to buy equipment and spend time
    configuring it, but once it's up and running, there are no other
    costs. For an ISP-provided solution you probably get high-end
    equipment and professionals to do the configuration but pay a monthly
    fee. The ISP might also be able to provide QoS. This is actually
    something I recommend you ask BTnet.

    BTW, there are a couple of good introductory articles on VPN. Check
    out

    http://compnetworking.about.com/library/weekly/aa010701a.htm

    -- Rubio

VPN Connection Networking