To Rubio - VPN Advice

Rachel

Rubio,

Thanks for the advice, however will I need two VPN's, as I was thinking
about using the BT managed service BTnet MetroVPN.

For example to connect the two offices, will I need to have each of the
lines connected to the BT network, therefore requiring two separate lines,
as I want each of the offices to be able to communicate with each other.

Regards,

Rachel

> Thanks for the advice, however will I need two VPN's, as I was thinking
> about using the BT managed service BTnet MetroVPN.
>
> For example to connect the two offices, will I need to have each of the
> lines connected to the BT network, therefore requiring two separate lines,
> as I want each of the offices to be able to communicate with each other.

I'm not really familiar with ISP-provided VPNs but I would think that
both ends have to use the same ISP. You'd better ask BTnet.
ISP-provided VPN is probably the best solution if you are not familiar
with VPN protocols and don't want configure the VPN yourself. I would,
however, do a thorough comparison of the cost. If you do the whole
thing yourself, you obviously have to buy equipment and spend time
configuring it, but once it's up and running, there are no other
costs. For an ISP-provided solution you probably get high-end
equipment and professionals to do the configuration but pay a monthly
fee. The ISP might also be able to provide QoS. This is actually
something I recommend you ask BTnet.

BTW, there are a couple of good introductory articles on VPN. Check
out

http://compnetworking.about.com/library/weekly/aa010701a.htm

-- Rubio

TRENDING THREADS