Problem accessing CD ROM Drive

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have recently had occasion to start using a IBM Aptiva
with Windows 95 that has been little used for the last
two years.

I wanted to install a program from the CD ROM drive but
get the following message:

D:\ is not available
The device is not ready.

I don't recall ever getting that before.

I have read Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 137114 which
addresses setting the proper CD ROM speed in Windows 95.
I have tried all of the available settings with no
success.

I finally have a use for the old computer if I can get
the CD ROM drive to work.

Any help anyone can give me certainly will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Try cleaning the drive with a standard audio CD drive cleaning disc, if it will
autorun it. If that does not work or does not help, the drive may be bad, or the
data ribbon cable on the back of the drive may have come loose from the connector on
the drive or on the motherboard.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm