Windows95 Registry File

Greetings,

My Windows95 computer states that the registry is
corrupted, and will not boot up in Safe Mode. I get a
dialogue box that states use the backup file, and re-
start. It seems like something is done, but after re-boot
the same dialogue box appears.

Question: What is the filename of the registry? Is
it easily replaceable, or repairable outside the windows
environment.

Another dialogue box states to re-install windows.
Not quite sure what this will do for me. Will it just
create a NEW registry file, or attempt to do a total re-
install, or affect some files that I wish not to change.

I can shift-F5, with no problems. Scandisk found
some lost clusters, and saved them. Other than that the
hard drive seems to be OK.

Thanks in advanced for any information that all of
you have to offer me.
1 answer Last reply
More about windows95 registry file

    Do the following to restore the registry.

    1. Turn on your computer
    2. When you see "Starting Windows 95" press the F8 key.
    3. Select Command prompt only
    4. Type cd C:\Windows and press ENTER (this is assuming your windows folder is
    located on the C drive.
    5. Type the following commands. Hit ENTER after each line
    attrib -h -r -s system.dat
    attrib -h -r -s system.da0 (Note: that's a zero on the end)
    attrib -h -r -s user.dat
    attrib -h -r -s user.da0
    copy system.da0 system.dat
    copy user.da0 user.dat