Windows95 Registry File

Scott

Greetings,

My Windows95 computer states that the registry is
corrupted, and will not boot up in Safe Mode. I get a
dialogue box that states use the backup file, and re-
start. It seems like something is done, but after re-boot
the same dialogue box appears.

Question: What is the filename of the registry? Is
it easily replaceable, or repairable outside the windows
environment.

Another dialogue box states to re-install windows.
Not quite sure what this will do for me. Will it just
create a NEW registry file, or attempt to do a total re-
install, or affect some files that I wish not to change.

I can shift-F5, with no problems. Scandisk found
some lost clusters, and saved them. Other than that the
hard drive seems to be OK.

Thanks in advanced for any information that all of
you have to offer me.

Do the following to restore the registry.

1. Turn on your computer
2. When you see "Starting Windows 95" press the F8 key.
3. Select Command prompt only
4. Type cd C:\Windows and press ENTER (this is assuming your windows folder is
located on the C drive.
5. Type the following commands. Hit ENTER after each line
attrib -h -r -s system.dat
attrib -h -r -s system.da0 (Note: that's a zero on the end)
attrib -h -r -s user.dat
attrib -h -r -s user.da0
copy system.da0 system.dat
copy user.da0 user.dat