slow/spyware/general chaos

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
October 13, 2004 11:05:01 PM

my win 95 pc has many issues. it runs extremely slow, and it has spyware, so
that the homepage is always reset to "cool search engine"... weve all had
this happen. also, i get an error message when i virus scan (mcaffee from
1996) that msbb size is misreported" I also get random error messages (havent
recorded)

how can i fix the homepage. How can i speed it up and fix all the random
problems
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 3:12:36 AM

When you say you have McAfee anti-virus from 1996, you don't mean it hasn't been
updated since then, do you?? The anti-virus app must be updated regularly....I
update daily....and if you are not current with your virus definition files, the app
is worse than useless.

Here is what you need to do to begin getting rid of the spyware:

Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.
You can also try an online virus scan:
http://aumha.org/secure.php#freeav

Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

Install Ad-Aware SE free edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates' link in
the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what it
finds.
Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove
the items in RED only.
SpyBot S&D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

Install SpywareBlaster:
Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
all protection'.
Update at least weekly.

Download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these locations:
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.e...
Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick
HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
similar).
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at one of these forums:
http://computercops.biz/forums.html

In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
it.

The folks there will tell you what to remove.

See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

Additional reading:

Home Page Hijacking - Has Your Browser Been Hijacked?
http://www.gmpservicesinc.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabin...
and
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm

Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
and

Note for Windows 95:
In order to use many of the programs I mention, on Windows 95, you will have to
install the Winsock 2 Update for Windows 95, AND the Visual Basic 6 Runtime
libraries:

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/default.as...
for the Winsock 2 Update for Win 95, and the Year 2000 Update for Winsock 2.

Winsock 2:
http://snipurl.com/5ley

Read all the info on the web page, and all the links.
Also linked on that page, under Recommended Updates- Networking, is the Year 2000
Update for Winsock2, which must be installed afterwards:
Microsoft DUN 1.3 and Winsock2 Year 2000 Update
http://snipurl.com/2gtw

VBRun60sp6.exe installs Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 run-time files:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290887
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm