Best Programmng Language to replace eVB?

September 13, 2004 10:52:27 PM

Some time ago I wrote a program for the pocketPC in eVB. Very nice program
that has sold well for me over time. Of late, however, users are not happy
that it is in eVB and requires the eVB runtime. If I was to reproduce the
program in a more preferred language today, what language should I use?

James L.
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 12:31:08 AM

JamesL wrote:
> Some time ago I wrote a program for the pocketPC in eVB. Very nice program
> that has sold well for me over time. Of late, however, users are not happy
> that it is in eVB and requires the eVB runtime. If I was to reproduce the
> program in a more preferred language today, what language should I use?
>
> James L.

Have a look at the .NET suite and the .NET Compact Framework. Nice
porting apps between desktop and CF too, and the same apps (generally)
run on smartphones with minimal tweaking.

As for the actual language to use, take your pick. VB.NET, C#, J#,
heck, they've even made Python run within .NET.

Afaik the CF runtimes are in newer releases of PPC anyway, but if
somebody could clarify that?
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 3:28:21 PM

Yup - .NET CF is in all Windows Mobile 2003 and later devices. The runtimes
can be installed on previous versions of Pocket PC as well. Version 1 of
..NET CF supports both the Visual Basic and C# languages. Making this jump
would be a wise move because eVB will not be supported on future versions on
Windows Mobile.

--
Robert Levy
Program Manager

rights.

Brett Lempereur" <"bar0nsamed1[no wrote:
> JamesL wrote:
>> Some time ago I wrote a program for the pocketPC in eVB. Very nice
>> program that has sold well for me over time. Of late, however,
>> users are not happy that it is in eVB and requires the eVB runtime. If I
>> was to reproduce the program in a more preferred language
>> today, what language should I use? James L.
>>

> Have a look at the .NET suite and the .NET Compact Framework. Nice
> porting apps between desktop and CF too, and the same apps (generally)
> run on smartphones with minimal tweaking.
>
> As for the actual language to use, take your pick. VB.NET, C#, J#,
> heck, they've even made Python run within .NET.
>
> Afaik the CF runtimes are in newer releases of PPC anyway, but if
> somebody could clarify that?
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 4:23:17 PM

JamesL wrote:

>Some time ago I wrote a program for the pocketPC in eVB. Very nice program
>that has sold well for me over time. Of late, however, users are not happy
>that it is in eVB and requires the eVB runtime. If I was to reproduce the
>program in a more preferred language today, what language should I use?
>
>James L.

Write it in anything but .net. It has a Wile E. Coyote footprint.

--
Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, ยง227, any and
all unsolicited commercial Email sent to this address is subject to a