new Sata drive not detecting in bios..

meta

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Hello,

I just purchased a Maxtor sata 150 drive 120 gig.

My problem is the bios does'nt detect the drive at all, I've tried manually detecting it etc.. it wont show , and I'm not sure if this is normal or not..?

Next , when the pc boots past the post screen I get the option to go in and configure raid device or sata device so I hit CTRL+S , in this little bios type program that loads up on the screen my new hard drive is there , and I have a few options to create or delete raid setups.. Run a low level format etc..

So I run the low level format , it takes like 40 minutes , reboot check bios .. Still not showing up.

I boot up to windows on this 40 gig drive (ATA 133) , I goto asus and get the latest 1009 bios for my Asus a7n deluxe board.. It flashes no problems , reboot - still not showing up in the bios.

I booted up with my 40 gig again , I went back to asus and got some latest silicon sata driver.. It installed a new program in my control panel called : Silicon Image Sata Controllers..

I open this program up and my 120 gig drive is in plain view... it some how detects it , but im my computer its not detected...

Within this sata program it has 2 tabs : Device info which lists a bunch of stuff like model number , serial , firmware revision , etc....

The other tab is Flashh Bios : Chip = unknown , size = unknown , version = unknown , date = unknown.....

Anyone got any ideas??

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
this is insane i have the exact same problem as you same mobo same harddrive(well i got the 200gb version). and wusy it will not detect in windows the silicon image raid chip notices it, i also have the newest bios the old one was the same thing i think i am going to kill myself!!! im tired of 40gbs!!!i found a new driver/bios flash thing for the silicon image but have yet to try it due to a floppy shortage(2). but idoubt that will help it, ive tried all of the maxtor utilitys, like maxblast 4 to setup the harddrive in dos and the utility detects it but when i have it copy all the files from my 40gb harddrive and unplugg the 40 and boot from my 200 its a no go. i guess its just a bios flaw that will never be corrected *cry's* trust me i have tried evverrryythiingg thats why ill soon be upgradeing and if i have the same problem someone is going to dieeeee.

pat

Expert
The BIOS wont detect it, as it is on a third party controller which has its own BIOS. So, make sure that the onboard or integrated SATA or whatever apply is set to enabled first..

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
makes sense, but there are only the raid options in the menu(wich i have looked at) and nothing about enableing it. but ill reboot and see if i have any luck, Thank You.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
ok i checked and it was set to 3F8/IRQ4 (port) i tired all of the ports
and the auto option, its still not detecting it i unplugged my 40GB hdd while i did this. any options you think i should use? they have 2F8/IRQ3, 3E8/IRQ4, 2E8/IRQ3. Pleassse help, Thank You :)

pat

Expert
I don't have the manual, but you should have an option in "integrated devices"(or whatever to enable the controller, or it is a jumper you have to use.

Once enabled, the Sil BIOS screen should show up right after post screen.

On this screen, the drive should be listed, and with proper drivers, XP should see the external controller, and the hdd too

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
ok there was a jumper and it was on the last 1(out of 3) so i set it to 1-2(enable sata) but still nothing, ill keep messing around with it but there are 4 little pins on the back of my sata harddrive(not a molex connector) i already have the sata power plugged in and the sata cord, but there still this small 4 pins . . . . {sata plug} [sata power]. any idea?

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
it is an OEM harddrive, but ive tried all the harddrive settings still nothing tried jumper settings nothing, i think the sata might just be defective. the silicon raid thing comes up but it wont let me go into the utility it used to when i repediatley press it(once never does anything) i get these numbers like 80,06 84,09 random. but im upgradeing soon to a nfroce 3 250 with a 3200+ venice core so i hope to god it works or else i will personally kill maxtor(yes the entire company) because i have wasted and insane amount of time working on this.

pat

Expert
it is an OEM harddrive, but ive tried all the harddrive settings still nothing tried jumper settings nothing, i think the sata might just be defective. the silicon raid thing comes up but it wont let me go into the utility it used to when i repediatley press it(once never does anything) i get these numbers like 80,06 84,09 random. but im upgradeing soon to a nfroce 3 250 with a 3200+ venice core so i hope to god it works or else i will personally kill maxtor(yes the entire company) because i have wasted and insane amount of time working on this.

I don't really like Maxtor too, and it is quite possible that it is defective. I could suggest Samsung HDD. I have one and like it very much. Cool, quiet and fast. I used to like Seagate, but now, may turn into Samsung for a while..

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
that was my original plan because they have like 120GB samsungs for 70 dollers but then they just stopped selling the lower end models, im getting a temporary motherboard though so i can still use my 6800 in my next build, its an ECS hopefully i wont have to kill everyone there also...

pat

Expert
that was my original plan because they have like 120GB samsungs for 70 dollers but then they just stopped selling the lower end models, im getting a temporary motherboard though so i can still use my 6800 in my next build, its an ECS hopefully i wont have to kill everyone there also...

you go 939 or 754? I have the Asrock 939 dual SATA2 with AGP and PCIe slots. You could use your current video card now, and later upgrade to more powerful PCIe one.

This Asrock perform admirably and was easy to setup. Got my 3000+ venice OCed to 2.30GHz. rock stable.

The SATA connectors are natively supported with Windows own drivers (no need for F6 during install). I even run the SATAII connector in IDE mode to get better compatibility offered by Microsoft drivers.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
939 but i didnt want to spend alot of money cause i was going to eventually upgrade to a better motherboard also and i know ecs isnt the best 2.4 ghz venice is what i will keep it at, you should try for 2.4 then itd be at 3800 speeds. even on the stock cooler just remember to lower your hypertransport down to 4 if you only have pc3200 ram and it wont go to 233mhz.

pat

Expert
I could use an modded OCing BIOS and go as high as 9x300 if I wanted too..
But, I rather run it a 2.3 and not crapping the cool n quiet feature. Doesnt like anything higher that around 260.

But anyway, have a look at this board.. it is not that expensive.. maybe around 60-65$ us.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
o yeah i forgot you have a 3000 they have 9 multipliers istead of the 10 on the 3200s. no im sorry man i am not going to trust Uli lol, i am not a fan of their chipsets the nforce have always had very good performance ecspecially in games. i just pray my harddrive works with the new mobo, so i can get my other computer running, my 2.4 duron 9800pro rig is offline due to bad harddrive so i need this one *starts praying*. Please God! and help me sell my parts that are forsale!(amd athlon 3200, asus a7n8x-deluxe) i needed to scrounge up enough money for a new cpu and mobo, but couldnt afford a new gfx card also.

pat

Expert
no im sorry man i am not going to trust Uli lol, i am not a fan of their chipsets the nforce have always had very good performance ecspecially in games.

While I was once fan of nvidia, I found that I rather use the ULI or ATI now, than the nvidia. Why? Passive cooler, no fan!

In my chipset list, the order goes now as follow ATI, ULI, nvidia and VIA being a tied match.

Performance between chipset are not going to change anything in real life uses. I learn that by using so many motherboard brand.. They alway seems to perform on par each other.

SO, you are no fan by experience or because you've heard about them?

truthforwho

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I had the same problem. Finally went into windows admin tools, then disk management feature. Found that windows did not show the drive as being "online". Once activated all was good to go. I transfered all of my game files to the new drive, and the run a hell of alot smoother.
Hope this helps.

Evolving system: A7n8x-e deluxe, xp3000+, 1g pc3200, MSI6600 256mb, x-fi sound, 250gb samsung sata HD, 120gb WD pata HD