Windows 95 USB Drivers

My dinosaur-like compaq pentium has usb ports, but a friend says the system
claims a driver problem. He instructed me to download drivers to install,
but I haven't been able to find them here. If someone knows where they are,
if they are still available, please email me at chandler at the uwm dot edu
address.
Thank you,
More about windows drivers

    Haggis is right, you need the later Windows 95B edition for USB support. What
    device are you trying to connect to the USB port?

    "JC" <JC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My dinosaur-like compaq pentium has usb ports, but a friend says the
    > system
    > claims a driver problem. He instructed me to download drivers to install,
    > but I haven't been able to find them here. If someone knows where they
    > are,
    > if they are still available, please email me at chandler at the uwm dot
    > edu
    > address.
    > Thank you,

    win95 does not support USB ...win95B has some support (check your cd for
    usbsupp.exe)

    most USB devices these days do not come with win95 drivers
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    If Compaq provided the machine with USB ports (that is, you haven't added
    them yourself later) then presumably they had drivers for them when the
    machine was delivered (assuming you are running the original OS). Go to the
    Compaq site and search on your exact machine model number and look for
    downloadable software for the system or for the USB ports.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "JC" <JC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My dinosaur-like compaq pentium has usb ports, but a friend says the
    > system
    > claims a driver problem. He instructed me to download drivers to install,
    > but I haven't been able to find them here. If someone knows where they
    > are,
    > if they are still available, please email me at chandler at the uwm dot
    > edu
    > address.
    > Thank you,
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "JC" <JC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My dinosaur-like compaq pentium has usb ports, but a friend says the
    > system
    > claims a driver problem. He instructed me to download drivers to install,
    > but I haven't been able to find them here. If someone knows where they
    > are,
    > if they are still available, please email me at chandler at the uwm dot
    > edu
    > address.
    > Thank you,

    i would not bother...
    the USB support with win95B/C is not very good.
    unless the mfg of your USB device specifically has support under
    win95...there is little chance
    it will work.
    i'd recommend win98se for good usb support
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Although Windows 95B does support USB, the industry does not recognize it
    and requires you to upgrade to Win 98 or a more recent OS. USB peripherals
    just do not work, regardless of enabling and installing drivers. I wish for
    a utility that deceives those peripherals so they "see" Win 98 instead of
    95.

    <Andreware@J30AD.org> wrote in message news:3462ECD9.5A3D@J30AD.org...
    > =?Utf-8?B?SkM=?= wrote:
    > >
    > > My dinosaur-like compaq pentium has usb ports, but a friend says the
    system
    > > claims a driver problem. He instructed me to download drivers to
    install,
    > > but I haven't been able to find them here. If someone knows where they
    are,
    > > if they are still available, please email me at chandler at the uwm dot
    edu
    > > address.
    > > Thank you,
    > You must be using a Presario 47xx or 82xx computer because my 4712 has
    > USB ports too. I screwed them up badly when I uninstalled the Compaq
    > Phone Center - you need to get a QuickRestore CD for it. Just call
    > Compaq (I guess it's now HP - I never liked that merger) and ask for a
    > QuickRestore CD for the model number on the front of the computer.
    >
    > Compaq rules!
    >
    > Andrew

    ---
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:20:54 -0400, "Juan B. Rivera"

    >Although Windows 95B does support USB, the industry does not recognize it
    >and requires you to upgrade to Win 98 or a more recent OS. USB peripherals
    >just do not work, regardless of enabling and installing drivers. I wish for
    >a utility that deceives those peripherals so they "see" Win 98 instead of 95.

    It won't be as simple as that. USB has had a long and painful
    gestation, a bit like the earliest days of PCI (then again, PCI went
    on to an excellent decade-long career).

    For the first year or few, we called it "Useless Serial Bus", because
    while we insisted on new systems supporting it as a "checkbox item",
    there were few if any USB devices.

    Then came USB scanners, and then printers swung over, and by now it's
    just about everything. It's become the biggest issue compelling
    Win95xx users to move up at least as far as Win98xx.

    OS support for USB started with Win95 SR2.x, but it was buggy and was
    redone in Win98. It still had its rough edges there, and was smoothed
    a bit in Win98SE, which also offered an alternate driver model that
    potentially shared commonality with NT.

    The new driver model was an attempt to get hardware vendors to support
    NT as well as Win9x, but now it's ironically the other way round;
    Win98SE is often catered only for via this model, and where so, the
    bar is raised to Win98SE for entry.

    MS dropped support for Win95 a while ago, and that applies to driver
    developers too - that's why most stuff requires either Win98 or
    Win98SE as the oldest supported versions.

    But if the OS's USB code materially changed between Win95 SR2 and
    Win98, simply spoofing the drivers to think Win95 SR2 is Win98 is
    unlikely to work. More likely you'd have a crash instead of refusal.

    Proverbs Unscrolled #37
    "Build it and they will come and break it"

Drivers USB Windows 95 Windows