Win95...and frozen mouse!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

I believe I screwed something up and now my mouse is frozen *all* the time.

I am running an older 486 computer with Win95. I was trying to make sure I
had the correct mouse driver installed..and I think I accidentally clicked
on the *wrong* driver file to install...ugh. Now my mouse is *always*
frozen.

It is just a plain old round mouse plug...plugged into the standard mouse
jack in the back. It is not on a serial port. So, I imagine I am not
having issues there.

There is no 'power management' utilities running.

I have tried deleting it from 'device manager' hoping it would find it and
then reinstall correctly...no luck!

Compaq ProLinea 4/25dx with 16MB of RAM added.

I know this should be a simply problem...but I can't figure it out for the
life of me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

"R Palino" wrote

> I believe I screwed something up and now my mouse is frozen *all* the time.
>
> I am running an older 486 computer with Win95. I was trying to make sure I
> had the correct mouse driver installed..and I think I accidentally clicked
> on the *wrong* driver file to install...ugh. Now my mouse is *always*
> frozen.

Does the mouse pointer still appear on the screen?
Does clicking any of the mouse buttons affect anything?

> It is just a plain old round mouse plug...plugged into the standard mouse
> jack in the back. It is not on a serial port. So, I imagine I am not
> having issues there.
>
> There is no 'power management' utilities running.
>
> I have tried deleting it from 'device manager' hoping it would find it and
> then reinstall correctly...no luck!

So the system doesn't even think there's a mouse attached?

If Windows does see and try to install the mouse, are there any "details"
about the mouse (exclamation points, question marks, etc.) beside the
Device Manager's mouse listing?

Did you change anything in the BIOS, regarding PS2 ports?

"MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.Home@My.Place> wrote in message

> > I believe I screwed something up and now my mouse is frozen *all* the
time.

> > I am running an older 486 computer with Win95. I was trying to make
sure I
> > had the correct mouse driver installed..and I think I accidentally
clicked
> > on the *wrong* driver file to install...ugh. Now my mouse is *always*
> > frozen.
>
> Does the mouse pointer still appear on the screen?

Yes, in the center

> Does clicking any of the mouse buttons affect anything?

No, nothing at all.

> So the system doesn't even think there's a mouse attached?

Apparently not.

> If Windows does see and try to install the mouse, are there any "details"
> about the mouse (exclamation points, question marks, etc.) beside the
> Device Manager's mouse listing?

It had an exclamation point next to the mouse entry that said "Logitech
mouse installed on p/s2 port" (Or at least that how I remember it.)

After deleting this...and rebooting....the computer did NOT try to install
anything during the reboot.

And the mouse is still frozen in the center of my screen.

(BTW, I never had a 'Logitech' mouse. I believe that may be the driver that
was accidentally attempted to install. I just use a plane old HP 2 button
mouse with a scroll wheel...the cheap ones that come with the computer.)

> Did you change anything in the BIOS, regarding PS2 ports?

No, I didn't..

In the Bios, under "Serial Interface 1" it says 'Disabled COM1, IRQ4'

...under "Serial Interface 2" it says 'Disabled COM4, IRQ 3'

But like I said, I am using the p/s 2 port (small round one in the back) for
the mouse...and the serial ports shouldn't matter, right?

Thanks for any assistance, I appreciate it.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

Turn off the computer. Unplug the PS/2 mouse and then plug it back in.....make sure
you have it in the correct port, as the keyboard port looks identical.

Start in Safe Mode, open Device Manager there, remove ALL entries under the Mouse
category and all entries under the Other category (if it exists). Click OK, then
restart in normal mode.

When Windows restarts, if it does not detect the mouse, click Control Panel> Add New
Hardware, have Windows check for hardware. If it does not find any, you may have a
problem, but try this:
using Add Hardware, say No to searching for hardware, and choose from a list.
Select mouse, then choose Standard mouse types, and add Standard PS/2 Port Mouse.
Follow the prompts to complete the installation.

If it does not work when installed, you may have a mouse or mouse port problem.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"R Palino" <r palino@*NO SPAM*mailandnews.com> wrote in message

> "MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.Home@My.Place> wrote in message
> >
> > > I believe I screwed something up and now my mouse is frozen *all* the
> time.
> > >
> > > I am running an older 486 computer with Win95. I was trying to make
> sure I
> > > had the correct mouse driver installed..and I think I accidentally
> clicked
> > > on the *wrong* driver file to install...ugh. Now my mouse is *always*
> > > frozen.
> >
> > Does the mouse pointer still appear on the screen?
>
> Yes, in the center
>
> > Does clicking any of the mouse buttons affect anything?
>
> No, nothing at all.
>
> > So the system doesn't even think there's a mouse attached?
>
> Apparently not.
>
> > If Windows does see and try to install the mouse, are there any "details"
> > about the mouse (exclamation points, question marks, etc.) beside the
> > Device Manager's mouse listing?
>
> It had an exclamation point next to the mouse entry that said "Logitech
> mouse installed on p/s2 port" (Or at least that how I remember it.)
>
> After deleting this...and rebooting....the computer did NOT try to install
> anything during the reboot.
>
> And the mouse is still frozen in the center of my screen.
>
> (BTW, I never had a 'Logitech' mouse. I believe that may be the driver that
> was accidentally attempted to install. I just use a plane old HP 2 button
> mouse with a scroll wheel...the cheap ones that come with the computer.)
>
> > Did you change anything in the BIOS, regarding PS2 ports?
>
> No, I didn't..
>
> In the Bios, under "Serial Interface 1" it says 'Disabled COM1, IRQ4'
>
> ...under "Serial Interface 2" it says 'Disabled COM4, IRQ 3'
>
> But like I said, I am using the p/s 2 port (small round one in the back) for
> the mouse...and the serial ports shouldn't matter, right?
>
> Thanks for any assistance, I appreciate it.

ME

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

> If it does not work when installed, you may have a mouse or mouse port
problem.
> --

Hi Glenn!

Thanks for the great suggestions! Tried them all to no avail.

I have tried other mice...so it might be a port problem.

What do you think about trying a seriel port mouse?

This would/could bypass that problem...and might be a work-around, no?

Thanks!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

Well, sure, if you have a serial port you can install a serial mouse. But I don't
understand how simply changing the driver caused you all these problems.....you
should have been able to simply change the driver back to what you had before.
Exactly what procedure did you follow to change the driver in the first place? What
mouse was originally listed in Device Manager, when it was working? Why did you
change it in the first place.....were you having problems with the mouse?

Did you change any settings in the BIOS setup when you were doing all this?
--

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote:

> Well, sure, if you have a serial port you can install a serial mouse. But
I don't
> understand how simply changing the driver caused you all these
problems.....you
> should have been able to simply change the driver back to what you had
before.

Yeah, neither do I understand...that's why I'm here seeking help. ;-)

I think there are certain mice that have driver install/setup programs that
do more than just install the driver.

I believe you mentioned it might simply be a mouse port problem.

That's why I figured I would try the seriel port and see if that's a good
work around. This might tell me

> Exactly what procedure did you follow to change the driver in the first
place?

I think it was an "intellimouse" type thing...and it was a
self-installing/extracting .exe file.

> What
> mouse was originally listed in Device Manager, when it was working?

Probably just a standard ps2 mouse...whatever WIndows 95 sets itself up
with.

> Why did you
> change it in the first place.....were you having problems with the mouse?

I thought I was 'updating' the driver with the latest version.

> Did you change any settings in the BIOS setup when you were doing all
this?

No.

Thanks again for your help!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

BTW...I have a "Microsoft Home Mouse-Serial" given to me by a co-worker.

Just to be safe I'm asking...what would be the proper driver or install file
for this to work?

Thanks!

> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, sure, if you have a serial port you can install a serial mouse.
But
> I don't
> > understand how simply changing the driver caused you all these
> problems.....you
> > should have been able to simply change the driver back to what you had
> before.
>
> Yeah, neither do I understand...that's why I'm here seeking help. ;-)
>
> I think there are certain mice that have driver install/setup programs
that
> do more than just install the driver.
>
> I believe you mentioned it might simply be a mouse port problem.
>
> That's why I figured I would try the seriel port and see if that's a good
> work around. This might tell me
>
> > Exactly what procedure did you follow to change the driver in the first
> place?
>
> I think it was an "intellimouse" type thing...and it was a
> self-installing/extracting .exe file.
>
> > What
> > mouse was originally listed in Device Manager, when it was working?
>
> Probably just a standard ps2 mouse...whatever WIndows 95 sets itself up
> with.
>
> > Why did you
> > change it in the first place.....were you having problems with the
mouse?

> I thought I was 'updating' the driver with the latest version.
>
> > Did you change any settings in the BIOS setup when you were doing all
> this?
>
> No.
>
> Thanks again for your help!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95,microsoft.public.win95.general,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

If it does not have a CD to install its own specific driver, then it should work
with the Standard Serial Mouse driver, or with a Microsoft Serial Mouse driver, both
of which should be in the Windows 95 database of drivers.

If you had an IntelliMouse, they use their own drivers from a CD, particularly for
the wheelmouse function in Windows 95, but it still should have worked without
wheelmouse function, using a standard PS/2 mouse driver, I would think.

If the mouse was working fine before you changed the driver, and all you did was
change the driver, I don't know how the port could have suddenly gone bad.....unless
you unplugged and plugged in the mouse while the computer was still on.