Best S939 motherboard for under $130

MTLink

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Hey guys. I'm building a new rig and I need to pick out a motherboard. I was going to go with an Asus, because I know that they're a good brand, but I thought that I should give other companies a chance, too. Can someone tell me what's a good NON-SLi mobo for $110 or less, or an SLi-mobo for $130 or less? Has to be A64 Socket 939. Thanks guys.

Ruby

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Being as how I have this mobo on my current gaming machine, I would suggest the ASUS A8N-SLI. I realize some people on these forums say that motherboard is bad, I have to strongly disagree, as mine is very stable, overclocks very well, and has enough features to satisfy me. One Brand I will strongly not recommend, is Foxconn motherboards, from Reviews to my friend purchasing a Foxconn motherboard, they seem to have quite a few problems, mainly network. I would also recommend the DFI LanParty UT nF4-D, A friend of mine has this motherboard, it is quite stable with an Athlon 64 4000+ and an x800GTO2.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
ASRock motherboards are nice. They are the budget arm of Asus but without the pretty colors and high prices. You can get some nice mobo's under $100

Hide

MTLink

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
There's three different ASUS A8N-SLI. Two of them are bad, A8N-SLI vanilla and A8N-SLI Deluxe. Both are based on the same design and have the same faults/failures. A8N-SLI Premium was the one that fixed all that crap plus some added features.
What are some of the faults? Major stuff or just for the hardcore?

And how about the A8N-E? Does that have faults, too?

I'm not a motherboard guy and I don't need things like super OC ability and double RAID or whatever it's called and stuff. I just need something that's stable and won't die out on me quickly.

sik1977

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
If you are looking for something which is very stable, excellent features, and non-SLI then I can recommend the Board i have i.e., MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum. I wont recommend it for OC enthusiasts as I am non super OCer myself. I have two systems with this Board and one is running stable on stock (in my sig) the other with a A64 3000+ is slightly overclocked to 215FSB i.e., 1983MHz from 1800Mhz. Runs stable, and great features. It should fit in your price budget.

It was highly recommended by THG review of non-SLI S939 Boards last year and performed very well in the benchmarks. But I havent had it long enough to certify that it'll last you number of years or anything. The Board has had good BIOS Support though.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I guess that if you are looking at the price of mobos as an issue that you're unlikely to shell out an extra $300++ for a second videocard.
That said, the value choices for 939 procs use:
1) nVidia nForce4 ultra chips
2) ATI Radeon XPress chips
3) nVidia 6150 chips

#1 has LOTs of good choices. My preferences include:
EpoX EP-9NPA3Ultra $85.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123258
The Plus version adds 1394 support for $20
Asus A8N-E nF4 Ultra $105.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530

#2 has to-date one good full ATX choice also mentioned above.
Asus A8R-MVP ATI motherboard. Overclocks well. Article:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2617
Other ATI boards are mATX with integrated graphics. LAN BOX?

#3 is same mATX issue also with integrated graphics.
I currently run an Asus A8N-VM CSM. Its a fine board.

For $85, the EpoX is a winner despite its rather odd power connector hookup placements. Its very stable.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
There's three different ASUS A8N-SLI. Two of them are bad, A8N-SLI vanilla and A8N-SLI Deluxe. Both are based on the same design and have the same faults/failures. A8N-SLI Premium was the one that fixed all that crap plus some added features.
What are some of the faults? Major stuff or just for the hardcore?

And how about the A8N-E? Does that have faults, too?

I'm not a motherboard guy and I don't need things like super OC ability and double RAID or whatever it's called and stuff. I just need something that's stable and won't die out on me quickly.

it was things like lots of incompatibilities with RAM, and the fan on the northbridge/shouthbrigde?(im drunk btw) kept dying, and the BIOS had lots of small problems...

dont know bout the A8N-E...

the Premium is a very stable very good board(its what i have =) )