week 5 problem

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

trying to get help for this frustrating situation. lord if you just help
me out of this one i will never be bad again and try doing stuff i know
little or nothing about. i promise lord please please...
my system was running just fine but was really slow and would
occasionally hang unexpectedly. it is a pentium 133, w95b. it easily
formatted before with the self starting oem w95 cd. but this time i have
partitioned the drive and set one drive active as per the prompts. the c
drive i formatted from the bios first, kind of by accident using the low
level perforate function. when i clicked on that a warning prompt said
'all info on this drive will be lost'. at this point i thought here is
how the pros must format hard drives quickly and easily, so i pressed
on. it only took a few seconds i think. now when i put the w95 cd in and
restart the system the setup feature is not auto-run and i receive the
prompt 'invalid system disk'. i now put in the system floppy start up
disk. i now receive prompt 'remove all disks and press any key to
continue'.when i press any key i just get the a:prompt.i was told to
partition and format the hard drive so i did that. i was told to add a
line to config and autoexec files either on hard drive or the system
start up disk regarding the cdrom drivers. i did that but still no luck.
now i get the prompt that my config file are corrupt in the first
line. i was thinking, (i could be dangerous ha ha), that i have the
setup w95 cd that i know works fine and i have the key for that as well,
all legitimate. i have had this system for about 6 years now since brand
new. i thought i could put the w95 cd on floppies but over fifty would
be needed to do this. one of the other prompts i get when at the
a:prompt and i try to boot the setup from cdrom, is 'cd01 not done
reading yet'or something like that. so the real problem is the preformat
cleared everything from drive c i know that now. so how do i get the
proper config and autoexec files onto drive c so it can read cdrom and
begin setup of w95? sure i am no expert nor do i claim to be one but
someone must know if it is futile to continue this in this loop or is
that i am simply missing an entry or some simply tweak too get w95
loaded and started on this system. sorry for the long explanation, but
if anyone can help me it is best to all the info possible available so i
hope someone can cut through all this and kindly guide me in the right
direction even if that means to scrap the system. if no one here can
help me i would much appreciate that truth rather than trying another
idea shot in the dark so to speak that further aggravates the situation
as changing the config line has done. the reason i believe for this help
board and others is to help people who don't know anything to get the
help they need. as opposed to being led down the proverbial garden path.
here a tip but if you don't know what your doing well if you mess up you
only have your self to blame. so many folks the world over may be taking
advice here rather naively and messing up their system totally, then
scraping them only to purchase new systems with microsoft software on
it. more money for microsoft and the computer industry. it this a
microsoft board and is the advice free? well folks you get what you pay
for. maybe i am wrong but many folks including myself want to believe
the help here is genuine through and through but i feel i wasn't help
resolve my problem at all only that i am more confused now than when i
first posted for help. it sound like i have an ax to grind and maybe
that is true. but i feel folks have more important things to do than get
the run around online when sincerely needing help. at least i am for
one. i must confess it hasn't been a total waste of my time though. on
the bright side i read oodles of info on bootdisk.com and here. so maybe
if i decide somewhere along the line to get into computers and become a
pc tech this experience will have been helpful. in the meantime though i
am just hanging as to what to do next here. sorry lord i got diarrhea of
the keyboard. i hope someone here is not afraid to take the time and
help me resolve this problem in a positive and timely fashion....thank
you lord.....bryan

With an almost complete lack of punctuation and capitalization, your
description is too difficult to read in full, but I think your problem will
be solved if you get a utility to create yourself a new boot disk for W95
from www.bootdisk.com and then go to
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w95_restore.html
for full installation instructions. Note that your procedure will differ at
the point where you actually access the CD to start the install, but up to
then it's the same.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

"Jeff Richards" wrote:

> With an almost complete lack of punctuation and capitalization, your
> description is too difficult to read in full, but I think your problem will
> be solved if you get a utility to create yourself a new boot disk for W95
> from www.bootdisk.com and then go to
> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w95_restore.html
> for full installation instructions. Note that your procedure will differ at
> the point where you actually access the CD to start the install, but up to
> then it's the same.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > trying to get help for this frustrating situation. lord if you just help
> > me out of this one i will never be bad again and try doing stuff i know
> > little or nothing about. i promise lord please please...
> > my system was running just fine but was really slow and would occasionally
> > hang unexpectedly. it is a pentium 133, w95b. it easily formatted before
> > with the self starting oem w95 cd. but this time i have partitioned the
> > drive and set one drive active as per the prompts. the c drive i formatted
> > from the bios first, kind of by accident using the low level perforate
> > function. when i clicked on that a warning prompt said 'all info on this
> > drive will be lost'. at this point i thought here is

Sorry about the punctuation but I am poor at typing so I just let out while
it was flowing smoothely.
I did the updated punctuation for you so hope you will look at the complete
post.
I think i tried this boot disk but I did not go to the site you posted. But
I will try again.
What do mean by utility? Is that some software to create the boot disk or to
install the software or both or neither?
Thank you for your input.
It may help me more readily if you will walk me through this, will you?

At www.bootdisk.com you can download a utility that enables you to create a
W95 boot disk. You can do this using any computer. The site has full
instructions on the procedure. The advantage of this boot disk is that it
includes CD-ROM support that should work for the great majority of PCs.

The standard W95 startup disk does not have CD-ROM support until you add it
for yourself, which can be difficult, as you have experienced.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)