Week 5 Stumped

Partitioned and pre-formated hard drive from Bios and formated from
A:prompt as well.

OK. I am at bootdisk.com.
Trying to now create a bootdisk for Win95 Pentium 133.
Done that.
Created a boot disk for Win95A.
That didn't work.
Created a boot disk for Win95B.
That did not work.
Created a boot disk for the cdrom drivers.
That did not work.
Created the Ulimate Boot Disk.
That does absolutely zilch.
So what is left to do to get this system to setup Win95 from the Win95 cd?
After formatting the hard drive I understand that this wipes the disk
totally clean, right?
So how does one instruct the created boot floppy to place the files on
drive C?
I managed to have some sys files transferred to C.
Yet this did not succeed in having the cdrom begin the Win95 setup.
What step or info are we missing?
Thank you....Bryan
22 answers Last reply
More about week stumped

    "bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Partitioned and pre-formated hard drive from Bios and formated from
    > A:prompt as well.
    >
    > OK. I am at bootdisk.com.
    > Trying to now create a bootdisk for Win95 Pentium 133.
    > Done that.
    > Created a boot disk for Win95A.
    > That didn't work.
    > Created a boot disk for Win95B.
    > That did not work.
    > Created a boot disk for the cdrom drivers.
    > That did not work.
    > Created the Ulimate Boot Disk.
    > That does absolutely zilch.
    > So what is left to do to get this system to setup Win95 from the Win95 cd?
    > After formatting the hard drive I understand that this wipes the disk
    > totally clean, right?
    > So how does one instruct the created boot floppy to place the files on
    > drive C?
    > I managed to have some sys files transferred to C.
    > Yet this did not succeed in having the cdrom begin the Win95 setup.
    > What step or info are we missing?
    > Thank you....Bryan

    you say making the bootdisks failed? what you download is an ##.exe file
    ....when double clicked ..it prompts you for a blank disk

    did that happen ?

    if you can boot to a floppy (with Cdrom support ) then all is needed is to
    change to your cd drive (type d: <enter> or E: <enter>)

    then type setup and the install should start .....work on that boot disk :>

    BTW. this is not a microsoft site , we are 'normal' <g> people volunteering
    info.

    Haggis wrote:

    > "bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Partitioned and pre-formated hard drive from Bios and formated from
    >>A:prompt as well.
    >>
    >>OK. I am at bootdisk.com.
    >>Trying to now create a bootdisk for Win95 Pentium 133.
    >>Done that.
    >>Created a boot disk for Win95A.
    >>That didn't work.
    >>Created a boot disk for Win95B.
    >>That did not work.
    >>Created a boot disk for the cdrom drivers.
    >>That did not work.
    >>Created the Ulimate Boot Disk.
    >>That does absolutely zilch.
    >>So what is left to do to get this system to setup Win95 from the Win95 cd?
    >>After formatting the hard drive I understand that this wipes the disk
    >>totally clean, right?
    >>So how does one instruct the created boot floppy to place the files on
    >>drive C?
    >>I managed to have some sys files transferred to C.
    >>Yet this did not succeed in having the cdrom begin the Win95 setup.
    >>What step or info are we missing?
    >>Thank you....Bryan
    >>

    > you say making the bootdisks failed? what you download is an ##.exe file
    > ...when double clicked ..it prompts you for a blank disk

    > did that happen ?

    Yes. This did happen.

    > if you can boot to a floppy (with Cdrom support ) then all is needed is to
    > change to your cd drive (type d: <enter> or E: <enter>)

    So now I place the boot floppy in the floppy drive. What then?
    I only have a dos screen so it is impossible for me to access
    start-menu-controlpanel-and change or add drive letters. None of the
    boot disks will boot to windows or allow me to access the cdrom win95
    setup cd. I have attempted this over 25 times to make sure I am doing
    everything right. What could I be doing wrong or not doing?
    Thank you again...

    > then type setup and the install should start .....work on that boot disk :>
    >
    > BTW. this is not a microsoft site , we are 'normal' <g> people volunteering
    > info.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download a Windows
    95 boot disk file to the desktop of the computer you are using now. Double-
    click the file, insert a floppy when prompted and create a boot floppy. Use
    it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 95 CD, then type
    "R:\Win95\setup" and press "Enter".

    Ben

    "bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:417EE7C9.1060402@hotmail.com...

    > Haggis wrote:
    >
    > > "bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Partitioned and pre-formated hard drive from Bios and formated from
    > >>A:prompt as well.
    > >>
    > >>OK. I am at bootdisk.com.
    > >>Trying to now create a bootdisk for Win95 Pentium 133.
    > >>Done that.
    > >>Created a boot disk for Win95A.
    > >>That didn't work.
    > >>Created a boot disk for Win95B.
    > >>That did not work.
    > >>Created a boot disk for the cdrom drivers.
    > >>That did not work.
    > >>Created the Ulimate Boot Disk.
    > >>That does absolutely zilch.
    > >>So what is left to do to get this system to setup Win95 from the Win95 cd?
    > >>After formatting the hard drive I understand that this wipes the disk
    > >>totally clean, right?
    > >>So how does one instruct the created boot floppy to place the files on
    > >>drive C?
    > >>I managed to have some sys files transferred to C.
    > >>Yet this did not succeed in having the cdrom begin the Win95 setup.
    > >>What step or info are we missing?
    > >>Thank you....Bryan
    > >>

    > > you say making the bootdisks failed? what you download is an ##.exe file
    > > ...when double clicked ..it prompts you for a blank disk
    >

    > > did that happen ?
    > >

    > Yes. This did happen.
    >

    > > if you can boot to a floppy (with Cdrom support ) then all is needed is to
    > > change to your cd drive (type d: <enter> or E: <enter>)
    > >

    > So now I place the boot floppy in the floppy drive. What then?
    > I only have a dos screen so it is impossible for me to access
    > start-menu-controlpanel-and change or add drive letters. None of the
    > boot disks will boot to windows or allow me to access the cdrom win95
    > setup cd. I have attempted this over 25 times to make sure I am doing
    > everything right. What could I be doing wrong or not doing?
    > Thank you again...
    >

    > > then type setup and the install should start .....work on that boot disk :>
    > >
    > > BTW. this is not a microsoft site , we are 'normal' <g> people volunteering
    > > info.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Thanks Ben. I did all this and yet I am unable to access the cdrom setup
    win95 cd. Why is this? Thank you....

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download a Windows
    > 95 boot disk file to the desktop of the computer you are using now. Double-
    > click the file, insert a floppy when prompted and create a boot floppy. Use
    > it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 95 CD, then type
    > "R:\Win95\setup" and press "Enter".
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > "bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:417EE7C9.1060402@hotmail.com...
    >

    >>Haggis wrote:
    >>

    >>>"bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>you say making the bootdisks failed? what you download is an ##.exe file
    >>>...when double clicked ..it prompts you for a blank disk
    >>>
    >>>did that happen ?
    >>>

    >>Yes. This did happen.
    >>

    >>>if you can boot to a floppy (with Cdrom support ) then all is needed is to
    >>>change to your cd drive (type d: <enter> or E: <enter>)
    >>>

    >>So now I place the boot floppy in the floppy drive. What then?
    >>I only have a dos screen so it is impossible for me to access
    >>start-menu-controlpanel-and change or add drive letters. None of the
    >>boot disks will boot to windows or allow me to access the cdrom win95
    >>setup cd. I have attempted this over 25 times to make sure I am doing
    >>everything right. What could I be doing wrong or not doing?
    >>Thank you again...
    >>

    >>>then type setup and the install should start .....work on that boot disk :>
    >>>
    >>>BTW. this is not a microsoft site , we are 'normal' <g> people volunteering
    >>>info.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Please don't start a new thread with each post. Reply in the original
    thread, so everyone knows what has happened already.

    'Did not work' is not sufficient description.

    What exactly did you do? What did you expect to happen, and what actually
    happened (exactly)?

    You can't partition from BIOS. What you may have done is a low level (BIOS)
    format(which is not required), a partitioning using FDISK (which is probably
    not necessary, but can't harm), and a format. There is no need to repeat
    these steps with the new boot disk.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Partitioned and pre-formated hard drive from Bios and formated from
    > A:prompt as well.
    >
    > OK. I am at bootdisk.com.
    > Trying to now create a bootdisk for Win95 Pentium 133.
    > Done that.
    > Created a boot disk for Win95A.
    > That didn't work.
    > Created a boot disk for Win95B.
    > That did not work.
    > Created a boot disk for the cdrom drivers.
    > That did not work.
    > Created the Ulimate Boot Disk.
    > That does absolutely zilch.
    > So what is left to do to get this system to setup Win95 from the Win95 cd?
    > After formatting the hard drive I understand that this wipes the disk
    > totally clean, right?
    > So how does one instruct the created boot floppy to place the files on
    > drive C?
    > I managed to have some sys files transferred to C.
    > Yet this did not succeed in having the cdrom begin the Win95 setup.
    > What step or info are we missing?
    > Thank you....Bryan

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Whenever I install 95 i use the WinME boot disk of off bootdisk.com. It has
    CD-Rom support already added and when it's time to put in your drive letter
    /setup it tells you what drive letter your CD-Rom is.

    "Jeff Richards" wrote:

    > Please don't start a new thread with each post. Reply in the original
    > thread, so everyone knows what has happened already.
    >
    > 'Did not work' is not sufficient description.
    >
    > What exactly did you do? What did you expect to happen, and what actually
    > happened (exactly)?
    >
    > You can't partition from BIOS. What you may have done is a low level (BIOS)
    > format(which is not required), a partitioning using FDISK (which is probably
    > not necessary, but can't harm), and a format. There is no need to repeat
    > these steps with the new boot disk.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Partitioned and pre-formated hard drive from Bios and formated from
    > > A:prompt as well.
    > >
    > > OK. I am at bootdisk.com.
    > > Trying to now create a bootdisk for Win95 Pentium 133.
    > > Done that.
    > > Created a boot disk for Win95A.
    > > That didn't work.
    > > Created a boot disk for Win95B.
    > > That did not work.
    > > Created a boot disk for the cdrom drivers.
    > > That did not work.
    > > Created the Ulimate Boot Disk.
    > > That does absolutely zilch.
    > > So what is left to do to get this system to setup Win95 from the Win95 cd?
    > > After formatting the hard drive I understand that this wipes the disk
    > > totally clean, right?
    > > So how does one instruct the created boot floppy to place the files on
    > > drive C?
    > > I managed to have some sys files transferred to C.
    > > Yet this did not succeed in having the cdrom begin the Win95 setup.
    > > What step or info are we missing?
    > > Thank you....Bryan

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    This is risky, because you can end up with components from different versions
    of DOS. It's also unnecessary, because all the W95 boot disks from
    www.bootdisk.com include the universal CD-ROM device support, and the
    installaton of MSCDEX reports the drive letter assigned to the CD.

    "Patrick" wrote:

    > Whenever I install 95 i use the WinME boot disk of off bootdisk.com. It has
    > CD-Rom support already added and when it's time to put in your drive letter
    > /setup it tells you what drive letter your CD-Rom is.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Thanks Patrick . I will try that. I used the w95a and w95b bootdisks
    with no luck. I also used the Ultimate Boot Disk and again no go.

    Patrick wrote:

    > Whenever I install 95 i use the WinME boot disk of off bootdisk.com. It has
    > CD-Rom support already added and when it's time to put in your drive letter
    > /setup it tells you what drive letter your CD-Rom is.
    >
    > "Jeff Richards" wrote:
    >

    >>Please don't start a new thread with each post. Reply in the original
    >>thread, so everyone knows what has happened already.
    >>
    >>'Did not work' is not sufficient description.
    >>
    >>What exactly did you do? What did you expect to happen, and what actually
    >>happened (exactly)?
    >>
    >>You can't partition from BIOS. What you may have done is a low level (BIOS)
    >>format(which is not required), a partitioning using FDISK (which is probably
    >>not necessary, but can't harm), and a format. There is no need to repeat
    >>these steps with the new boot disk.
    >>--
    >>Jeff Richards
    >>MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >>"bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Partitioned and pre-formated hard drive from Bios and formated from
    >>>A:prompt as well.
    >>>
    >>>OK. I am at bootdisk.com.
    >>>Trying to now create a bootdisk for Win95 Pentium 133.
    >>>Done that.
    >>>Created a boot disk for Win95A.
    >>>That didn't work.
    >>>Created a boot disk for Win95B.
    >>>That did not work.
    >>>Created a boot disk for the cdrom drivers.
    >>>That did not work.
    >>>Created the Ulimate Boot Disk.
    >>>That does absolutely zilch.
    >>>So what is left to do to get this system to setup Win95 from the Win95 cd?
    >>>After formatting the hard drive I understand that this wipes the disk
    >>>totally clean, right?
    >>>So how does one instruct the created boot floppy to place the files on
    >>>drive C?
    >>>I managed to have some sys files transferred to C.
    >>>Yet this did not succeed in having the cdrom begin the Win95 setup.
    >>>What step or info are we missing?
    >>>Thank you....Bryan

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Patrick wrote:

    > Whenever I install 95 i use the WinME boot disk of off bootdisk.com. It has
    > CD-Rom support already added and when it's time to put in your drive letter
    > /setup it tells you what drive letter your CD-Rom is.

    T just tried this with ME & MEC bootdisks. No luck accessing win95 on
    the cdrom again. I got as far as the R:drive. I type in win95 and
    receive "cdr101:not ready reading drive R Abort,Retry,Fail?
    Any key touched at this point renders this same response except the
    A;key. It will bring me back to R: Does anyone know why this
    "cdr101..."data is forthcoming? Also I have gotten this far with other
    bootdisks. As for using the win95me, I only have the oem win95b setup
    CD. Are these compatible or will I have to buy the win95me version? Does
    anyone know if this bootup of win95 is resolveable or are we just going
    around in circles on a wild goose chase. I am almost toast with this
    issue and the disposal bin may be next real quick although I feel we are
    so close to overcoming this challenge.
    Thank you....Bryan

    > "Jeff Richards" wrote:
    >

    >>Please don't start a new thread with each post. Reply in the original
    >>thread, so everyone knows what has happened already.
    >>
    >>'Did not work' is not sufficient description.
    >>
    >>What exactly did you do? What did you expect to happen, and what actually
    >>happened (exactly)?
    >>
    >>You can't partition from BIOS. What you may have done is a low level (BIOS)
    >>format(which is not required), a partitioning using FDISK (which is probably
    >>not necessary, but can't harm), and a format. There is no need to repeat
    >>these steps with the new boot disk.
    >>--
    >>Jeff Richards
    >>MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >>"bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Partitioned and pre-formated hard drive from Bios and formated from
    >>>A:prompt as well.
    >>>
    >>>OK. I am at bootdisk.com.
    >>>Trying to now create a bootdisk for Win95 Pentium 133.
    >>>Done that.
    >>>Created a boot disk for Win95A.
    >>>That didn't work.
    >>>Created a boot disk for Win95B.
    >>>That did not work.
    >>>Created a boot disk for the cdrom drivers.
    >>>That did not work.
    >>>Created the Ulimate Boot Disk.
    >>>That does absolutely zilch.
    >>>So what is left to do to get this system to setup Win95 from the Win95 cd?
    >>>After formatting the hard drive I understand that this wipes the disk
    >>>totally clean, right?
    >>>So how does one instruct the created boot floppy to place the files on
    >>>drive C?
    >>>I managed to have some sys files transferred to C.
    >>>Yet this did not succeed in having the cdrom begin the Win95 setup.
    >>>What step or info are we missing?
    >>>Thank you....Bryan

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Make sure the CD drive is not defective and is properly connected. If it is
    connected through a sound card, you may have to load drivers for that as
    well. If this doesn't help, please repost with more information, including
    manufacturer and model of the CD drive.

    Ben

    "bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:417EFF8A.6060606@hotmail.com...
    > Thanks Ben. I did all this and yet I am unable to access the cdrom setup
    > win95 cd. Why is this? Thank you....
    >
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >
    > > Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download a Windows
    > > 95 boot disk file to the desktop of the computer you are using now. Double-
    > > click the file, insert a floppy when prompted and create a boot floppy. Use
    > > it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 95 CD, then type
    > > "R:\Win95\setup" and press "Enter".
    > >
    > > Ben

    > >>Yes. This did happen.

    > >>So now I place the boot floppy in the floppy drive. What then?
    > >>I only have a dos screen so it is impossible for me to access
    > >>start-menu-controlpanel-and change or add drive letters. None of the
    > >>boot disks will boot to windows or allow me to access the cdrom win95
    > >>setup cd. I have attempted this over 25 times to make sure I am doing
    > >>everything right. What could I be doing wrong or not doing?
    > >>Thank you again...

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    You have described only part of your process, but I think you are not
    following a correct set of instructions.

    Did you use the utility you downloaded to create a new boot floppy? Did you
    then test this new boot floppy by booting the machine that you used to
    download the utility and create the floppy? If so, then you know that the
    boot floppy is working OK.

    Now you need to use it to boot the problem machine. First, access BIOS setup
    and make sure that the floppy disk drive is listed first in the boot
    sequence. Now insert the floppy and re-start the machine. The system will
    boot from the floppy and the A:\> prompt will appear. I think you have got
    this far. Above this prompt will be a message indicating the drive letter
    (eg, D) assigned to the CD drive. If this message isn't there, the
    installation of the drivers for the CD has failed, and you will need to
    investigate why.

    When you know that the CD drivers are installed and you have identified the
    drive letter for the CD drive, insert the CD and type x:\Setup where x is
    the drive letter for the CD drive. This will get setup running and Windows
    will install. If you have a special installation CD supplied by your system
    manufacturer the setup command might be different - the installation
    procedure they have provided for you will describe the different command to
    be used.

    If this process doesn't work, do
    DIR x:
    where x is the disk drive letter assigned to the CD. This will tell you
    that the CD is recognised properly and working OK, so you only need to find
    out the command required to start installation.

    Do NOT use a startup floppy for any system other than the one you are
    installing, as it will create problems later on.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    > Jeff Richards wrote:
    >
    >> Please don't start a new thread with each post. Reply in the original
    >> thread, so everyone knows what has happened already.
    >>

    > OK Sorry. I am new here and don't know the ins and out yet.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Thanks Ben. Is there a simple way to check if the cdrom is faulty? I did
    read somewhere a few weeks ago that the master should be connected to
    the end of the ribbon cable. So I checked the physical connection and
    the gard drive and cdrom are on the same ribbon connector to the
    motherboard, with the cdrom-slave first in line, than the hard
    drive-master lastly. I hope this is correct. The cdrom is an acer model
    no:CD-912E/ATK. When booting up using the various bootdisk.com disks and
    I arrive at the R:dirve, when I type in Win95 or touch any key, I
    receive the message"CDR101: not ready reading drive R Abort,Retry,Fail"
    What does this message mean? Thanks..Bryan

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Make sure the CD drive is not defective and is properly connected. If it is
    > connected through a sound card, you may have to load drivers for that as
    > well. If this doesn't help, please repost with more information, including
    > manufacturer and model of the CD drive.
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > "bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:417EFF8A.6060606@hotmail.com...
    >
    >>Thanks Ben. I did all this and yet I am unable to access the cdrom setup
    >>win95 cd. Why is this? Thank you....
    >>
    >>Ben Myers wrote:
    >>

    >>>Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download a Windows
    >>>95 boot disk file to the desktop of the computer you are using now. Double-
    >>>click the file, insert a floppy when prompted and create a boot floppy. Use
    >>>it to start the problem computer, insert your Windows 95 CD, then type
    >>>"R:\Win95\setup" and press "Enter".
    >>>
    >>>Ben

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Jeff Richards wrote:

    > You have described only part of your process, but I think you are not
    > following a correct set of instructions.

    That very possible. I created the bootdisk. Simply downloaded the w95
    file fromm bootdisk.com. I unzipped that file to my floppy drive to a
    full formatted new floppy disk. Then I put the floppy(starup disk) I
    just created into the floppy drive on the pc with the
    formatted/partitioned hard drive. Then I rebooted the unit and windows
    does not start.

    > Did you use the utility you downloaded to create a new boot floppy? Did you
    > then test this new boot floppy by booting the machine that you used to
    > download the utility and create the floppy? If so, then you know that the
    > boot floppy is working OK.

    I did not test the boot disk on my good unit. You say further down "Do
    NOT use a startup floppy for any system other than the one you are
    > installing, as it will create problems later on." I do not want this
    to happen to our main unit or did I misunderstand your comment? Has this
    been your personal experience why you state this caution?

    > Now you need to use it to boot the problem machine. First, access BIOS setup
    > and make sure that the floppy disk drive is listed first in the boot
    > sequence. Now insert the floppy and re-start the machine. The system will
    > boot from the floppy and the A:\> prompt will appear. I think you have got
    > this far. Above this prompt will be a message indicating the drive letter
    > (eg, D) assigned to the CD drive. If this message isn't there, the
    > installation of the drivers for the CD has failed, and you will need to
    > investigate why.

    Your right. I got this far. Now why do the drivers fail and how does one
    rectfy that? When I type in the cdrom R:drive I get this
    message"CDR101:not ready reading drive R Abort,Retry,Fail" What does
    this mean and what does one do about it?

    > When you know that the CD drivers are installed and you have identified the
    > drive letter for the CD drive, insert the CD and type x:\Setup where x is
    > the drive letter for the CD drive.

    I did this. "cdr101 drive not ready abort retry fail" This is the
    message I get.

    This will get setup running and Windows
    > will install. If you have a special installation CD supplied by your system
    > manufacturer the setup command might be different - the installation
    > procedure they have provided for you will describe the different command to
    > be used.

    I do have all the original startup cd and floppy disk. Is there a way to
    check then for their install command?

    How does one know when the cd drivers are installed or how do you
    install the cd drivers? I did follow the cd drivers install process on
    the generic cd drivers from bootdisk.com, but I still receive the
    "cdr101 drive not ready abort retry fail" message. My cd drive before
    the attempted format when the system was booting fine to windows 95, was
    a G:drive. "That is not a valid drive" I receive when i type win95 in
    the A:prompt. So as you may be able to dedeuce from all this there has
    to a simple solution to this problem. But what is it exactly? I really
    hope to find this out soon and the sooner the better. But I know many
    like a challenge so a resolve is most worthy, do you agree?

    > If this process doesn't work, do
    > DIR x:
    > where x is the disk drive letter assigned to the CD. This will tell you
    > that the CD is recognised properly and working OK, so you only need to find
    > out the command required to start installation.

    I did the DIR for the suggested drive and I get this message "cdr101
    drive not ready abort retry fail" message. When booting with the statrup
    floppy I can see boot screens that the cdrom is found along with name,
    yet startup can not find the cdrom for whatever reason. What are the
    possible commands to start installation?

    > Do NOT use a startup floppy for any system other than the one you are
    > installing, as it will create problems later on.

    On your opening comment I see that maybe I should NOT do that and heed
    this last comment. Is that what you mean? Thank you for hanging in
    there with me thus far! Bryan

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "...drive not ready abort, retry or fail": normally means the media is
    not present or unreadable. Normally the result of no disk in drive or
    the drive head is unable to retreive data from the media with the
    apropriate accuracy verification. When a disk IS present in a CD ROM
    this could be the result of a malfunctioning drive, soiled read head
    lense, soiled disk, scratched disk or oxidized reflective layer in the
    disk. If you can read the directories on the CD in another computer, the
    problem might be a dirty lense or malfunctioning drive.

    If either the data or power cables weren't connected or working you
    would get a "Invalid drive specification" when you typed "R:" (or
    another letter depending on the options in your MSCDEX command) to
    access the CD ROM. If the floppy's autoexec.bat file contained an "Echo
    NO" command your computer would also display an error while the floppy
    is booting in a computer with many of the electrical or elecronic
    problems associated with the CD drive. You should also get the "Invalid
    drive..." error changing drives at the DOS prompt if the two commands
    initiallizing the CD drive failed. With "ECHO NO" in the floppy's
    autoexec.bat file, a lack of error messages while booting from the
    floppy would be an indication that the floppy was properly configured to
    allow CD drive access.

    Any hazard from booting a floppy would be dependent on what files the
    floppy contained. The boot floppies generated by Windows 95 wouldn't get
    into any mischef unless directed by something typed at the DOS prompt.
    When a hard drive partition is formatted with the option to copy system
    files, the OS is copied from the boot floppy to the hard drive. The
    Windows installation files would probably balk at overwriting the system
    files on a hard disk formatted with a newer OS's system files.

    bryan wrote:

> [...]
    >

    >> If this process doesn't work, do
    >> DIR x:
    >> where x is the disk drive letter assigned to the CD. This will tell
    >> you that the CD is recognised properly and working OK, so you only
    >> need to find out the command required to start installation.
    >

    > I did the DIR for the suggested drive and I get this message "cdr101
    > drive not ready abort retry fail" message. When booting with the statrup
    > floppy I can see boot screens that the cdrom is found along with name,
    > yet startup can not find the cdrom for whatever reason. What are the
    > possible commands to start installation?
    >

    >> Do NOT use a startup floppy for any system other than the one you are
    >> installing, as it will create problems later on.
    >

    > On your opening comment I see that maybe I should NOT do that and heed
    > this last comment. Is that what you mean? Thank you for hanging in

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Andreware@J30AD.org wrote:

    > bryan wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks Ben. Is there a simple way to check if the cdrom is faulty? I did
    >>read somewhere a few weeks ago that the master should be connected to
    >>the end of the ribbon cable. So I checked the physical connection and
    >>the gard drive and cdrom are on the same ribbon connector to the
    >>motherboard, with the cdrom-slave first in line, than the hard
    >>drive-master lastly. I hope this is correct. The cdrom is an acer model
    >>no:CD-912E/ATK. When booting up using the various bootdisk.com disks and
    >>I arrive at the R:dirve, when I type in Win95 or touch any key, I
    >>receive the message"CDR101: not ready reading drive R Abort,Retry,Fail"
    >>What does this message mean? Thanks..Bryan
    >>

    > * SNIP *
    >
    > So it looks like this?

    This is what it looks like.

    > A:>R:\Win95\setup
    >
    > CDR101: Not ready reading drive R
    > Abort, Retry, Fail?
    >
    > The 'not ready' error means that the drive does not a CD inserted into
    > it or the CD is faulty. Try inserting a different CD and type "DIR
    > R:". If you can read some CD on this drive that means that your '95 cd
    > is corrupt.
    >
    > Andrew

    Ok i will try another cd. Does it matter if it is data or music, as I do
    not have another win95 cd? Sure hope the w95 cd is not corrupt, and it
    did fine always and what would cause it to all of sudden become corrupt?
    Thanks Ben...Bryan
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    The easiest way to check the CD drive is to put it in another computer. You can
    also try a known good CD drive in the problem computer. If you thind the hard
    drive/CD drive combination is incompatible, try unhooking the hard drive and
    rejumpering the CD drive as "Master, slave not present", if possible. You also
    might try the manufacturer's DOS driver for the unit. Please note that the install
    program assumes the computer has a bootable hard drive.

    ftp://ftp.aopen.com/pub/driver/cdrom/cd_drv/cdrom340.exe

    Ben

    "bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:41803ABF.9070304@hotmail.com...
    > Thanks Ben. Is there a simple way to check if the cdrom is faulty? I did
    > read somewhere a few weeks ago that the master should be connected to
    > the end of the ribbon cable. So I checked the physical connection and
    > the gard drive and cdrom are on the same ribbon connector to the
    > motherboard, with the cdrom-slave first in line, than the hard
    > drive-master lastly. I hope this is correct. The cdrom is an acer model
    > no:CD-912E/ATK. When booting up using the various bootdisk.com disks and
    > I arrive at the R:dirve, when I type in Win95 or touch any key, I
    > receive the message"CDR101: not ready reading drive R Abort,Retry,Fail"
    > What does this message mean? Thanks..Bryan
    >
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >
    > > Make sure the CD drive is not defective and is properly connected. If it is
    > > connected through a sound card, you may have to load drivers for that as
    > > well. If this doesn't help, please repost with more information, including
    > > manufacturer and model of the CD drive.
    > >
    > > Ben
    > >
    > > "bryan" <bryanp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:417EFF8A.6060606@hotmail.com...
    > >
    > >>Thanks Ben. I did all this and yet I am unable to access the cdrom setup
    > >>win95 cd. Why is this? Thank you....

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    The message means that the driver is installed and MSCDEX is running and the
    device has been assigned a drive letter, but the system fails to access the
    CD. Does the CD spin up when you attempt to access it? The fact that you
    cannot get a proper response for _any_ access attempt strongly suggests a
    fault with the drive, rather than just a scratched CD or dirty drive (but
    you could check the disk and clean the drive anyway). That the drivers were
    installed and started strongly suggests that they are correct for your
    drive.

    If you have another drive, you could configure and install it. For the
    current drive, double check the drive power and data cables. The typical
    installation for a CD drive is as a slave device on the primary IDE
    controller (it shares the same cable with the hard disk) or as a primary
    device on the second controller (the hard drive and the CD use separate
    cables). If the CD is on its own cable, check that cable very carefully at
    both ends for bent or broken pins, and check the connection at the
    motherboard end. If there's just one cable, check the CD end very
    carefully, but don't touch the other connections. Do you know how to check
    whether the CD is configured as master or slave? Has the CD configuration
    changed since the device last worked?

    To install the correct drivers you can search for DOS drivers for your
    specific make and model, and follow the installation procedure. This will
    involve copying a driver file (typically, a .SYS file) to the floppy and
    inserting a reference to it in the startup files (CONFIG.SYS). Nowadays,
    finding a DOS driver for your particular drive would be difficult (unless
    you have it on a CD supplied with the drive) and configuring the startup
    file to use it can be tricky (unless it has an installation procedure). In
    any case, as mentioned above, I don't think drivers are the problem.

    It's quite OK to test the startup floppy on any system, but when it comes to
    using it to do the actual installation it should be right version. However,
    you are beyond that stage now, as you have proved the startup floppy is
    working. I don't imagine that choosing different startup floppies will
    affect the CD problem, as they all use the same procedure to find and load
    the CD drivers.

    Note that your setup command is probably SETUP, not WIN95, but that can be
    checked when you get access to the CD - the response to the DIR command will
    indicate how to start the installation.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

> [...]
    >

    >> If this process doesn't work, do
    >> DIR x:
    >> where x is the disk drive letter assigned to the CD. This will tell you
    >> that the CD is recognised properly and working OK, so you only need to
    >> find out the command required to start installation.
    >
    > I did the DIR for the suggested drive and I get this message "cdr101 drive
    > not ready abort retry fail" message. When booting with the statrup floppy
    > I can see boot screens that the cdrom is found along with name, yet
    > startup can not find the cdrom for whatever reason. What are the possible
    > commands to start installation?
    >

    >> Do NOT use a startup floppy for any system other than the one you are
    >> installing, as it will create problems later on.
    >
    > On your opening comment I see that maybe I should NOT do that and heed
    > this last comment. Is that what you mean? Thank you for hanging in there

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Thank you so much for your detailed note. It makes total sense to me now
    and I think and hope I will get somewhere now resolving this problem.

    Jeff Richards wrote:

    > The message means that the driver is installed and MSCDEX is running and the
    > device has been assigned a drive letter, but the system fails to access the
    > CD. Does the CD spin up when you attempt to access it?

    It has begun to spin up a few times but would stop immediately and I
    would receive the response about not ready, abort etc.

    The fact that you
    > cannot get a proper response for _any_ access attempt strongly suggests a
    > fault with the drive, rather than just a scratched CD or dirty drive (but
    > you could check the disk and clean the drive anyway).

    I have never cleaned a drive yet, is that difficult and how is it done?

    That the drivers were
    > installed and started strongly suggests that they are correct for your
    > drive.
    >
    > If you have another drive, you could configure and install it.

    If this drive proves faulty I will purchase another one and try that.

    For the
    > current drive, double check the drive power and data cables. The typical
    > installation for a CD drive is as a slave device on the primary IDE
    > controller (it shares the same cable with the hard disk) or as a primary
    > device on the second controller (the hard drive and the CD use separate
    > cables).

    My cdrom and hard drive are on the same cables and the cdrom is slave.

    If the CD is on its own cable, check that cable very carefully at
    > both ends for bent or broken pins, and check the connection at the
    > motherboard end. If there's just one cable, check the CD end very
    > carefully, but don't touch the other connections. Do you know how to check
    > whether the CD is configured as master or slave? Has the CD configuration
    > changed since the device last worked?

    I know how to check cd configuration and it is set to slave on the back
    using the clip provided. I do not believe the configuration has changed
    since the cdroms last known working condition.

    > To install the correct drivers you can search for DOS drivers for your
    > specific make and model, and follow the installation procedure. This will
    > involve copying a driver file (typically, a .SYS file) to the floppy and
    > inserting a reference to it in the startup files (CONFIG.SYS). Nowadays,
    > finding a DOS driver for your particular drive would be difficult (unless
    > you have it on a CD supplied with the drive) and configuring the startup
    > file to use it can be tricky (unless it has an installation procedure). In
    > any case, as mentioned above, I don't think drivers are the problem.

    This system came with its very own crdom floppy. I have not seen that
    since. Is this quite commom or was?

    > It's quite OK to test the startup floppy on any system, but when it comes to
    > using it to do the actual installation it should be right version. However,
    > you are beyond that stage now, as you have proved the startup floppy is
    > working. I don't imagine that choosing different startup floppies will
    > affect the CD problem, as they all use the same procedure to find and load
    > the CD drivers.
    >
    > Note that your setup command is probably SETUP, not WIN95, but that can be
    > checked when you get access to the CD - the response to the DIR command will
    > indicate how to start the installation.

    Well now I will do some more checking and again thank you Jeff...Bryan

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    I tried another data cd. I am able to receive info when I type DIR. I am
    so encouraged and may save a bit of money. Now the problem I have is if
    the win95 cd is corrupt what do I do now if I want to re-install win95?
    Can it be repaired? The system is a Pentium 133 with a 2.5G hard drive.
    How difficult woud it be to put w98 or XP pro on this system? What are
    the pros and cons if it is feasible? Thank you for your help...Bryan

    Andreware@J30AD.org wrote:

    > bryan wrote:
    >
    >>Andreware@J30AD.org wrote:

    >>>* SNIP *
    >>>
    >>>So it looks like this?
    >>>
    >>This is what it looks like.
    >>

    >>>A:>R:\Win95\setup
    >>>
    >>>CDR101: Not ready reading drive R
    >>>Abort, Retry, Fail?
    >>>
    >>>The 'not ready' error means that the drive does not a CD inserted into
    >>>it or the CD is faulty. Try inserting a different CD and type "DIR
    >>>R:". If you can read some CD on this drive that means that your '95 cd
    >>>is corrupt.
    >>>
    >>>Andrew
    >>>

    >>Ok i will try another cd. Does it matter if it is data or music, as I do
    >>not have another win95 cd? Sure hope the w95 cd is not corrupt, and it
    >>did fine always and what would cause it to all of sudden become corrupt?
    >>Thanks Ben...Bryan
    >>
    > Preferably you should use a DATA CD.
    >
    > Andrew

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    You can clean a CD drive the same way that you clean an audio CD player, but
    I also find that a good blast of air into the mechanism also often helps.

    The fact that it spins up and stops strongly suggests a faulty drive.

    Standard troubleshooting would be to confirm the CD is OK by using it in
    another machine, then confirm the drive is OK by using it in another
    machine, then installing a known-good drive in this machine.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> [...]
    >> In any case, as mentioned above, I don't think drivers are the problem.
    >

    > This system came with its very own crdom floppy. I have not seen that
    > since. Is this quite commom or was?
    >

    >> It's quite OK to test the startup floppy on any system, but when it comes
    >> to using it to do the actual installation it should be right version.
    >> However, you are beyond that stage now, as you have proved the startup
    >> floppy is working. I don't imagine that choosing different startup
    >> floppies will affect the CD problem, as they all use the same procedure
    >> to find and load the CD drivers.
    >>
    >> Note that your setup command is probably SETUP, not WIN95, but that can
    >> be checked when you get access to the CD - the response to the DIR
    >> command will indicate how to start the installation.
    >

    > Well now I will do some more checking and again thank you Jeff...Bryan

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    I have tried the cd in my good machine. I was able to explore it no
    problem. The autorun feature would not work though. I have windows XP
    Pro. Could that be why? I really do not want to try the drive in my good
    machine as the good unit may need to be formatted because it has become
    increasingly slow recently and I do not want to create any additional
    problems for myself. I will try to clean the hard drive though. I do not
    have any compressed air so don't know I will do that. I am not in the
    repair business so I do not have the tools for such nor do I want to
    make any costly tool expenditures just yet. Thank you again...Bryan

    Jeff Richards wrote:

    > You can clean a CD drive the same way that you clean an audio CD player, but
    > I also find that a good blast of air into the mechanism also often helps.
    >
    > The fact that it spins up and stops strongly suggests a faulty drive.
    >
    > Standard troubleshooting would be to confirm the CD is OK by using it in
    > another machine, then confirm the drive is OK by using it in another
    > machine, then installing a known-good drive in this machine.

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    You don't need compressed air - just a good blow. The autorun feature is a
    software setting and is not relevant to your problem, so you have proved the
    CD is not the problem. I can understand not wanting to disturb the existing
    good machine. Do you have access to a different CD drive from some other
    source?
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >I have tried the cd in my good machine. I was able to explore it no
    >problem. The autorun feature would not work though. I have windows XP Pro.
    >Could that be why? I really do not want to try the drive in my good machine
    >as the good unit may need to be formatted because it has become
    >increasingly slow recently and I do not want to create any additional
    >problems for myself. I will try to clean the hard drive though. I do not
    >have any compressed air so don't know I will do that. I am not in the
    >repair business so I do not have the tools for such nor do I want to make
    >any costly tool expenditures just yet. Thank you again...Bryan

Boot Hard Drives Windows