Someone please explain why this can't be done

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
November 20, 2004 4:05:17 PM

I have an external HP 4215 all-in-one printer. I use it for sending and
receiving faxes. I have other printers for photos and text. What I want to
do, is have the incoming fax sent to my pc to be saved and/or edited instead
of having it printed out by the machine. I don't care if it does print out a
hard copy but I definitely want it to xfer the incoming image or message to
my pc for viewing. The reason is, I have had incoming faxes destroyed by a
clunking mechanical paper feeder. The transmission was fine, but the output
is unacceptable. Why can't the incoming message/image be sent to the pc as a
PDF or TIFF or some other image format so I can read the message at my
leisure. I know there are third party programs that will do this, BUT ONLY
for TAPI modems(waaaay to old fashioned). They keep looking for a dial-up
modem on my pc and I haven't had those 56k things in my system for ages. I
also know that faxes are still analog. But why in the hell can't they be
converted to digital and sent to the pc. It doesn't seem to be that big of a
deal technologically speaking that is. The fax machine is connected to my pc
via USB. Now, I know you can setup Win apps to send material to your fax
machine to be broadcast or sent, but never the reverse. WHY?? This is really
frustrating. I've tried setting the fax printer's port to PDF(Adobe) and
virtual USB and Local port, and even "Print to File" port, hoping that when
the printer starts after transmission, it will also send a copy to the
computer. But this isn't working either. I can't believe no one else has
ever wondered this. Faxes can be sent to the pc, but only if you use
outdated hardware. Go figure. Any thoughts?

Ron

More about : explain

Anonymous
a b α HP
November 20, 2004 10:05:04 PM

In article <cno110$110$1@domitilla.zzzzzz.org>, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com>
wrote:

> I have an external HP 4215 all-in-one printer. I use it for sending and
> receiving faxes. I have other printers for photos and text. What I want to
> do, is have the incoming fax sent to my pc to be saved and/or edited instead
> of having it printed out by the machine. I don't care if it does print out a
> hard copy but I definitely want it to xfer the incoming image or message to
> my pc for viewing.

Just put a faxmodem in your PC and run fax software, and have your
inbound fax line go to that.
November 20, 2004 10:32:04 PM

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> In article <cno110$110$1@domitilla.zzzzzz.org>, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I have an external HP 4215 all-in-one printer. I use it for sending and
> > receiving faxes. I have other printers for photos and text. What I want
> > do, is have the incoming fax sent to my pc to be saved and/or edited
instead
> > of having it printed out by the machine. I don't care if it does print
out a
> > hard copy but I definitely want it to xfer the incoming image or message
> > my pc for viewing.
>
> Just put a faxmodem in your PC and run fax software, and have your
> inbound fax line go to that.

Can't. All slots taken. Besides, I wouldn't put 10 year old tech back into
my system. And, my mobo doesn't even have EISA slots.
a b α HP
November 20, 2004 10:32:05 PM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:32:04 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> found these
unused words floating about:

>"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
>> In article <cno110$110$1@domitilla.zzzzzz.org>, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I have an external HP 4215 all-in-one printer. I use it for sending and
>> > receiving faxes. I have other printers for photos and text. What I want
>> > do, is have the incoming fax sent to my pc to be saved and/or edited
>instead
>> > of having it printed out by the machine. I don't care if it does print
>out a
>> > hard copy but I definitely want it to xfer the incoming image or message
>> > my pc for viewing.
>>
>> Just put a faxmodem in your PC and run fax software, and have your
>> inbound fax line go to that.
>>

>Can't. All slots taken. Besides, I wouldn't put 10 year old tech back into
>my system. And, my mobo doesn't even have EISA slots.

.... besides ... how would you 'edit' it?
A fax is an image of the document NOT and OCR'd copy.
November 20, 2004 11:52:20 PM

"J. A. Mc." <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:32:04 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> found these
> unused words floating about:
>

> >"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message

> >instead
> >out a
> >>
> >> Just put a faxmodem in your PC and run fax software, and have your
> >> inbound fax line go to that.
> >>

> >Can't. All slots taken. Besides, I wouldn't put 10 year old tech back
into
> >my system. And, my mobo doesn't even have EISA slots.
> >
> ... besides ... how would you 'edit' it?
> A fax is an image of the document NOT and OCR'd copy.

Well, it doesn't have to be OCR'd to edit, if you include graphic editing in
the definition of the term. I could circle emphasized areas or edit the
image via a paint program. But I also have an OCR prog as well. The thing
is, everything nowadays is digital. But for the life of me, I can't
understand why faxes are still analog. I mainly use the fax for sending and
receiving forms and applications. It's be nice if everyone had a PDF
document maker. Then they could scan in their form, convert it to PDF, and
then send via email. Faxes would then be obsolete. Everything could be
viewed and printed out on the receiver's pc. No need for telephone lines.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 20, 2004 11:59:18 PM

In article <cnosd3$ei3$1@domitilla.zzzzzz.org>, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com>
wrote:

> But for the life of me, I can't
> understand why faxes are still analog.

They aren't, not exclusively.

But you need the right kind of machine. A $89 consumer product isn't
the right kind of machine, under any circumstances.

What you're describing would be brutally simple to do; in fact, office
equipment manufacturers have been doing it for some time now. Fax
reception right to the desktop. But again, not on an $89 consumer
machine.

Faxmodems aren't old technology; Macintosh to this day can do faxing.

But anyway, how about using an online fax service instead? It'll do
exactly what you need.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 21, 2004 5:18:42 AM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:32:04 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:

>"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
>> In article <cno110$110$1@domitilla.zzzzzz.org>, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I have an external HP 4215 all-in-one printer. I use it for sending and
>> > receiving faxes. I have other printers for photos and text. What I want
>> > do, is have the incoming fax sent to my pc to be saved and/or edited
>instead
>> > of having it printed out by the machine. I don't care if it does print
>out a
>> > hard copy but I definitely want it to xfer the incoming image or message
>> > my pc for viewing.
>>
>> Just put a faxmodem in your PC and run fax software, and have your
>> inbound fax line go to that.
>>

>Can't. All slots taken. Besides, I wouldn't put 10 year old tech back into
>my system. And, my mobo doesn't even have EISA slots.

Buy an external voice/fax modem. They're cheap and do the job, and you
can attach them to a USB port.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

> Buy an external voice/fax modem. They're cheap and do the job, and you
> can attach them to a USB port.
>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui

Then why did I buy this HP Fax machine? No, I need a solution to make THIS
fax work. But from what I'm getting in response, it seems it can't be done.
Oh well, thanks to all for the ideas.

Ron
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 21, 2004 9:06:21 AM

yes, but what backup do you have if your cable modem goes out or your HP is
down? I use my fax modem as a backup for just that reason. It also allowed me
to buy the 3 in 1 Epson printer, whose other features far outweigh the lack of
a fax function (e.g.,a high resolution 35 mm slide scanner, built in).

Sherwin D.

Ron wrote:

> > Buy an external voice/fax modem. They're cheap and do the job, and you
> > can attach them to a USB port.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Hecate - The Real One
> > Hecate@newsguy.com
> > veni, vidi, reliqui
>
> Then why did I buy this HP Fax machine? No, I need a solution to make THIS
> fax work. But from what I'm getting in response, it seems it can't be done.
> Oh well, thanks to all for the ideas.
>
> Ron
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 21, 2004 9:54:09 AM

In article <cnp069$l7j$1@domitilla.zzzzzz.org>, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com>
wrote:

> Then why did I buy this HP Fax machine? No, I need a solution to make THIS
> fax work.

That's like saying "gee, I'd really love to start doing landscape work;
I need my Honda Civic to tow a large trailer. Why can't it do this?
Why did I buy this car if it can't do what I want?"

You knew what the HP did when you bought it. Why are you crying about
it now?

I understand if you say, "There should be a machine out there to do
this." When you turn it into "why did I buy this machine if it can't do
something like this," that's between you and yourself.

It's a great question, actually, that the rest of us would love to know
the answer to: why DID you buy it if it didn't meet your needs?

More importantly, why are you coming here to bitch if you bought the
wrong machine for your needs? You aren't blaming the MACHINE, are you?
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 21, 2004 11:59:34 AM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 06:54:09 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> found these unused words floating about:

>In article <cnp069$l7j$1@domitilla.zzzzzz.org>, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Then why did I buy this HP Fax machine? No, I need a solution to make THIS
>> fax work.
>
>That's like saying "gee, I'd really love to start doing landscape work;
>I need my Honda Civic to tow a large trailer. Why can't it do this?
>Why did I buy this car if it can't do what I want?"
>
>You knew what the HP did when you bought it. Why are you crying about
>it now?
>
>I understand if you say, "There should be a machine out there to do
>this." When you turn it into "why did I buy this machine if it can't do
>something like this," that's between you and yourself.
>
>It's a great question, actually, that the rest of us would love to know
>the answer to: why DID you buy it if it didn't meet your needs?
>
>More importantly, why are you coming here to bitch if you bought the
>wrong machine for your needs? You aren't blaming the MACHINE, are you?

Besides ... FAXing is 30 year old technology ... why is he/she/it even using
it? <G>
>"Besides, I wouldn't put 10 year old tech back into my system."
November 21, 2004 12:39:34 PM

"Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message news:<cnosd3$ei3$1@domitilla.zzzzzz.org>...
> > >Can't. All slots taken. Besides, I wouldn't put 10 year old tech back
> into
> > >my system. And, my mobo doesn't even have EISA slots.

Faxes are at least 30-year-old technology. You want to be compatible
with them, ...

> > ... besides ... how would you 'edit' it?
> > A fax is an image of the document NOT and OCR'd copy.
> >

> Well, it doesn't have to be OCR'd to edit, if you include graphic editing in
> the definition of the term. I could circle emphasized areas or edit the
> image via a paint program. But I also have an OCR prog as well. The thing
> is, everything nowadays is digital. But for the life of me, I can't
> understand why faxes are still analog.

Are they really analog? Regardless, it's a standard. Like telephones,
you can't obsolete old equipment by changing the format.

Get an external 56k modem; people are throwing them away now.
Alternatively, you can use a fax-to-email service. I use
<http://www.efax.com/&gt; which is free, if you accept some spam, or you
can pay for more messages and no spam. I only need to use it about
once a month so the free service is fine for me. They email an image
file of any faxes sent to the number they give you.
November 21, 2004 12:50:50 PM

> In article <cnp069$l7j$1@domitilla.zzzzzz.org>, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Then why did I buy this HP Fax machine? No, I need a solution to make
THIS
> > fax work.
>
> That's like saying "gee, I'd really love to start doing landscape work;
> I need my Honda Civic to tow a large trailer. Why can't it do this?
> Why did I buy this car if it can't do what I want?"

Yeah, just like that.

> You knew what the HP did when you bought it. Why are you crying about
> it now?

Nope. Didn't know that. That's the reason for the original post. Not crying
about it either. But now you're getting tweaked because you have nothing
meaningful to add so you throw it back on me. It's typical of would-be
resident officianados who, if they can't be the savior du jour, cry "you're
an idiot".

> I understand if you say, "There should be a machine out there to do
> this." When you turn it into "why did I buy this machine if it can't do
> something like this," that's between you and yourself.

Yes there should be one. Haven't found it yet. Thought this one would.
That's why I bought it. All the separate fax machines I saw(Brothers mostly)
do not connect to your pc. The question was to emphasize the absurdity of
the suggestion that I simply use a faxmodem rather than this new printer
that I ALREADY have and my unwillingness to plug ten year old tech back into
my computer. Apparently the poster, who suggested that I simply ignore my
new purchase and put in an old EISA fax modem, thought that was a rational
suggestion( like that's what anyone would do). I thought that perhaps
someone would have a workaround or a way of monitoring printer output and
logging that output so it could be replicated on your pc via a viewer or
something like that.

> It's a great question, actually, that the rest of us would love to know
> the answer to: why DID you buy it if it didn't meet your needs?

The "rest of us"? Are you the mouthpiece for this group now?

> More importantly, why are you coming here to bitch if you bought the
> wrong machine for your needs? You aren't blaming the MACHINE, are you?

*yawn* see above

Really, it's ok if you can't help. No need to get irate.
November 21, 2004 3:18:44 PM

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 06:54:09 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> <elmop@nastydesigns.com> found these unused words floating about:
>
> >In article <cnp069$l7j$1@domitilla.zzzzzz.org>, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Then why did I buy this HP Fax machine? No, I need a solution to make
THIS
> >> fax work.
> >
> >That's like saying "gee, I'd really love to start doing landscape work;
> >I need my Honda Civic to tow a large trailer. Why can't it do this?
> >Why did I buy this car if it can't do what I want?"
> >
> >You knew what the HP did when you bought it. Why are you crying about
> >it now?
> >
> >I understand if you say, "There should be a machine out there to do
> >this." When you turn it into "why did I buy this machine if it can't do
> >something like this," that's between you and yourself.
> >
> >It's a great question, actually, that the rest of us would love to know
> >the answer to: why DID you buy it if it didn't meet your needs?
> >
> >More importantly, why are you coming here to bitch if you bought the
> >wrong machine for your needs? You aren't blaming the MACHINE, are you?
>
> Besides ... FAXing is 30 year old technology ... why is he/she/it even
using
> it? <G>

Exactly. That's why I said I wish everyone had a PDF maker and a scanner.
No more TAPI.

> >"Besides, I wouldn't put 10 year old tech back into my system."
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 22, 2004 4:07:38 AM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:56:59 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:

>> Buy an external voice/fax modem. They're cheap and do the job, and you
>> can attach them to a USB port.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hecate - The Real One
>> Hecate@newsguy.com
>> veni, vidi, reliqui
>
>Then why did I buy this HP Fax machine?

Actually, that's the real question ;-)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

10 year old technology. What's wrong with that? You are a PC salesman's dream
who runs out and upgrades their machine, just to have the 'latest' technology.
You
already have a 3 in 1 machine. You are probably anxiously awaiting the 4 in 1
so you
can see how many functions you can cram into one device. I use my cable modem
get high speed Internet, but I don't need that high speed for faxes. It's
called adapting
to the available technology. Some of us gave you, what I thought was a
reasonable
work around, but you appear to be a technology snob who wouldn't want to violate

their machine by plugging in that ten year old stuff. I commend you trying to
protect
your PC. By the way, if you have a mouse, you better get rid of that old
technology
and update to voice actuated input, just to be consistent.

Sherwin D.

Ron wrote:

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> > In article <cnp069$l7j$1@domitilla.zzzzzz.org>, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Then why did I buy this HP Fax machine? No, I need a solution to make
> THIS
> > > fax work.
> >
> > That's like saying "gee, I'd really love to start doing landscape work;
> > I need my Honda Civic to tow a large trailer. Why can't it do this?
> > Why did I buy this car if it can't do what I want?"
>
> Yeah, just like that.
>

> > You knew what the HP did when you bought it. Why are you crying about
> > it now?
>
> Nope. Didn't know that. That's the reason for the original post. Not crying
> about it either. But now you're getting tweaked because you have nothing
> meaningful to add so you throw it back on me. It's typical of would-be
> resident officianados who, if they can't be the savior du jour, cry "you're
> an idiot".
>

> > I understand if you say, "There should be a machine out there to do
> > this." When you turn it into "why did I buy this machine if it can't do
> > something like this," that's between you and yourself.
>
> Yes there should be one. Haven't found it yet. Thought this one would.
> That's why I bought it. All the separate fax machines I saw(Brothers mostly)
> do not connect to your pc. The question was to emphasize the absurdity of
> the suggestion that I simply use a faxmodem rather than this new printer
> that I ALREADY have and my unwillingness to plug ten year old tech back into
> my computer. Apparently the poster, who suggested that I simply ignore my
> new purchase and put in an old EISA fax modem, thought that was a rational
> suggestion( like that's what anyone would do). I thought that perhaps
> someone would have a workaround or a way of monitoring printer output and
> logging that output so it could be replicated on your pc via a viewer or
> something like that.
>

> > It's a great question, actually, that the rest of us would love to know
> > the answer to: why DID you buy it if it didn't meet your needs?
>
> The "rest of us"? Are you the mouthpiece for this group now?
>

> > More importantly, why are you coming here to bitch if you bought the
> > wrong machine for your needs? You aren't blaming the MACHINE, are you?
> >

> *yawn* see above
>
> Really, it's ok if you can't help. No need to get irate.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 22, 2004 11:36:35 AM

On 21 Nov 2004 09:39:34 -0800, 7ibehx001@sneakemail.com (Alan) wrote:

>> into
>
>Faxes are at least 30-year-old technology. You want to be compatible
>with them, ...

A little trivia here; faxes were around during the mid fifties.

>> > ... besides ... how would you 'edit' it?
>> > A fax is an image of the document NOT and OCR'd copy.
>> >

>> Well, it doesn't have to be OCR'd to edit, if you include graphic editing in
>> the definition of the term. I could circle emphasized areas or edit the
>> image via a paint program. But I also have an OCR prog as well. The thing
>> is, everything nowadays is digital. But for the life of me, I can't
>> understand why faxes are still analog.
>
>Are they really analog? Regardless, it's a standard. Like telephones,
>you can't obsolete old equipment by changing the format.
>

>Get an external 56k modem; people are throwing them away now.
>Alternatively, you can use a fax-to-email service. I use
><http://www.efax.com/&gt; which is free, if you accept some spam, or you
>can pay for more messages and no spam. I only need to use it about
>once a month so the free service is fine for me. They email an image
>file of any faxes sent to the number they give you.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 22, 2004 11:44:35 AM

E. Barry Bruyea wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2004 09:39:34 -0800, 7ibehx001@sneakemail.com (Alan) wrote:
>

> A little trivia here; faxes were around during the mid fifties.

You gotto go back a lot further than that. I believe the first pat.
on the concept predates the telephone. Actual application isn't
anywhere near that old.

I was using them in the 60's and they were not new then. Early fax
machines used rotating drums with "carbon paper". At connection both
machines had to work at sync their drums and then signals told
receiving machine when to strike the paper and leave a mark. Don't
think you could even call them analog and signal was bi-tonal.

Mickey
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 22, 2004 11:54:17 AM

Ron wrote:
> "J. A. Mc." <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 06:54:09 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
>><elmop@nastydesigns.com> found these unused words floating about:

> THIS

>>>That's like saying "gee, I'd really love to start doing landscape work;
>>>I need my Honda Civic to tow a large trailer. Why can't it do this?
>>>Why did I buy this car if it can't do what I want?"
>>>
>>>You knew what the HP did when you bought it. Why are you crying about
>>>it now?
>>>
>>>I understand if you say, "There should be a machine out there to do
>>>this." When you turn it into "why did I buy this machine if it can't do
>>>something like this," that's between you and yourself.
>>>
>>>It's a great question, actually, that the rest of us would love to know
>>>the answer to: why DID you buy it if it didn't meet your needs?
>>>
>>>More importantly, why are you coming here to bitch if you bought the
>>>wrong machine for your needs? You aren't blaming the MACHINE, are you?
>>
>>Besides ... FAXing is 30 year old technology ... why is he/she/it even
>
> using
>
>>it? <G>
>

> Exactly. That's why I said I wish everyone had a PDF maker and a scanner.
> No more TAPI.
>

>>>"Besides, I wouldn't put 10 year old tech back into my system."

Ron, you're making a BAD assumption that there is a computer sitting
near every fax machine. You are also making an assumption that the
person on the receiving end has same setup as you and is able to
receive your non-std fax transmission. Some restaurants with busy
lunchtime business use fax machine to receive orders so food is ready
when customer gets there. Don't think you'll find a computer sitting
on the counter in the kitchen.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 22, 2004 12:29:00 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:44:35 -0800, Mickey <mickey@webster.com> found these
unused words floating about:

>E. Barry Bruyea wrote:
>> On 21 Nov 2004 09:39:34 -0800, 7ibehx001@sneakemail.com (Alan) wrote:
>>

>> A little trivia here; faxes were around during the mid fifties.
>>

>You gotto go back a lot further than that. I believe the first pat.
>on the concept predates the telephone. Actual application isn't
>anywhere near that old.
>
>I was using them in the 60's and they were not new then. Early fax
>machines used rotating drums with "carbon paper". At connection both
>machines had to work at sync their drums and then signals told
>receiving machine when to strike the paper and leave a mark. Don't
>think you could even call them analog and signal was bi-tonal.
>
>Mickey

"Bi-tonal" -IS- analog !
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 22, 2004 12:30:47 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:54:17 -0800, Mickey <mickey@webster.com> found these
unused words floating about:

>Ron wrote:
>> "J. A. Mc." <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 06:54:09 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
>>><elmop@nastydesigns.com> found these unused words floating about:

>> THIS

>>>Besides ... FAXing is 30 year old technology ... why is he/she/it even
>>
>> using
>>
>>>it? <G>
>>

>> Exactly. That's why I said I wish everyone had a PDF maker and a scanner.
>> No more TAPI.

>Ron, you're making a BAD assumption that there is a computer sitting
>near every fax machine. You are also making an assumption that the
>person on the receiving end has same setup as you and is able to
>receive your non-std fax transmission. Some restaurants with busy
>lunchtime business use fax machine to receive orders so food is ready
>when customer gets there. Don't think you'll find a computer sitting
>on the counter in the kitchen.

P. Poor restaurant then ... most good, busy restaurants use a computer
system to transmit the waiter's order to the chef. Then it's also passed on
and coded to create the bill.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 22, 2004 5:00:39 PM

In message <cnonmj$6dj$1@domitilla.zzzzzz.org>, Ron <rkrebs1@rcn.com>
writes
>"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
>> Just put a faxmodem in your PC and run fax software, and have your
>> inbound fax line go to that.
>Can't. All slots taken. Besides, I wouldn't put 10 year old tech back into
>my system. And, my mobo doesn't even have EISA slots.

Get an external one then and plug it into a usb somewhere.

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
tlatwightpropertydotcom

"sherwindu" <sherwindu@comcast.net> wrote in message
> 10 year old technology. What's wrong with that? You are a PC salesman's
dream
> who runs out and upgrades their machine, just to have the 'latest'
technology.
> You
> already have a 3 in 1 machine. You are probably anxiously awaiting the 4
in 1
> so you
> can see how many functions you can cram into one device.

No, I don't upgrade everytime something new comes out. But certainly when
new devices that I DO want do not work with current setups.
Case in point: My mom needs a new printer. She has an "old" system. How
many printers out there NOW have LPT ports in them? Huh? Lots you say? Oh,
ok so I just get her a USB card, right? Now, what? Oh that's right, she's
still only using Win95(the early one NOT the one with USB support). SO, now
I should also get her Win98 or later, right? SHeesh. You just don't get it
do you?

>I use my cable modem to
> get high speed Internet, but I don't need that high speed for faxes. It's

Why? Isn't 56k good enough for you? Snob. : ) Listen if it weren't for the
"got to have it" people, the very same people you spurn, you wouldn't have
your cable modem and a helluva a lot of other stuff you have. Demand sparks
innovation and tech progress. Even you should see that.

> called adapting
> to the available technology.

That's just it, Homer. The technology for what I want IS available. News
Flash: I'm sure someone will chime in here with the specifics, but
analog-to-digital conversion has been around for awhile. Heck, my camcorder
allows me to convert VHS(analog) tapes to AVIs(digital) via a passthrough
DV-IN cable and store them on my computer for editing and burning to DVD.
Now, damn it, if we can do THAT, then surely we can take an incoming fax
transmission and convert the analog signal to digital and send it to the
computer for viewing rather than having to read a "hardcopy". So, why don't
we have a fax that'll do this? Because not enough people are demanding it.
Not enough are asking for it. I'm trying to do my part. And you're trying
to, hmmm, well, who knows what you're trying to do.

>Some of us gave you, what I thought was a
> reasonable
> work around, but you appear to be a technology snob who wouldn't want to
violate

How could you possibly have a clue as to who or what I'm like from merely
reading my posts? Did I forget to include emoticons? Sorry. : )

> their machine by plugging in that ten year old stuff. I commend you
trying to
> protect
> your PC. By the way, if you have a mouse, you better get rid of that old
> technology
> and update to voice actuated input, just to be consistent.

Well, I did. I got rid of that "old" cord tech, by going optical
cordless(bet you don't have one of those, it's too snobbish to own one of
them). Not because I had to be a pioneer, but because it was practical and
affordable. BUT WAIT!! There's those new-fangled Touch Screens. Sorry to
disappoint you, but as cool as they may be, they're too damn expensive and
I'd have to be hunched over the screen the whole time to use it. Oh and
darn it, I'm still using a CRT instead of one of those trend setting LCD
screens. Why? Because I like my CRT and it's working fine.

> Sherwin D.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 22, 2004 7:57:45 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:50:16 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> found these
unused words floating about:

>"sherwindu" <sherwindu@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> 10 year old technology. What's wrong with that? You are a PC salesman's
>dream
>> who runs out and upgrades their machine, just to have the 'latest'
>technology.
>> You
>> already have a 3 in 1 machine. You are probably anxiously awaiting the 4
>in 1
>> so you
>> can see how many functions you can cram into one device.
>
>No, I don't upgrade everytime something new comes out. But certainly when
>new devices that I DO want do not work with current setups.
>Case in point: My mom needs a new printer. She has an "old" system. How
>many printers out there NOW have LPT ports in them? Huh? Lots you say? Oh,
>ok so I just get her a USB card, right? Now, what? Oh that's right, she's
>still only using Win95(the early one NOT the one with USB support). SO, now
>I should also get her Win98 or later, right? SHeesh. You just don't get it
>do you?

Yeah ... we get it ... BUTT
There's a huge difference between updating because NEW things don;t workl
with OLD system and refusing to use "old" technology just to be a yuppie!
November 23, 2004 1:05:31 AM

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:50:16 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> found these
> unused words floating about:
>

> >"sherwindu" <sherwindu@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> 10 year old technology. What's wrong with that? You are a PC
salesman's
> >dream
> >> who runs out and upgrades their machine, just to have the 'latest'
> >technology.
> >> You
> >> already have a 3 in 1 machine. You are probably anxiously awaiting the
4
> >in 1
> >> so you
> >> can see how many functions you can cram into one device.
> >
> >No, I don't upgrade everytime something new comes out. But certainly when
> >new devices that I DO want do not work with current setups.
> >Case in point: My mom needs a new printer. She has an "old" system.
How
> >many printers out there NOW have LPT ports in them? Huh? Lots you say?
Oh,
> >ok so I just get her a USB card, right? Now, what? Oh that's right, she's
> >still only using Win95(the early one NOT the one with USB support). SO,
now
> >I should also get her Win98 or later, right? SHeesh. You just don't get
it
> >do you?
> >
> Yeah ... we get it ... BUTT
> There's a huge difference between updating because NEW things don;t workl
> with OLD system and refusing to use "old" technology just to be a yuppie!

Well if there is, you don't know it.
November 23, 2004 5:15:35 AM

"Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message news:<cntje6$a4r$1@domitilla.aioe.org>...

> surely we can take an incoming fax
> transmission and convert the analog signal to digital and send it to the
> computer for viewing rather than having to read a "hardcopy". So, why don't
> we have a fax that'll do this? Because not enough people are demanding it.

Because you can do it using a fax modem, as everyone has being telling
you. When you get a combination machine, it rarely does everything all
the stand-alone devices would have.

Anyway, instead abusing people who have spent their time to try and
help you, why don't you bitch at the manufacturers of your machine.
Ask them for a service manual so you can solder a cable to get your
image data out.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 23, 2004 9:58:52 AM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:50:16 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:

>No, I don't upgrade everytime something new comes out. But certainly when
>new devices that I DO want do not work with current setups.
>Case in point: My mom needs a new printer. She has an "old" system. How
>many printers out there NOW have LPT ports in them? Huh? Lots you say?

There are many Epson Stylus ink jet printer that has a Centronics
port.

>Now, damn it, if we can do THAT, then surely we can take an incoming fax
>transmission and convert the analog signal to digital and send it to the
>computer for viewing rather than having to read a "hardcopy". So, why don't
>we have a fax that'll do this?

There is something like that already. For example, a fax/modem
connected to a PC and a software called Winfax running on the PC.
Incoming fax transmission are stored on the diskdrive that could be
view on the screen and printed if you so desire.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 23, 2004 12:34:50 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:05:31 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> found these
unused words floating about:

>"J. A. Mc." <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:50:16 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> found these
>> unused words floating about:
>>

>> >"sherwindu" <sherwindu@comcast.net> wrote in message
>salesman's
>> >dream
>> >technology.
>4
>> >in 1
>> >
>> >No, I don't upgrade everytime something new comes out. But certainly when
>> >new devices that I DO want do not work with current setups.
>> >Case in point: My mom needs a new printer. She has an "old" system.
>How
>> >many printers out there NOW have LPT ports in them? Huh? Lots you say?
>Oh,
>> >ok so I just get her a USB card, right? Now, what? Oh that's right, she's
>> >still only using Win95(the early one NOT the one with USB support). SO,
>now
>> >I should also get her Win98 or later, right? SHeesh. You just don't get
>it
>> >do you?
>> >
>> Yeah ... we get it ... BUTT
>> There's a huge difference between updating because NEW things don;t workl
>> with OLD system and refusing to use "old" technology just to be a yuppie!
>>

>Well if there is, you don't know it.

D'oh, then how come the statement?

Hey go waste your $$$ £££ €€€ or whatever and bite your nose off to spite
your face.

I'll use whatever is available to get a job done!

Yippiee Yuppie.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 23, 2004 12:36:18 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 06:58:52 -0500, Ototin <bangsit@balay.ca> found these
unused words floating about:

>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:50:16 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:
>
>>No, I don't upgrade everytime something new comes out. But certainly when
>>new devices that I DO want do not work with current setups.
>>Case in point: My mom needs a new printer. She has an "old" system. How
>>many printers out there NOW have LPT ports in them? Huh? Lots you say?
>
>There are many Epson Stylus ink jet printer that has a Centronics
>port.
>
>>Now, damn it, if we can do THAT, then surely we can take an incoming fax
>>transmission and convert the analog signal to digital and send it to the
>>computer for viewing rather than having to read a "hardcopy". So, why don't
>>we have a fax that'll do this?
>
>There is something like that already. For example, a fax/modem
>connected to a PC and a software called Winfax running on the PC.
>Incoming fax transmission are stored on the diskdrive that could be
>view on the screen and printed if you so desire.

I've given up on the ypuppie ... he'd rather fight than learn.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 23, 2004 4:18:41 PM

I'm reposting this as sender "Brackish Water" complains multiple attempts to
post via another service are not appearing on Usenet servers. Name of
service that failed to propagate post has been snipped. Apologies who end
up seeing it more than once! Re-post begins here:

Earlier attempts to post this did not seem to go through. Don't know why.

If you want to receive faxes on your computer, not on your separate fax
machine, without adding a separate faxmodem, there is a way you can do it.
It may even be free.

A service I use at www.efax.com provides free inbound-only fax service for
up to 20 fax pages per month. They provide you a dedicated 24 hr/7 da /365
day/year phone number, and their server converts each incoming fax into a
bitmap which it forwards to you as an email attachment. They also provide
free reader software you install on your computer to view or read print
these converted faxes.

If there is a catch (besides the limited number of faxes you can receive) it
is that your fax number will probably be in some faraway area code where
they have a special deal with the local phone company for cheap lines.
However, I have never yet had anyone refuse to fax me a document because my
fax number is long distance. And I like the fact that I can still receive
faxes when my computer is otherwise engaged, or turned off, all for free.
No, I do not work for efax nor get a commission or anything. If you upgrade
to certain of their paid services, you can get a dedicated local or
toll-free fax number.

If you want to receive more than 20 fax pages a month or send faxes via
their service, you can do so, but that moves you into a "pay for" service
category. At that point, you can evaluate with arithmetic whether it makes
more economic sense to buy the service, or reconsider maybe adding an
inexpensive faxmodem, whether internal or external, to your kit of tools.
Feel free to make your own decisions for your own reasons, I do not
understand the reluctance to buy an inexpensive older tech device if it will
solve a problem and make your life or business easier. There's a lot to be
said for lowest-common denominator solutions. Whatever, hope this helps.

There are other services like efax; just don't know a lot about them. There
may also be other hardware/software solutions. Maybe a little time Googling
will help track down what you need. Try searching on "fax2mail" for
starters.

There are definitely some ways to go. I am surprised that viewing faxes
stored in the "all in one" isn't a built-in feature (if you're sure it
isn't); but if the device works as advertised for the price you named, IMO
it is still a good, justifiable buy.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 23, 2004 4:28:53 PM

Just curious. If the main problem is that some of the prints are caught in
the paper feed and spoiled, can't you set your "all in one" device to save
stored faxes for manual deletion after print jobs? If so, then you could
reprint any which were damaged, and only delete after you have good prints.
This won't help if what you really want is to read on the monitor and not
print at all, though. For whatever that's worth.
November 23, 2004 7:15:59 PM

"Ototin" <bangsit@balay.ca> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:50:16 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:
>
> >No, I don't upgrade everytime something new comes out. But certainly when
> >new devices that I DO want do not work with current setups.
> >Case in point: My mom needs a new printer. She has an "old" system.
How
> >many printers out there NOW have LPT ports in them? Huh? Lots you say?
>
> There are many Epson Stylus ink jet printer that has a Centronics
> port.
>
> >Now, damn it, if we can do THAT, then surely we can take an incoming fax
> >transmission and convert the analog signal to digital and send it to the
> >computer for viewing rather than having to read a "hardcopy". So, why
don't
> >we have a fax that'll do this?
>
> There is something like that already. For example, a fax/modem
> connected to a PC and a software called Winfax running on the PC.
> Incoming fax transmission are stored on the diskdrive that could be
> view on the screen and printed if you so desire.

Yes, but that would require another purchase and this printer/fax would not
be part of that solution. I understand I COULD have bought an external Fax
modem. But I didn't. I need a workaround for what I have. I'm currently
looking into virtual port monitors that send what a printer would normally
print to a file saved as an image on the PC. I'm not running this for a
business, it's just a personal project. About ten years ago, I did have a
fax/modem and I did use WinFax Pro. But that required an EISA slot for the
modem and the software was, well, I guess it was okay for that time, but it
should have improved by now. I'd like Adobe PDF maker to open automatically
and convert the image into a pdf file. If I pursue this long enough, I'll
figure it out. And it won't involve an external modem in addition to my new
HP all-in-one. But thanks for the idea.
November 23, 2004 7:16:00 PM

> Yes, but that would require another purchase and this printer/fax would not
> be part of that solution. I understand I COULD have bought an external Fax
> modem. But I didn't. I need a workaround for what I have. I'm currently
> looking into virtual port monitors that send what a printer would normally
> print to a file saved as an image on the PC. I'm not running this for a
> business, it's just a personal project. About ten years ago, I did have a
> fax/modem and I did use WinFax Pro. But that required an EISA slot for the
> modem and the software was, well, I guess it was okay for that time, but it
> should have improved by now. I'd like Adobe PDF maker to open automatically
> and convert the image into a pdf file. If I pursue this long enough, I'll
> figure it out. And it won't involve an external modem in addition to my new
> HP all-in-one. But thanks for the idea.

I don't really understand your argument here about how the modem
and sw should have imroved by now. Are you using that as the reason
for not using a modem in your pc? Also you keep mentioning isa modems,
there are pci modems. You don't need to use a 10 year old modem. I bet
you could find a new pci modem for under $10 almost anywhere. And
like others have mentioned, there are usb modems as well.
Ok so you don't want to buy anything new. Well It seems like you
have something working with your virtual port monitor, i don't know
anything about them but good luck.
You just seem really determined to use what you have, which i can
appreciate, but it seems like you are gonna spend a lot of time on it and
most likely won't get what you want even.
So I would just set up your old pc as a print server. If you already
have an old computer in the garage or closet, why not set it up? It
won't cost you anything. You could put any os on it, use it as a print
server, file server, web server, etc, you could have the fax modem and
some newer fax software running and do quite easily what you want.
network your computers and run vnc or some other remote desktop sw so
you don't even need a monitor attached.
If might be a more worthwhile project then just forcing your all in one
to do something it wasn't designed to do.
November 23, 2004 7:25:10 PM

"Rememberbooks" <rememberbooks@erols.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> understand the reluctance to buy an inexpensive older tech device if it
will
> solve a problem and make your life or business easier. There's a lot to
be
> said for lowest-common denominator solutions. Whatever, hope this helps.
>
> There are other services like efax; just don't know a lot about them.
There
> may also be other hardware/software solutions. Maybe a little time
Googling
> will help track down what you need. Try searching on "fax2mail" for
> starters.
>
> There are definitely some ways to go. I am surprised that viewing faxes
> stored in the "all in one" isn't a built-in feature (if you're sure it
> isn't); but if the device works as advertised for the price you named, IMO

Yes, thanks, I have looked at eFax. I'm currently looking at virtual port
monitors. If I can somehow get the fax printer to print to a virtual port in
the way of a file and saved as an image, this fax output could then be
redirected to the pc. The fax machine will think it's printing but will
instead create a .tif file or a pdf file on the pc. I have had some success
so far. Alphatronics makes such a port monitor and when I directed the fax
printer to print a test page, a little image of the page popped up near the
task bar. Now I just have to figure out how to save this to file. Maybe I'll
try pooling a couple of printers(one being the fax and another being a
"print to file" port. That way, if the mechanical printer malfunctions or
runs out of ink, I'll still have an electronic copy saved on the pc. Still
experimenting.

Ron
November 23, 2004 8:40:00 PM

"chuck" <chuck@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, but that would require another purchase and this printer/fax would
not
> > be part of that solution. I understand I COULD have bought an external
Fax
> > modem. But I didn't. I need a workaround for what I have. I'm
currently
> > looking into virtual port monitors that send what a printer would
normally
> > print to a file saved as an image on the PC. I'm not running this for a
> > business, it's just a personal project. About ten years ago, I did have
> > fax/modem and I did use WinFax Pro. But that required an EISA slot for
the
> > modem and the software was, well, I guess it was okay for that time, but
it
> > should have improved by now. I'd like Adobe PDF maker to open
automatically
> > and convert the image into a pdf file. If I pursue this long enough,
I'll
> > figure it out. And it won't involve an external modem in addition to my
new
> > HP all-in-one. But thanks for the idea.
> >

> I don't really understand your argument here about how the modem
> and sw should have imroved by now. Are you using that as the reason
> for not using a modem in your pc? Also you keep mentioning isa modems,
> there are pci modems. You don't need to use a 10 year old modem. I bet
> you could find a new pci modem for under $10 almost anywhere. And
> like others have mentioned, there are usb modems as well.
> Ok so you don't want to buy anything new. Well It seems like you
> have something working with your virtual port monitor, i don't know
> anything about them but good luck.

No. It's not that at all. I have no pci slots available. I have all my USB
ports on my pc and even on my externally powered USB hub occupied. Even all
my FW ports are taken up. If I want to DL pictures from my cam, I have to
remove a USB cord just to do that. I have absolutely no desk space
whatsoever. In fact, the only ports not taken up on my system are a LPT port
and I think there's a serial port back there. So, even if I go the route of
an external modem, it would have to be serial and even then, I have no where
to put it. There has to be a software solution, and I will find it.

> You just seem really determined to use what you have, which i can
> appreciate, but it seems like you are gonna spend a lot of time on it and
> most likely won't get what you want even.
> So I would just set up your old pc as a print server. If you already
> have an old computer in the garage or closet, why not set it up? It
> won't cost you anything. You could put any os on it, use it as a print
> server, file server, web server, etc, you could have the fax modem and
> some newer fax software running and do quite easily what you want.
> network your computers and run vnc or some other remote desktop sw so
> you don't even need a monitor attached.
> If might be a more worthwhile project then just forcing your all in one
> to do something it wasn't designed to do.
November 24, 2004 1:00:46 AM

"Rememberbooks" <rememberbooks@erols.com> wrote in message news:<1101233392.2KkvU7xFsHVFzGcisRva8A@bubbanews>...

> A service I use at www.efax.com provides free inbound-only fax service

I mentioned that in my post a few days ago.

Type "fax" into Google and you find lots of similar services. I use
Efax because it's the only one with dial in numbers in Hong Kong,
where I live. I think some ISPs offer fax services free or at a small
premium. And while mentioning faxes, you can send free outgoing
email-to-fax to most places using www.tpc.int.
November 24, 2004 12:51:16 PM

"Alan" <7ibehx001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> "Rememberbooks" <rememberbooks@erols.com> wrote in message
>
> > A service I use at www.efax.com provides free inbound-only fax service
>
> I mentioned that in my post a few days ago.
>
> Type "fax" into Google and you find lots of similar services. I use
> Efax because it's the only one with dial in numbers in Hong Kong,
> where I live. I think some ISPs offer fax services free or at a small
> premium. And while mentioning faxes, you can send free outgoing
> email-to-fax to most places using www.tpc.int.

Yes, I saw your post, Alan. And I checked into it. Thanks for the tip.

Ron
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 24, 2004 3:04:03 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:13:14 -0000, Scott Mitchell
<nospam@this.domain.is.invalid> wrote:
> The HP support document at
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=351...
> seems to agree with me on this: "NOTE: Faxes can be sent from the
> computer but you cannot receive faxes to the computer. All faxes are
> printed as they are received.".

Obviously that link should have been:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=351...
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 25, 2004 9:57:56 AM

Sounds to me that your problem goes beyond the fax handling. Your computer
is maxed out with all the applications you are running. Sooner or later, you
will
have to deal with this problem over and over again, as you add more
applications.
I don't know your exact computer configuration, but there are cards available to

give you additional USB ports or PCI slots. I would say bite the bullet now and

get a more versatile computer ( or motherboard) to handle all this stuff you are

trying to do. The basic problem is not your faxing, it's your computer.

Sherwin D.

Ron wrote:

> [...]
> to put it. There has to be a software solution, and I will find it.
>
> > You just seem really determined to use what you have, which i can
> > appreciate, but it seems like you are gonna spend a lot of time on it and
> > most likely won't get what you want even.
> > So I would just set up your old pc as a print server. If you already
> > have an old computer in the garage or closet, why not set it up? It
> > won't cost you anything. You could put any os on it, use it as a print
> > server, file server, web server, etc, you could have the fax modem and
> > some newer fax software running and do quite easily what you want.
> > network your computers and run vnc or some other remote desktop sw so
> > you don't even need a monitor attached.
> > If might be a more worthwhile project then just forcing your all in one
> > to do something it wasn't designed to do.
December 1, 2004 7:25:14 PM

In message <1101808314.u5nLF0mm+B339fXmUBgvmA@teranews>, Clark Kent
<Superman@DailyPlanet.com> writes
>Just curious. If the main problem is that some of the prints are caught in
>the paper feed and spoiled, can't you set your "all in one" device to save
>stored faxes for manual deletion after print jobs? If so, then you could
>reprint any which were damaged, and only delete after you have good prints.
>This won't help if what you really want is to read on the monitor and not
>print at all, though. For whatever that's worth.

This is a useful facility as it saves you having to print out the junk
faxes that turn up, and make up most of the faxes that turn up.

--
!