Has anyone used Kingmax SD cards with their PDAs (esp. iPAQ)

September 13, 2004 9:41:09 PM

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experiences with Kingmax SD cards? Are they reliable -
they are substaintially cheaper than Lexar or Sandisk for the same amount of
memory - and the only difference I can see are that they seem to be one
piece construction with no write protect tab. Are there any
incompatibilities or long term data loss associated with no-name SD cards?

Is it a good deal? or do you get what you paid for?

Thanks.
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 3:32:03 AM

In article <Zto1d.3147$lb5.315769@news20.bellglobal.com>, William Cheng
@work says...
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone had any experiences with Kingmax SD cards? Are they reliable -
> they are substaintially cheaper than Lexar or Sandisk for the same amount of
> memory - and the only difference I can see are that they seem to be one
> piece construction with no write protect tab. Are there any
> incompatibilities or long term data loss associated with no-name SD cards?
>
> Is it a good deal? or do you get what you paid for?

I'm using a 512MB Kingston in mine. Write speed is a little slow but
the read speed is fine. Data loss hasn't been an issue.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 1:34:17 PM

Is Kingmax the same as Kingston?

The Kingmax 1Gb I was look at is rated at 60x - what does that mean in terms
of real world throughput? Is it like the Lexar Pro or Sandisk Ultras?

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <Zto1d.3147$lb5.315769@news20.bellglobal.com>, William Cheng
> @work says...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Has anyone had any experiences with Kingmax SD cards? Are they
reliable -
> > they are substaintially cheaper than Lexar or Sandisk for the same
amount of
> > memory - and the only difference I can see are that they seem to be one
> > piece construction with no write protect tab. Are there any
> > incompatibilities or long term data loss associated with no-name SD
cards?

> > Is it a good deal? or do you get what you paid for?
> >
> I'm using a 512MB Kingston in mine. Write speed is a little slow but
> the read speed is fine. Data loss hasn't been an issue.
>
> --
> Conor
>
> Opinions personal, facts suspect.
September 14, 2004 7:05:41 PM

It's a different name so unlikely to be the same make. Why not ask your
potential supplier?

If you are worried about compatibility why not ask your supplier? Ask them
about returns if it isn't suitable?

When memory cards first came out they had an access rate of 150 kb/s. 60X
claims to be 60 times faster than that rate, but you are probably not going
to reach those speeds- your pda probably won't be capable of it, and they
probably use some theoretical test method to transfer the data in the
fastest possible way that may not relate directly to real world conditions.
Again, why not email your supplier and ask?

If you email the supplier and hear nothing it may tell you something about
that companies service? If you do get a reply you should know the answers to
your questions from the people providing the product- if you have any
dispute after you can quote what you've been told.

"William Cheng @work" <wm_cheng_NOSPAM_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Is Kingmax the same as Kingston?
>
> The Kingmax 1Gb I was look at is rated at 60x - what does that mean in
terms
> of real world throughput? Is it like the Lexar Pro or Sandisk Ultras?
>

> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > In article <Zto1d.3147$lb5.315769@news20.bellglobal.com>, William Cheng
> > @work says...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Has anyone had any experiences with Kingmax SD cards? Are they
> reliable -
> > > they are substaintially cheaper than Lexar or Sandisk for the same
> amount of
> > > memory - and the only difference I can see are that they seem to be
one
> > > piece construction with no write protect tab. Are there any
> > > incompatibilities or long term data loss associated with no-name SD
> cards?
> > >
> > > Is it a good deal? or do you get what you paid for?
> > >
> > I'm using a 512MB Kingston in mine. Write speed is a little slow but
> > the read speed is fine. Data loss hasn't been an issue.
> >
> > --
> > Conor
> >
> > Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 12:23:26 AM

If that really is a 60X card, then yes,its in the range of a Lexar Pro or
Sandisk Ultra II card. The Ultra-II gives it a 9 megabytes (MB) per second
and a read speed of 10MB per second range (60X-66X) same as the SanDisk
Extreme SD cards. I use the
SanDisk 1024MB Ultra II CompactFlash in my Nikon D-70 6.1 MP Camera as it
needs the high speed cards for it's 3 frame per second speed. Especially if
using the 3,008 x 2,000-pixel images. And uses "Write Acceleration" (WA).
The Lexar cards you have to know exactly what card it is, most of the "Pro"
that also say "enabled for Pro" are 40X. The regular "Pro" is 80X. If you
look at the cards they are the same except for a red circle that is either
"40X" or "80X".

In my Ipaq 4355 I use the basic SanDisk 1024MB SD Card and not the Ultra
II series as it was hard to tell a difference in the regular or high speed
cards. Main difference was if you use a dedicated card reader. But some
people have said there is a large difference in some database applications,
they saw a big difference. For me opening or writing a 3 MB JPG or 5 MB
Pocket Streets map, the high speed seemed a tiny bit faster, but for me, not
worth the extra cost.

Kingston has two series of SD cards, the Secure Digital (SD) and the Elite
Pro Hi-Speed Secure Digital Card.
I have not found very much that has the same info on the cards, but it
sounds like the basic card is about 4X and the Hi-Speed about 60X

Kingmax Digital Taipei, Taiwan is not related to Kingston at all and it
seems the high speed SD is 66X (called Platinum series), I have never used
one, But they do get good reviews are prices are very good.

For comparison, the slow cards are roughly USB 1.1 speeds and the Pro are
close to USB 2.0. But if your PDA cannot handle the full speed of the Pro
type cards, there is no real reason for one in a PDA. On the other hand if
its a hi-speed camera there is a huge difference.

Hope this helps a little bit.!
Tedd

Tedd Riggs
PDA Square Content Developer
www.pdasquare.com
Redmond, WA

"William Cheng @work" <wm_cheng_NOSPAM_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Is Kingmax the same as Kingston?
>
> The Kingmax 1Gb I was look at is rated at 60x - what does that mean in
> terms
> of real world throughput? Is it like the Lexar Pro or Sandisk Ultras?
>

> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In article <Zto1d.3147$lb5.315769@news20.bellglobal.com>, William Cheng
>> @work says...
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Has anyone had any experiences with Kingmax SD cards? Are they
> reliable -
>> > they are substaintially cheaper than Lexar or Sandisk for the same
> amount of
>> > memory - and the only difference I can see are that they seem to be one
>> > piece construction with no write protect tab. Are there any
>> > incompatibilities or long term data loss associated with no-name SD
> cards?
>> >
>> > Is it a good deal? or do you get what you paid for?
>> >
>> I'm using a 512MB Kingston in mine. Write speed is a little slow but
>> the read speed is fine. Data loss hasn't been an issue.
>>
>> --
>> Conor
>>
>> Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 3:31:57 PM

Wow thank you so much Tedd,

Very informative. I own a iPAQ 1940 - how do I find out what its SD speed
is - its not in the manual or site specifications (at least that I saw).

Thanks,
Wm

"Tedd Riggs" <T_Riggs@msn.cöm> wrote in message
news:o 4KRgNtmEHA.512@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> Tedd
>

> Tedd Riggs
> PDA Square Content Developer
> www.pdasquare.com
> Redmond, WA
>

> "William Cheng @work" <wm_cheng_NOSPAM_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Is Kingmax the same as Kingston?
> >
> > The Kingmax 1Gb I was look at is rated at 60x - what does that mean in
> > terms
> > of real world throughput? Is it like the Lexar Pro or Sandisk Ultras?
> >

> > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> In article <Zto1d.3147$lb5.315769@news20.bellglobal.com>, William Cheng
> >> @work says...

> > reliable -
> > amount of
> > cards?

> >> I'm using a 512MB Kingston in mine. Write speed is a little slow but
> >> the read speed is fine. Data loss hasn't been an issue.

September 17, 2004 4:49:43 AM

> Has anyone had any experiences with Kingmax SD cards? Are they reliable -
> they are substaintially cheaper than Lexar or Sandisk for the same amount
of
> memory - and the only difference I can see are that they seem to be one
> piece construction with no write protect tab. Are there any
> incompatibilities or long term data loss associated with no-name SD cards?
>
> Is it a good deal? or do you get what you paid for?

i have kingmax sd 256 platinum (red) and sandisk ultraII 256 - i dont see
difference!

i using ipaq4150............
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 8:04:01 AM

Hi
I have been using a Kingmax 256Mb to store my TomTom maps
on my Ipaq 2210 for about 10 months without any hasles
cheers

Anonymous
September 17, 2004 1:53:32 PM

SM,
In looking at the specs, I would think those two would be about the
same. But here (Seattle, WA) I have never seen the Kingmax for sale. Most
common ones are Sandisk, PNY, Kingston and Lexar's.

--

!