Password

Barry

Hi
Wonder if someone can advise please.

Just done a format and re-install of windows 95 OSR2b.

All is working well apart from when windows boots up the
pop up for windows password comes up,I do recall setting it
up during installation and if I enter password all is well.

If I just click cancel windows boots up ok and all is fine *until*
I launch internet explorer and then I have to type in my dial-up
password (not the same as password on boot up) and the
remember password tick box is greyed out so you cannot save it.

**IF** I do enter password on windows boot-up then launch IE
connect box comes up with dial-in password already filled in as should be
and ticked to save.How can I stop windows asking for a password as
when I used this comp a while back I did not have this problem.

Many thanks

Barry.

If it ain't broke-don't fix it.

[some snipped]

> All is working well apart from when windows boots up the
> pop up for windows password comes up,I do recall setting it
> up during installation and if I enter password all is well.
>
> If I just click cancel windows boots up ok and all is fine *until*
> I launch internet explorer and then I have to type in my dial-up
> password (not the same as password on boot up) and the
> remember password tick box is greyed out so you cannot save it.
>
> **IF** I do enter password on windows boot-up then launch IE
> connect box comes up with dial-in password already filled in as should be
> and ticked to save.How can I stop windows asking for a password as
> when I used this comp a while back I did not have this problem.

1. Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network, select 'Windows Logon' as the
default logon method (no need to reboot at this step)

2. Delete all the files that end in .pwl.

3. Reboot, do _not_ enter a password when you reboot (and confirm the
password with an empty box).

Future reboots will not ask for a password.

Barry

"Kay Archer" <kayhyphenarcher@mail.com> wrote in message
> [some snipped]
> 1. Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network, select 'Windows Logon' as the
> default logon method (no need to reboot at this step)
>
> 2. Delete all the files that end in .pwl.
>
> 3. Reboot, do _not_ enter a password when you reboot (and confirm the
> password with an empty box).
>
> Future reboots will not ask for a password.
Many thanks for the reply Kay,I assume do a file seach for all pwl files ??

Barry.

If it ain't broke-don't fix it.

"barry" <barry@sykes99.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Kay Archer" <kayhyphenarcher@mail.com> wrote in message
> > [some snipped]
> > 1. Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network, select 'Windows Logon' as
the
> > default logon method (no need to reboot at this step)
> >
> > 2. Delete all the files that end in .pwl.
> >
> > 3. Reboot, do _not_ enter a password when you reboot (and confirm the
> > password with an empty box).
> >
> > Future reboots will not ask for a password.
> Many thanks for the reply Kay,I assume do a file seach for all pwl files
??

Correct

>> Many thanks for the reply Kay,I assume do a file seach for all pwl files

> Correct

Many thanks Kay.

Barry.

If it ain't broke-don't fix it.