crossfire/SLi

sneakmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
lately i have been interested in crossfire but looking at the 3 latest crossfire motherboards im pretty dissapointed. im pretty new to this and i was wondering would crossfire work in a sli motherboard? it doesnt use the chip it uses two dvi cables so i dont see why it wouldnt work (unless of course im forgetting something like crossfire software that only comes on those 3 motherboards im still new to this and just want this question answered)

Baer

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Crossfire seems to have been hurried. It appears to be a less mature solution than SLI. For example, I run two monitors for general work (graphicd design, writing, analisys Etc) and the latest ATI drivers and especially crossfife give me far fewer options when running multiple monitors. When gaming I use one monitor and all I have seen is that if you want to use two GPU's SLI is the better solution. After all, 3DFx invented it and NVIDIA bought them.
I have nothing against ATI and I have an ATI solution in one of my computers but right now, today, if you want the most compatable and trouble free multiple GPU solution as well as the better MOBO options I would go SLI.
I will bet that both companies will have anouncements in a few weeks right around E-3.

RichPLS

Champion
Whatever it seems, it was not hurried... As the debut was pushed back a couple of times.

I have the Asus A8R32-MVP, but only a single X1800XT, and I have nothing but highly positive commnets running an Opteron 175 at 2.64GHz @ 39C and 64C on the X1800XT.

Baer

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Just because they delayed it does not mean it was not hurried.
Do you run two monitors using different settings with differing applications open on that card with its present drivers? I have not been able to do that with ATI.
All I said was that for me, ATI is a poor choice and in general Crossfire seems to be inferior to SLI at this point.
I am way too old to be a fan boy for anything. If ATI catches up and goes ahead, and I mean on more things than a few benchmarks in selected games I will never play, than I will go back to them.
This thread asked for opinions and I gave mine based on experience and interviews with both companies.

RichPLS

Champion
I have for several years run dual monitors at different resolutions and refresh rates with a X800XT PE and now a X1800XT using a LCD 2405FPW and a Viewsonic CRT 19".
I have a TV Wonder elite and have TV on one, other or both, AutoCAD in one window, text in other, along with TV window, and office apps.

Baer

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Well good for you, I have been unable to get decient results with ATI drivers doing that. I get flicker, I get stoped video and I get partial blank out when an App spans both monitors (Samsung 24" and 20: LCDs) but I am glad it is working out for you.

RichPLS

Champion
At this moment I am watching a small screen view on main LCD, while posting on IE 7 res of 1920x1200 - 60hz, and the Viewsonic CRT is displaying a full screen TV set to translucent through-view desktop with Outlook open full screen in the foreground at 1024x768 - 85hz

Farrwalker

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
lately i have been interested in crossfire but looking at the 3 latest crossfire motherboards im pretty dissapointed. im pretty new to this and i was wondering would crossfire work in a sli motherboard? it doesnt use the chip it uses two dvi cables so i dont see why it wouldnt work (unless of course im forgetting something like crossfire software that only comes on those 3 motherboards im still new to this and just want this question answered)

SLI and Crossfire are mutually exclusive technologies.

Two ATI Crossfire graphics cards will not function in a SLI motherboard.

Another possible consideration in choosing between Crossfire versus SLI is that Crossfire uses a bit more wattage when comparing comparable level graphics cards.

davidflet9

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
using the ati solution will also allow you to use HDR and AA nvidia wont, xfire will not work on a SLI mobo you will need an intel 975x chipset or one of the ati chipsets

Fox_granit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I've seen no need to do a Crossfire or SLI. Thought about it yes, but it makes no sense do to the cost and the benifits recieved for that cost. Hence the reason i went with a 7600 gt.

mafiafish

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
asrock make a board which will take either technology if you going to go for the dual gfx platform make sur you get a chipset which supports both graphics cards in x16 mode and if your getting crossfire i would wait as the 3200 chipset has lots of potential but need to be equiped on a decent motherboard that allows it to work fully if you cant wait id get a nvidia chipset which supporst both cards in x16 mode