Sign in with
Your question

Sata and power cable hot plugable?

Last response: in Storage
January 29, 2006 7:54:05 AM

Hi,

I have a MSI K8T NEO-FIS2R Motherboard (socket 754)With only 2 sata connections.

I have one hard disk with windows on and 2 hard disk with simple data (video, audio,...)
While windows is running, can i plug out the sata cable from the first data hard disk? and also plug out the power cable from the first data disk?
And then still when windows is running, plug in the sata cable and power cable in the second data hard disk?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 29, 2006 8:01:45 AM

If you want to fry something go ahead and exchange cables on a running machine. You NEVER do that.
February 1, 2006 1:27:41 AM

I know it can be done with nforce4 chipset, but I don't know about nforce3. Does your drives shouw up as removable storage devices in the system tray? If yes, then you may hot plug them. But I don't remember about my nforce3 motherboard being able to do that
Related resources
February 1, 2006 1:31:37 AM

make sure you safely remove hardware first. but really, why would you want to pull out your hard drive while it's running anyways.
February 1, 2006 1:39:03 AM

Quote:
make sure you safely remove hardware first. but really, why would you want to pull out your hard drive while it's running anyways.

let say you have a critical apps that cannot be stopped and your RAID 1 array show up one drive as being bad.. You simply remove the device, put a new one, rebuild the array without stopping anything. While this is not something that typical users will do, some may need this kind of feature and the chipset make it available. It is part of the SATA(II) standard.

But one day, my friend was downloading a big file or update and I simply plugged in my drive, downloaded some update, unpluged it and get back home with some update I needed..

But now, I have USB2.0 enclosure and reused some older drive to move data across computer.

So, I don't say that everybody need it, but is is possible. Some people still think they have a problem with their board because the sata drives shows as removable devices...
July 13, 2009 10:54:46 PM

varissle said:
Hi,

I have a MSI K8T NEO-FIS2R Motherboard (socket 754)With only 2 sata connections.

I have one hard disk with windows on and 2 hard disk with simple data (video, audio,...)
While windows is running, can i plug out the sata cable from the first data hard disk? and also plug out the power cable from the first data disk?
And then still when windows is running, plug in the sata cable and power cable in the second data hard disk?

NO NO NO NO NO NO.... I DID THIS AND IT RUINED THREE DRIVES... IT WAS A REMARKABLE FEAT OF STUPIDITY.

Western digital says to install caviar sata drives is to leave the power cord into the computer but the power supply button off... if you don't do this and just turn it off with the front power button you still have juice running through the machine... your usb stuff is ignited i know this for sure. Just reach behind and turn of the power supply... grab the metal case and don't touch the board on the drive.
!