game errors

I bought a windows 95 computer for my granddaughter to play games on. When I
try to download a game I get an memory error or a not enough color error. Can
you help me? And can I clean the system up? Thanks

You have to be carefull about an application's minimum hardware
requirements when you install them on a machine that old. Some
applications utilize the hard drive as part of the "memory" and will
complain if there is insufficient free space there. In a few cases the
presence of other applications running in the background will utilize a
small specialized memory block that does not expand with the addition of
more memory strips, leaving an insufficient supply of that special block
available for your application.

Sometimes you will need to have the original operating system
installation media and product key from the operating system's
Certificate of Authenticity. Some problems are the result of some
corrupted file that would take longer to track down than clearing the
hard drive and starting over. It's a BAD idea to remove Windows software
you no longer want by deleting files with Windows Explorer. A properly
designed Windows application will leave a removal link in the control
panel's "Add / Remove Programs" list or the start button's program menu.
a few will have a removal program on the installation media (CD or floppy)

Many games currently on the market will not work on computers running
Microsoft DOS or earlier versions of Windows. Some DOS programs are
unable to work on a computer running newer versions of Windows, and will
only run on earlier versions (like Windows 95) with some special
settings in their shortcut and or the Windows startup files.

Video cards and other peripherals sometimes need drivers that you will
need to reinstall from CD, floppy or download from the manufacturer's
web site. Many games are unable to run with the standard VGA made, and
need the manufacturer specific Super VGA mode drivers. Some older games
may complain about too many colors available and require temporaily
setting the display's color depth to 256 colors.

If you provide more specific information about your computer and the
games you are attempting to install someone familiar with the particular
game may be better able to assist you. We will need to know your CPU
model, main RAM quantity, hard disk capacity (and free space) and video
card model or chipset. We will also need to know the game names and each
game's operating system, memory, hard disk and video recomendations.

ecke wrote:
> I bought a windows 95 computer for my granddaughter to play games on. When I
> try to download a game I get an memory error or a not enough color error. Can
> you help me? And can I clean the system up? Thanks

TRENDING THREADS