X1900XT or X1900XTX?

lordroddington

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
i think the xtx is only for pure bragging rights - you will see little performance benefit going from the xt to the xtx. also, if you put it in crossfire, the master card only runs at xt speeds anyways. i think the xtx would be a bit of a waste of money, unless you're dying to have the very best.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
No doubt, go for the XT. It's on average only 3-5fps slower than the XTX - and it's identical to the XTX. $100 gets you a guarantee for the higher clock speeds. And who complains about 95fps as opposed to 92FPS in FEAR?

I got a XTX, but not because I wanted to : The company that shipped my card made a boo boo - I ordered a XT :twisted:

ShaunO

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
So if you can overclock an X1900XT to an X1900XTX with ease. Shouldn't you then be able to overclock an X1900XTX to an X1900XTXX, you'll be the hottest on the block because everyone went with the XT clocking to XTX when you clocked your XTX to XTXX ;)

smapty

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Does the xtx have faster memory, by that I mean the nano second speed.Or are they completely the same in every way other than just clock speeds.

RichPLS

Champion
Why would sum1 want to overclock a XT to XTX level? You score 3fps avg... Just my view.

The XT is a great card at default, and the extra 3fps doesn't warrant the risk.

The ATI X1800/1900 drivers come with a built in driver overdrive feature which lets you overclock based on internal tests that allow overclocking based on temperature.
Anyway, it is very safe and does not endanger your GPU or warranty.

So I say, overclock full bore full time, my X1800XT runs at 700/1600MHz verses stock at 625/1500MHz and it makes you feel good knowing you got much better value for your money spent, plus it is fun.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
My apologies RichPLS, I never knew that your warantee covered the Overdrive function. Just for interest sakes ; can they check if you overclocked your card and let's say something blew/went but wasn't the gpu?

RichPLS

Champion
It depends, in extreme cases I am sure they could if they desired to, or if you are not aware of clearing the BIOS before sending in, but generally, NO.

PC parts are a commodity, and generally, the industry does not try to repair them, just grabs another off the assembly line since it is more efficient use of resources.
I mean one hour of tech service trying to repair a card runs the company anywhere from $75 to $125 per hour, so it is better spent doing more productive tasks.
Sure the do a quick diagnostic on them, and if working may relabel it for refurbished, but I do not envision them isolating the bad mem chip or GPU and replacing it to resale as refurb.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Overdrive here I come! :lol:

I just asked because my previous card was a X1800XL, and an IC blew on the backside (of all places) and quite a nice little flame was going on in my case. I was using Overdrive and at the time was under the impression that Overdrive would void my warantee. So here I was, thinking that ATi will bust me on this... :lol: :lol: