DATA ERROR READING DRIVE C

Hi, when i start up my computer, the computers reads the amount of memory
that i have and starts to run windows 95, butb then i get the following error:

DATA ERROR READING DRIVE C

abort, retry, ignore.

Why has this happened? and what choices do i have to recover my work. i have
a windows 95 start up disk at hand.

I am working in a network, so is it best to ghost the hard drive?

regards and thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about data error reading drive

    You had disk drive has suffered a read failure. the problem might be slight
    or it might be significant - you need to get some hard disk drive diagnostic
    software from the www site of the hard disk drive manufacturer and run the
    diagnostics to get an idea of what the problem is and what options exist for
    repairing it. It could range from a displaced cable to a corroded connector
    to a failed drive.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, when i start up my computer, the computers reads the amount of memory
    > that i have and starts to run windows 95, butb then i get the following
    > error:
    >
    > DATA ERROR READING DRIVE C
    >
    > abort, retry, ignore.
    >
    > Why has this happened? and what choices do i have to recover my work. i
    > have
    > a windows 95 start up disk at hand.
    >
    > I am working in a network, so is it best to ghost the hard drive?
    >
    > regards and thanks in advance.

    Abort, Retry, Ignore?

    This may be caused by a defective sector or an incomplete file. ScanDisk
    might patch it, but if the hard drive has too many Bad sectors or files, it
    will take too long and the drive motor might wear out, rendering it
    unusable.

    "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > You had disk drive has suffered a read failure. the problem might be
    slight
    > or it might be significant - you need to get some hard disk drive
    diagnostic
    > software from the www site of the hard disk drive manufacturer and run the
    > diagnostics to get an idea of what the problem is and what options exist
    for
    > repairing it. It could range from a displaced cable to a corroded
    connector
    > to a failed drive.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, when i start up my computer, the computers reads the amount of
    memory
    > > that i have and starts to run windows 95, butb then i get the following
    > > error:
    > >
    > > DATA ERROR READING DRIVE C
    > >
    > > abort, retry, ignore.
    > >
    > > Why has this happened? and what choices do i have to recover my work. i
    > > have
    > > a windows 95 start up disk at hand.
    > >
    > > I am working in a network, so is it best to ghost the hard drive?
    > >
    > > regards and thanks in advance.

    ---

Windows 95 Windows