DATA ERROR READING DRIVE C

Hi, when i start up my computer, the computers reads the amount of memory
that i have and starts to run windows 95, butb then i get the following error:

DATA ERROR READING DRIVE C

abort, retry, ignore.

Why has this happened? and what choices do i have to recover my work. i have
a windows 95 start up disk at hand.

I am working in a network, so is it best to ghost the hard drive?

regards and thanks in advance.

You had disk drive has suffered a read failure. the problem might be slight
or it might be significant - you need to get some hard disk drive diagnostic
software from the www site of the hard disk drive manufacturer and run the
diagnostics to get an idea of what the problem is and what options exist for
repairing it. It could range from a displaced cable to a corroded connector
to a failed drive.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, when i start up my computer, the computers reads the amount of memory
> that i have and starts to run windows 95, butb then i get the following
> error:
>
> DATA ERROR READING DRIVE C
>
> abort, retry, ignore.
>
> Why has this happened? and what choices do i have to recover my work. i
> have
> a windows 95 start up disk at hand.
>
> I am working in a network, so is it best to ghost the hard drive?
>
> regards and thanks in advance.

Abort, Retry, Ignore?

This may be caused by a defective sector or an incomplete file. ScanDisk
might patch it, but if the hard drive has too many Bad sectors or files, it
will take too long and the drive motor might wear out, rendering it
unusable.

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> You had disk drive has suffered a read failure. the problem might be
slight
> or it might be significant - you need to get some hard disk drive
diagnostic
> software from the www site of the hard disk drive manufacturer and run the
> diagnostics to get an idea of what the problem is and what options exist
for
> repairing it. It could range from a displaced cable to a corroded
connector
> to a failed drive.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, when i start up my computer, the computers reads the amount of
memory
> > that i have and starts to run windows 95, butb then i get the following
> > error:
> >
> > DATA ERROR READING DRIVE C
> >
> > abort, retry, ignore.
> >
> > Why has this happened? and what choices do i have to recover my work. i
> > have
> > a windows 95 start up disk at hand.
> >
> > I am working in a network, so is it best to ghost the hard drive?
> >
> > regards and thanks in advance.

---