The Japanese Mind Is Not The American Mind

NiteMonq

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2005
This post is in regards to the "Why is Nintendo Ignoring American Men?" article.

I have to say that I saw this article as a bit of a shot at the Japanese market. Now please understand that I am not Japanese, nor American. I just think that seeing as though they are the ones who created the Nintendo Gamecube and a majority of the games to suit, shouldn't they be concentrating initially on there own country? Not everyone out there is born to make something for YOU. How about taking this type of issue to an American software company and getting them to create some sort of game in relevance to the adult community.

Please note that I am not having a shot at any body, I am just stating the way I had taken the article.

i think the article was saying that they should try to open their products up more to an open market than the normal kiddie style games they have...

I work therefore I am conservative.
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Psychotic Sociopath.}=-</A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I don't read the articles. I only look at the pictures.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
The title could have been better stated as: Why is Nintendo such a pussy? They're missing a large market, American Men.

Something along those lines. You're right to an extent...I don't think that because we're "America" we deserve special treatment...but I've gotta think that Nintendo is out to make money...and if they're missing the biggest market (in terms of credit/money)in the World, then it seems like it's an ok thing to harp on. I'm ok with them being a 'G'(child-proof) rated company, i just think they're missing a big market.

Current machines running F@H:
Athlons: [64 3500+][64 3000+][2500+][2000+][1.3x1][366]
Pentiums: [X 3.0][P4 2.4x5][P4 1.4]

It's not worth saying unless it takes a really long time to say!

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
That is what is great about Nintendo! They have built their gaming empire without the use of sex or blood. Parents can feel safe when allowing their children to choose from the games that they present to the public. If sex and blood is used to sell a video game. Then the game really sucks! Nintendo is built on classics that they created and the public embraces. There is no reason for them to change their current business model becuase its working great.

Auburn9698

Champion
Somebody tell blowjobpatrick how to quote.

<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange> 13-0!
<font color=red>#8 FOREVAH!!!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Way to go buddy! Thanks for ruining a perfectly good thread!

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

hellcatjr

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
No way at all, that's not proper biz work at all... Infact if EVERYTHING were done as such, no one would have anything... including our shoes.. (sorry child labor would stay in its own country! lol j/k) but ya get what i mean. An no this has been something nintendo NEEDS TO FIX. Or else they will suffer the same , exact defeat that sega did all those years back. TBH, wait an see, once the PSP drops... the Gameboy DS is history.. only the fan boys will remain, as they did with the N64, and we see how well that went over.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8187265" target="_new">Veni, vidi, vici."</A>
<font color=red>"Alea Iacta Est"</font color=red>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
even pac man runs around in darkened rooms with repetetive electronic music, while munching on magic pills.

Nintendo has pac-man right??

Nintendo doesn't ignore a large market... it simply caters to a different one.

Besides, they aren't all 'kiddie' games. Resident Evil 4 is hardly a G-rated game. Metroid Prime, while not terribly bloody and violent, appeals to a wide audience. Hell, I love the Zelda games... and Mario Party is a blast when you've got some friends over. Just because a game is G-rated, doesn't mean it can't be fun for adults as well as children. It isn't all about blood and guts, you know.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Nintendo doesn't ignore a large market... it simply caters to a different one.

Besides, they aren't all 'kiddie' games. Resident Evil 4 is hardly a G-rated game. Metroid Prime, while not terribly bloody and violent, appeals to a wide audience. Hell, I love the Zelda games... and Mario Party is a blast when you've got some friends over. Just because a game is G-rated, doesn't mean it can't be fun for adults as well as children. It isn't all about blood and guts, you know.
You're right and wrong: while they may be catering to a different market, they are by deffinition ignoring the first market in discussion. If there is a market share (and in this case a rather large one) that wants the gore, then they ARE pushing themselves out of that market share by not catering to it.
This in itself may be enough to seriously damage their company's ability to compete with the other game companies.
So, YES, they are ignoring a large market.
so sorry for the lengthy post. :smile:

PLEASE NOTE: Some quantum physics theories suggest that when the consumer is not directly observing this product, it may cease to exist or will exist only in a vague and undetermined state.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
I disagree with the ignore market thing...however that said...

I've enjoyed games that are on Nintendo too (4 those in the know...up up down down left right left right b a start)...but for the most part, you can get similar games for the other consoles and still get your blood and guts too.

Current machines running F@H:
Athlons: [64 3500+][64 3000+][2500+][2000+][1.3x1][366]
Pentiums: [X 3.0][P4 2.4x5][P4 1.4]

It's not worth saying unless it takes a really long time to say!