Sign in with
Your question

The Japanese Mind Is Not The American Mind

Last response: in Video Games
February 15, 2005 5:23:29 AM

This post is in regards to the "Why is Nintendo Ignoring American Men?" article.

I have to say that I saw this article as a bit of a shot at the Japanese market. Now please understand that I am not Japanese, nor American. I just think that seeing as though they are the ones who created the Nintendo Gamecube and a majority of the games to suit, shouldn't they be concentrating initially on there own country? Not everyone out there is born to make something for YOU. How about taking this type of issue to an American software company and getting them to create some sort of game in relevance to the adult community.

Please note that I am not having a shot at any body, I am just stating the way I had taken the article.
February 15, 2005 12:03:29 PM

i think the article was saying that they should try to open their products up more to an open market than the normal kiddie style games they have...

I work therefore I am conservative.
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Psychotic Sociopath.}=-</A>
February 15, 2005 12:47:40 PM

I don't read the articles. I only look at the pictures.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA
Related resources
February 15, 2005 3:45:50 PM

lol

this is my boomstick!
February 24, 2005 7:49:18 PM

The title could have been better stated as: Why is Nintendo such a pussy? They're missing a large market, American Men.

Something along those lines. You're right to an extent...I don't think that because we're "America" we deserve special treatment...but I've gotta think that Nintendo is out to make money...and if they're missing the biggest market (in terms of credit/money)in the World, then it seems like it's an ok thing to harp on. I'm ok with them being a 'G'(child-proof) rated company, i just think they're missing a big market.

Current machines running F@H:
Athlons: [64 3500+][64 3000+][2500+][2000+][1.3x1][366]
Pentiums: [X 3.0][P4 2.4x5][P4 1.4]

It's not worth saying unless it takes a really long time to say!
February 24, 2005 8:15:22 PM

That is what is great about Nintendo! They have built their gaming empire without the use of sex or blood. Parents can feel safe when allowing their children to choose from the games that they present to the public. If sex and blood is used to sell a video game. Then the game really sucks! Nintendo is built on classics that they created and the public embraces. There is no reason for them to change their current business model becuase its working great.
February 24, 2005 9:42:02 PM

everyone knows the mario bros is about drugs...

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Psychotic Sociopath.}=-</A>
February 25, 2005 12:16:29 AM

That was Scooby Doo. Get it straight.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA
February 25, 2005 12:33:58 AM

the whole game revolves around you trying to eat mushrooms, come on...

February 25, 2005 9:36:33 AM

Quote:
the whole game revolves around you trying to eat mushrooms, come on...

No, I believe that your brain revolves around eating mushrooms !
February 25, 2005 2:59:35 PM

Somebody tell blowjobpatrick how to quote.

<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange> 13-0!
<font color=red>#8 FOREVAH!!!</font color=red>
February 25, 2005 6:34:03 PM

Way to go buddy! Thanks for ruining a perfectly good thread!

February 27, 2005 8:04:48 AM

No way at all, that's not proper biz work at all... Infact if EVERYTHING were done as such, no one would have anything... including our shoes.. (sorry child labor would stay in its own country! lol j/k) but ya get what i mean. An no this has been something nintendo NEEDS TO FIX. Or else they will suffer the same , exact defeat that sega did all those years back. TBH, wait an see, once the PSP drops... the Gameboy DS is history.. only the fan boys will remain, as they did with the N64, and we see how well that went over.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8187265" target="_new">Veni, vidi, vici."</A>
<font color=red>"Alea Iacta Est"</font color=red>
March 2, 2005 3:54:08 AM

even pac man runs around in darkened rooms with repetetive electronic music, while munching on magic pills.

Nintendo has pac-man right??

March 2, 2005 4:26:33 AM

sure i think so, if not why not roms, they rock...

March 2, 2005 7:39:58 PM

Nintendo doesn't ignore a large market... it simply caters to a different one.

Besides, they aren't all 'kiddie' games. Resident Evil 4 is hardly a G-rated game. Metroid Prime, while not terribly bloody and violent, appeals to a wide audience. Hell, I love the Zelda games... and Mario Party is a blast when you've got some friends over. Just because a game is G-rated, doesn't mean it can't be fun for adults as well as children. It isn't all about blood and guts, you know.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
March 2, 2005 7:41:07 PM

Well said Zoron!
March 2, 2005 8:02:26 PM

Quote:
It isn't all about blood and guts, you know.

*drools*

its not?

March 2, 2005 10:08:53 PM

Hey! STFU!

<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange> 13-0!
<font color=red>#8 FOREVAH!!!</font color=red>
March 2, 2005 11:55:30 PM

Quote:
Nintendo doesn't ignore a large market... it simply caters to a different one.

Besides, they aren't all 'kiddie' games. Resident Evil 4 is hardly a G-rated game. Metroid Prime, while not terribly bloody and violent, appeals to a wide audience. Hell, I love the Zelda games... and Mario Party is a blast when you've got some friends over. Just because a game is G-rated, doesn't mean it can't be fun for adults as well as children. It isn't all about blood and guts, you know.

You're right and wrong: while they may be catering to a different market, they are by deffinition ignoring the first market in discussion. If there is a market share (and in this case a rather large one) that wants the gore, then they ARE pushing themselves out of that market share by not catering to it.
This in itself may be enough to seriously damage their company's ability to compete with the other game companies.
So, YES, they are ignoring a large market.
so sorry for the lengthy post. :smile:

PLEASE NOTE: Some quantum physics theories suggest that when the consumer is not directly observing this product, it may cease to exist or will exist only in a vague and undetermined state.
March 3, 2005 12:01:04 AM

i think serious sam just came out for the nintendo as well.

March 3, 2005 4:17:05 PM

I disagree with the ignore market thing...however that said...

I've enjoyed games that are on Nintendo too (4 those in the know...up up down down left right left right b a start)...but for the most part, you can get similar games for the other consoles and still get your blood and guts too.

Current machines running F@H:
Athlons: [64 3500+][64 3000+][2500+][2000+][1.3x1][366]
Pentiums: [X 3.0][P4 2.4x5][P4 1.4]

It's not worth saying unless it takes a really long time to say!
March 3, 2005 5:39:58 PM

Again, I point to Resident Evil. Not a kid's game. People like to crap on Nintendo because of Mario... it's not a fair stereotype. There are games for older audiences on the Gamecube... I know because I own one.

Yes, there are the kid's games, but if people would get out of the freakin' mindset that Nintendo is strictly for kids (which it's NOT), then Nintendo would be moving as many units as Sony.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
March 3, 2005 10:04:01 PM

There really should be more games with lots of nudity AND violence.

"What I am, I am an alchemist....I take money and turn it into kaka." --Mike Tyson
March 3, 2005 10:28:13 PM

yeah like "blood sucking vampiress' lesbians attack the earth"

March 3, 2005 11:37:19 PM

Oohh, I like that idea.

"What I am, I am an alchemist....I take money and turn it into kaka." --Mike Tyson
March 3, 2005 11:45:14 PM

its a win-win situation.

<pre>guaranteed its gets stolen within a year from this date</pre><p>I work therefore I am conservative.
March 30, 2005 4:00:25 AM

I can see what you mean, though I think the writer of this article needs to be a lot less 'direct' with his opinion. I do agree that it would be good if there were a lot less 'kiddie' games as such for the GameCube, but I will also say that those games are what the GameCube is known for. Not so much always 'kiddie' games, but also party-style games. The main reason I bought a GameCube (Being an owner of both a PS2 and Xbox aswell) is due to the fact that there were a lot more party-style games that I could play with friends. It was also a lot more compact to be able to carry around; beside the point. Generally a lot of the Japanese public is pulled to the type of games released there, otherwise they would not be producing a majority of the games they are, and selling them. Also if the adult American public are strongly into getting a higher volume of above 'G' rated games, then something like that should be taken to an American Games Creator (Not sure of how else to put that). Such as Ubisoft or something to take on a GameCube contract. I generally would have to think that there is where the problem lies. I mean, how far into this article did the writer really look? Or did he see an opening for an opinion to put on the net.
March 30, 2005 4:33:04 AM

I also noticed in the article the following sentence:

"They may not realize that there are many adults out there now who grew up with Nintendo, and still want to connect with the company that was associated so strongly with video gaming in their youth."

I can sort of see a bit of contradiction here. It's saying (in my aspect) that they want to connect with the new consoles, in a gaming perspective, as they did with the games when the player was younger. Why don't they play some of the new Mario games? Generally from my research that is the main series of gamecube games that really pulled players towards the Nintendo. And if you somehow want to 'connect' with the past by bringing newer games out to suit, how are they going to mix 'Old fashioned Mario' with 'Playboy: The Mansion'? Personally, I don't think there should be a big change, if any at all to what games Nintendo are now bringing out. They have lasted this long with the style they have used, and have entertained many people across the globe with what they produce. And in the long run, it would take a lot of advertising and money to try and convert people from PS2/Xbox over to GameCube by saying "Hey, we have a whole bunch of shoot'em up games now! Buy me!" I don't think that would take them too far. Nintendo pretty much hold the entire market for their style and range of games. Why risk losing money, when they are still making a fortune on what they do?
March 30, 2005 4:40:23 AM

Videogames seem to have the violence down pat, but why haven't they caught onto the nudity? I bet there's a huge market for violent videogames with nudity.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
March 30, 2005 4:42:31 AM

I agree totally.

Take BMW for example. If BMW manufactured cars for the US then they'd look like Dodge Vipers. Fact is BMW made these cars for European roads not straight ahead-wake-me-up-when-we-get-there expressways like the States. Ditto on Nintendo.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=120067" target="_new">My System</A>
March 30, 2005 4:58:57 AM

I'm thinking more along the lines of replacing those screaming bomb heads in Serious Sam with drunk naked sorority chicks.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
March 30, 2005 12:20:36 PM

I would just like to say that I agree with you, Nitemonq.

The impression I get from this guy's article is that he doesn't want to buy a product that isn't directed entirely at the mature American man, which seems rather narrow-minded. Personally, I love Nintendo. I've owned every Nintendo console apart from the DS (which I'm considering buying) and have never had a problem with how their products are advertised... In fact, I don't recall seeing a single advertisement (on TV at least) since the NES, when I was about 6 years old. That doesn't affect my opinion of them, or my decision to buy their products. I go by game reviews (in magazines that I know, or online) and comments from friends. While I admit that it's nice to take a trip down memory lane from time to time in a new game, I like the new and exciting things that they bring out too. If I want to relive my childhood, I replay the games FROM my childhood.

Nintendo's still raking in the big bucks, which means they're doing something right.

I might be taking it the wrong way, but hey, I have as much right to express my opinion as this guy does...
March 30, 2005 8:41:30 PM

yea, and instead of bombs in their hands they are holding bottles of booze lol.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>
March 30, 2005 9:15:19 PM

i was just reading this post and everyone has a valid point. i don't think nintendo is stupid, they have been around far too long. if they don't wan't to make sex and blood games well thats a shame cause i sure enjoy them.

and as apesoccer hinted, they need a new contra game.
March 31, 2005 3:55:20 AM

In Counter-Strike 1.5 where it was still running under Valve there was a skinpack for the hostages. They had only panties and stockings on. If you looked close enough you could see bush. That was nice. I'm not sure who she was modelled from but that was a nice touch.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=120067" target="_new">My System</A>
March 31, 2005 9:37:04 AM

Be good if we could keep it relevant.
March 31, 2005 11:10:34 PM

hows this for relevant...
i think the american mind likes bush more than the japanese mind. and im not talking about the president.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>
March 31, 2005 11:11:28 PM

gta is not on game cube, NOT for adults.

April 1, 2005 4:12:25 PM

But it is on the PC... so if I actually wanted to play it... I could.

:tongue:

April 1, 2005 4:39:27 PM

yea but its not on the game cube, thats my point, wich you seem to have missed.

April 4, 2005 9:19:34 PM

Perhaps they have a deal exclusively with Sony? Just like you'll see Mario only on Nintendo, perhaps you'll only see GTA on Sony. If that's the case, then it's a poor example to try and make your point. There are three or four Resident Evil games on GC, a multitude of sports games and plenty of games that should appeal to both children and adults.

I'm not a fan of GTA... so to me, it's not a reason to buy a PS / PS2 / PSP.

May 3, 2005 5:14:36 PM

I think you'll find that the goal is to actually save the princess not eat mushrooms... ;-)

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2800 Barton, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, Hercules 9800Pro 128Mb. :cool:
May 3, 2005 5:29:40 PM

Well said Zoron - Games can be hugely fun without Sniper rifles, Ultrakills, decapitations, swearing etc etc...you get my drift. Super monkey ball, Mario Party, Zelda to name but a mere few of the obvious choices.

***Games are about fun, you can have it by rolling a monkey around in a ball and by shooting your friend through the eye from half a mile away with a sniper rifle in far-cry...if its fun its fun. I'm glad Ninty are still making games like this and not bowing to the trend - Just Imaging how boring the world would be without their games!

DS kicks PSP's @ss as far as innovation and gameplay goes but alas I must admit its defeat is likely. As per usual Nintendo, simply dont have enough games out there to make it an exciting investment, PSP has better graphics yes but there is no fun to be had in playing sequels and "portable" versions of PS2 games (GT4 mobile being the exception)
- Sorry seemed to have digressed somewhat

GAMBARE MR NINTENDO SAMA!

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2800 Barton, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, Hercules 9800Pro 128Mb. :cool:
!