Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Remove unwanted wireless users

Last response: in Mac Os X
July 31, 2012 9:18:40 PM

I have six unwanted users on my wifi network. Don't know them. Don't want them. How do I (step-by-step) remove them and how do I set up my IMac with Airport Extreme to prevent reoccurence?
a b 8 Security
July 31, 2012 9:25:57 PM

First off, what makes you think there are six unwanted users on your wifi network? No offense, but that should be a much tougher technical feat than changing/establishing an encryption key on your router.
m
l
July 31, 2012 9:31:53 PM

cl-scott said:
First off, what makes you think there are six unwanted users on your wifi network? No offense, but that should be a much tougher technical feat than changing/establishing an encryption key on your router.

In selecting the "fan" icon at the top of my screen I am rewarded with the info that my wifi is "on." My network name appears below that info. Immediately below my network name are the names of six additional people. I wish to remove those names and stop any unauthorized use of my network. I also wish to set my Mac up to prevent repetitions of this problem. I am not a computer expert and ask for your advice and assistance. Thank you for your prompt response to my question.
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2012 9:54:58 PM

you can probably just set up a password protected wireless service and it will effectively block them from accessing the spot unless they knew how to hack
m
l

Best solution

July 31, 2012 10:04:42 PM

if its below your network name, its probably other networks in your area, rather than users logging onto your network. is your network protected? that would probably be the first thing to check
a b 8 Security
August 1, 2012 12:33:52 AM

Just purely for your edification, the "fan" is supposed to be a depiction of a wireless signal.

But what you are seeing are other wireless networks within range of your iMac, not people connected to your network. There is no way you will be able to remove those listings. Those listings are harmless, and you can ignore them with impunity.
m
l
August 1, 2012 2:54:49 AM

bruferg said:
I have six unwanted users on my wifi network. Don't know them. Don't want them. How do I (step-by-step) remove them and how do I set up my IMac with Airport Extreme to prevent reoccurence?
Ask your ISP for help.
m
l
August 1, 2012 3:01:54 AM

what router brand are you using? you can simply set a password to your wifi connection. It will block all those "unwanted" users as well as block other future unwanted users.

Here's a simple guide in doing that:

http://www.techiechips.com/password-protect-wireless-wi...

this article features those for linksys, other brands use a different url and interface as usual.
m
l
a b F Wireless
August 1, 2012 3:26:00 AM

adding this if you see under your wireless settingthere should be a place that you permit the mac address you want to restrict acces to your router to all the other that under wi-fi setting in linksys
m
l
August 1, 2012 1:15:07 PM

daswilhelm said:
if its below your network name, its probably other networks in your area, rather than users logging onto your network. is your network protected? that would probably be the first thing to check

You're right. It's other users, therefore, no threat to my system. Don't know if my system is protected. How to check? I have Airport Extreme.
m
l
August 1, 2012 7:33:59 PM

airport extreme? contact apple care...
m
l
August 1, 2012 8:15:40 PM

Thanks to all. It's great to have so many people willing to help a writer is not an electronics whiz. Grateful to all.
m
l
August 1, 2012 9:33:50 PM

you can also google "airport extreme wep key setup"
m
l
August 8, 2012 8:50:55 PM

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. It's amazing how smart some people are. I'm OK now, thanks to you. If I ever learn anything about this machine, I'll be pleased to share. Until then I'll remain in awe of those capable of leading people like myself out of the morass of ineptitude.
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:32:04 PM

Best answer selected by bruferg.
m
l
!