[SOLVED] Remove unwanted wireless users

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruferg

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I have six unwanted users on my wifi network. Don't know them. Don't want them. How do I (step-by-step) remove them and how do I set up my IMac with Airport Extreme to prevent reoccurence?

Solution
if its below your network name, its probably other networks in your area, rather than users logging onto your network. is your network protected? that would probably be the first thing to check

bruferg

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

In selecting the "fan" icon at the top of my screen I am rewarded with the info that my wifi is "on." My network name appears below that info. Immediately below my network name are the names of six additional people. I wish to remove those names and stop any unauthorized use of my network. I also wish to set my Mac up to prevent repetitions of this problem. I am not a computer expert and ask for your advice and assistance. Thank you for your prompt response to my question.

cl-scott

Honorable
Just purely for your edification, the "fan" is supposed to be a depiction of a wireless signal.

But what you are seeing are other wireless networks within range of your iMac, not people connected to your network. There is no way you will be able to remove those listings. Those listings are harmless, and you can ignore them with impunity.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Ask your ISP for help.

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
what router brand are you using? you can simply set a password to your wifi connection. It will block all those "unwanted" users as well as block other future unwanted users.

Here's a simple guide in doing that:

http://www.techiechips.com/password-protect-wireless-wi-fi-router/

this article features those for linksys, other brands use a different url and interface as usual.

bruferg

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

You're right. It's other users, therefore, no threat to my system. Don't know if my system is protected. How to check? I have Airport Extreme.

bruferg

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. It's amazing how smart some people are. I'm OK now, thanks to you. If I ever learn anything about this machine, I'll be pleased to share. Until then I'll remain in awe of those capable of leading people like myself out of the morass of ineptitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS