W95 IE Problem

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have w95 and it comes loaded with IE 3.0
When the browser is opened we get a pop up that says 'cannot find the
internet site' or something like that. I was wondering if this browser
is non-functional because it is out of date. The network interface card
installed fine. In system properties and network connections all looks
fine. Sorry for another challenge guys. Am I posting this in the correct
forum and if not can someone direct me to the proper forum? Thank
you...Bryan

Good to know that your Network Interface Card is properly installed and
running fine. Having non functional devices is not good. This however
has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with your problem unless you are
accessing the net through a network or LAN.

When the browser opens it may open to an invalid address or "Home Page".
Go in the address bar and type or copy: http://www.yahoo.com/ or:
http://www.google.com/ IF the browser refuses the address then there is
something definitely not right with IE.

IE3 should still work but it is severely out of date. Many pages will
not open with IE3. You should at least have IE4 and even then that is
still completely out of date. IE6 is not a good candidate or plainly
just doesn't work with W95. You are best with IE5 or IE5.5. IE5 is or
may be less problematic than IE5.5 for W95 but IE5.5 is more capable
when properly installed. You should also look into the Mozilla breed of
browsers. Earlier and alternate browsers and versions are available at
evolt.org.

John

bryan wrote:

> I have w95 and it comes loaded with IE 3.0
> When the browser is opened we get a pop up that says 'cannot find the
> internet site' or something like that. I was wondering if this browser
> is non-functional because it is out of date. The network interface card
> installed fine. In system properties and network connections all looks
> fine. Sorry for another challenge guys. Am I posting this in the correct
> forum and if not can someone direct me to the proper forum? Thank
> you...Bryan

Well, a good start. But if you are going to use Netscape it should be
at least 4.76 and nothing above unless you decide to go 7.x. Everything
between 4.76 and 7.0 is full of bugs. And I am not sure how well 7.0
will work with W95. And...7.0 is full of bugs too, but minor ones
compared to the leap. And 4.76 cannot open a pile of pages, hence the
need for 7.x or later. Then Netscape died. It is now Firefox.

John

Andreware@J30AD.org wrote:

> Yes, IE3 always crashes my computer. I recommened Netscape Gold 3.04
> (I'm using it right now!) as it is the best.
>
> ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/english/3.04/windows/windows95_or_nt/navigator_gold/g32d304p.exe
>
> Or if you use dial-up
>
> ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/english/3.04/windows/windows95_or_nt/navigator_gold/g32d304.exe
>
> Andrew Wilcox
>
> John John wrote:
>
>>Good to know that your Network Interface Card is properly installed and
>>running fine. Having non functional devices is not good. This however
>>has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with your problem unless you are
>>accessing the net through a network or LAN.
>>
>>When the browser opens it may open to an invalid address or "Home Page".
>> Go in the address bar and type or copy: http://www.yahoo.com/ or:
>>http://www.google.com/ IF the browser refuses the address then there is
>>something definitely not right with IE.
>>
>>IE3 should still work but it is severely out of date. Many pages will
>>not open with IE3. You should at least have IE4 and even then that is
>>still completely out of date. IE6 is not a good candidate or plainly
>>just doesn't work with W95. You are best with IE5 or IE5.5. IE5 is or
>>may be less problematic than IE5.5 for W95 but IE5.5 is more capable
>>when properly installed. You should also look into the Mozilla breed of
>>browsers. Earlier and alternate browsers and versions are available at
>>evolt.org.
>>
>>John
>>
>>bryan wrote:
>>

>>>I have w95 and it comes loaded with IE 3.0
>>>When the browser is opened we get a pop up that says 'cannot find the
>>>internet site' or something like that. I was wondering if this browser
>>>is non-functional because it is out of date. The network interface card
>>>installed fine. In system properties and network connections all looks
>>>fine. Sorry for another challenge guys. Am I posting this in the correct
>>>forum and if not can someone direct me to the proper forum? Thank
>>>you...Bryan

Firefox works very well with Win95, though it does require a faster processor and
more RAM than the old versions of Netscape did.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Well, a good start. But if you are going to use Netscape it should be
> at least 4.76 and nothing above unless you decide to go 7.x. Everything
> between 4.76 and 7.0 is full of bugs. And I am not sure how well 7.0
> will work with W95. And...7.0 is full of bugs too, but minor ones
> compared to the leap. And 4.76 cannot open a pile of pages, hence the
> need for 7.x or later. Then Netscape died. It is now Firefox.
>
> John
>
> Andreware@J30AD.org wrote:
>
> > Yes, IE3 always crashes my computer. I recommened Netscape Gold 3.04
> > (I'm using it right now!) as it is the best.

ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/english/3.04/windows/windows95_or_nt/navigat
or_gold/g32d304p.exe

> > Or if you use dial-up

ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/english/3.04/windows/windows95_or_nt/navigat
or_gold/g32d304.exe

> > Andrew Wilcox
> >
> > John John wrote:
> >
> >>Good to know that your Network Interface Card is properly installed and
> >>running fine. Having non functional devices is not good. This however
> >>has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with your problem unless you are
> >>accessing the net through a network or LAN.
> >>
> >>When the browser opens it may open to an invalid address or "Home Page".
> >> Go in the address bar and type or copy: http://www.yahoo.com/ or:
> >>http://www.google.com/ IF the browser refuses the address then there is
> >>something definitely not right with IE.
> >>
> >>IE3 should still work but it is severely out of date. Many pages will
> >>not open with IE3. You should at least have IE4 and even then that is
> >>still completely out of date. IE6 is not a good candidate or plainly
> >>just doesn't work with W95. You are best with IE5 or IE5.5. IE5 is or
> >>may be less problematic than IE5.5 for W95 but IE5.5 is more capable
> >>when properly installed. You should also look into the Mozilla breed of
> >>browsers. Earlier and alternate browsers and versions are available at
> >>evolt.org.
> >>
> >>John

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In control panel there is no Internet Options. Is that unusual? I did
however access Internet Options from the browser tool menus and set a
working home page. This did not eliminate the "cannot find site" pop up.
I believe I have to configure the nic more and or it may not be
installed correctly. Thank you....Bryan

Andreware@J30AD.org wrote:

> bryan wrote:
>
>>I have w95 and it comes loaded with IE 3.0
>>When the browser is opened we get a pop up that says 'cannot find the
>>internet site' or something like that. I was wondering if this browser
>>is non-functional because it is out of date. The network interface card
>>installed fine. In system properties and network connections all looks
>>fine. Sorry for another challenge guys. Am I posting this in the correct
>>forum and if not can someone direct me to the proper forum? Thank
>>you...Bryan
>>
> You are totally fine - "General Discussion" means anything goes. The
> error 'Cannot open internet site http://' means that the browser could
> not find a website with that address. When reinstalled my Compaq
> Presario 4712 defaults to the homepage 'http://www.es.compaq.com' which
> doesn't exist anymore - just set the Internet options in the Control
> Panel under the Navigation tab to a web site that exists (like
> http://www.MSN.com or something) and you'll be set!
>
> Glad to see you got your NIC problem fixed (I've been going through
> these newsgroups tonight!)
>
> Andrew Wilcox

IE3 does not have the "Internet Options" control panel....it is just called
"Internet"
I strongly suggest you get a more up-to-date browser. What speed processor do you
have, and how much RAM?