install updated chipset driver help

JustBrad

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I hope this not a repeat post from me. The first time I think I goofed!

Can anybody tell me, in plain English, how to install Intel 875P chipset drivers after download. The read me text on Intel's website has me confused. I downloaded the drivers useing their exe option. Now it sits on my desktop. Twice I have opened it and did what the installation wizard said to do. However when I check properties in device manager it still shows the old drivers. Am I supposed to move it from the dektop to a floppy and then install from the floppy? If so will I need to install to a specific place? What would that place be? Intel's website mentions alot about paths and different flag options.

When asked if I wanted to open or save the download I selected open assuming that the update would just happen. It appeared to be working and said to restart for the changes to take effect. As mentioned already, in Device Manager the old driver version still shows. When I search for the file it shows up on the desktop and twice in my documents

Any help is greatly appreciated
Brad

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Since you downloaded from Intel, I will assume you have an Intel MB.

Generally after download the the file needs to be un-zipped. Some files are self extracting (*.exe). Then if you look through the folder, there should be an installer (setup.exe, install.exe). Just run it.

If you are doing a bios. There are several different ways. By floopy (w and w/o updater), over internet.

JustBrad

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Since you downloaded from Intel, I will assume you have an Intel MB.

Generally after download the the file needs to be un-zipped. Some files are self extracting (*.exe). Then if you look through the folder, there should be an installer (setup.exe, install.exe). Just run it.

If you are doing a bios. There are several different ways. By floopy (w and w/o updater), over internet.

Its an ASUS MB with Intel 875P chipset. I went to Intel because I could no longer find my MB on the Asus site-less than 1 year old. It is a P4C800E-Deluxe board. Intel offers two downloads, one an .exe, the other is a zip file. I downloaded the .exe, downloaded it, opened it and when asked, ran it. Thats where I'm confused, Device Manager still shows the old version drivers. I wish I knew how difficult this was going to be beforehand. Oh well, live and learn
Thanks

Where does one find the folder you mention? I have it on my desktop and if I right click and then open it starts to install. This I did already, twice in fact so now it is in my documents twice. I imaging iif I let it run again it will be in my documents again. The file name is "infinst_autol.exe" without quotes. Sound like it should be self extracting. Dont I need to put it into thw windows driver somehow?