Zip utility

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
November 18, 2004 1:10:30 AM

Howdy,
I need to get a zip utility so I can download my files and upgrade to Win98.
Can anyone recommend a trustworthy site for Winzip 7.0 or another zip
utility? I couldn't find an old version of Winzip at their site and can't
use the new one (good for Win98 or higher).

thanks
buglady
take out the dog before replying

More about : zip utility

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 1:10:31 AM

Try www.winzip.com

You'll find 9 there

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"buglady" <buglady99@bigfootdog.com> wrote in message
> Howdy,
> I need to get a zip utility so I can download my files and upgrade to
Win98.
> Can anyone recommend a trustworthy site for Winzip 7.0 or another zip
> utility? I couldn't find an old version of Winzip at their site and can't
> use the new one (good for Win98 or higher).
>
> thanks
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 1:10:31 AM

buglady <buglady99@bigfootdog.com> wrote in message news:q%Pmd.2273$Qh3.2233@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Howdy,
> I need to get a zip utility so I can download my files and upgrade to Win98.
> Can anyone recommend a trustworthy site for Winzip 7.0 or another zip
> utility? I couldn't find an old version of Winzip at their site and can't
> use the new one (good for Win98 or higher).

http://www.oldversion.com/

Specifically

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winzip
November 18, 2004 4:54:15 AM

"Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
> Try www.winzip.com
>
> You'll find 9 there

.........thanks, but I didn't find any old versions at their website and
Winzip 9.0 is for Win98 and higher.

buglady
take out the dog before replying
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 9:35:52 PM

Winzip 9 runs fine on Windows 95b, for those who are wondering.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:54:15 GMT, "buglady" <buglady99@bigfootdog.com> wrote:

>"Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
>> Try www.winzip.com
>>
>> You'll find 9 there
>
>........thanks, but I didn't find any old versions at their website and
>Winzip 9.0 is for Win98 and higher.
>
>buglady
>take out the dog before replying

Anonymous
November 20, 2004 4:40:03 PM

"Downtown Mikester" <I'm@home.now> wrote in message
> Winzip 9 runs fine on Windows 95b, for those who are wondering.

...........really? How come the site says Win98 and higher?
buglady
take out the dog before replying
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 7:59:45 PM

It means that the software is not tested or supported in Windows 95, but not
necessarily that it won't install and work.

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:40:03 GMT, "buglady" <buglady99@bigfootdog.com> wrote:

>"Downtown Mikester" <I'm@home.now> wrote in message
>> Winzip 9 runs fine on Windows 95b, for those who are wondering.
>
>..........really? How come the site says Win98 and higher?
>buglady
>take out the dog before replying

November 22, 2004 2:57:01 AM

buglady wrote:

> Howdy,
> I need to get a zip utility so I can download my files and upgrade to Win98.
> Can anyone recommend a trustworthy site for Winzip 7.0 or another zip
> utility? I couldn't find an old version of Winzip at their site and can't
> use the new one (good for Win98 or higher).
>
> thanks
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

Winzip 9 runs fine on my Win95a machine with Visual C++ 6 runtime
upgrade files installed.

However, a better option for compression/decompression utility is
winrar. It's available at:
http://www.win-rar.com/index.php

--
Rob

£¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤£
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 2:36:19 PM

"Rob" <rrowens@earthling.net.au> wrote in message
> Winzip 9 runs fine on my Win95a machine with Visual C++ 6 runtime
> upgrade files installed.
>
> However, a better option for compression/decompression utility is
> winrar. It's available at:
> http://www.win-rar.com/index.php

.........why do you consider it better?

buglady
take out the dog before replying
November 22, 2004 9:18:07 PM

buglady wrote:

> "Rob" <rrowens@earthling.net.au> wrote in message
> > Winzip 9 runs fine on my Win95a machine with Visual C++ 6 runtime
> > upgrade files installed.
> >
> > However, a better option for compression/decompression utility is
> > winrar. It's available at:
> > http://www.win-rar.com/index.php
>
> ........why do you consider it better?

Because it compresses archives better, has a smaller footprint than
Winzip 9, provides complete support for RAR and ZIP archives and is also
able to unpack CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, Z and
7-Zip archives.

A link providing complete, detailed comparison between them is provided
at the URL listed above.

--
Rob

£¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤£
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 4:31:26 AM

> Because it compresses archives better, has a smaller footprint than
> Winzip 9, provides complete support for RAR and ZIP archives and is also
> able to unpack CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, Z and
> 7-Zip archives.
................yeah, I read that from the site, assuming smaller footprint
means it makes smaller files?, but I don't have the faintest idea what all
those files extensions mean except for cab, uue and zip and why it would be
more useful to me.

Thanks
buglady
take out the dog before replying