Zip utility

Howdy,
I need to get a zip utility so I can download my files and upgrade to Win98.
Can anyone recommend a trustworthy site for Winzip 7.0 or another zip
utility? I couldn't find an old version of Winzip at their site and can't
use the new one (good for Win98 or higher).

thanks
buglady
take out the dog before replying
12 answers Last reply
More about utility

    Try www.winzip.com

    You'll find 9 there

    --
    Jon Hildrum
    DTS MVP
    "buglady" <buglady99@bigfootdog.com> wrote in message
    > Howdy,
    > I need to get a zip utility so I can download my files and upgrade to
    Win98.
    > Can anyone recommend a trustworthy site for Winzip 7.0 or another zip
    > utility? I couldn't find an old version of Winzip at their site and can't
    > use the new one (good for Win98 or higher).
    >
    > thanks
    > buglady
    > take out the dog before replying

    buglady <buglady99@bigfootdog.com> wrote in message news:q%Pmd.2273$Qh3.2233@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > Howdy,
    > I need to get a zip utility so I can download my files and upgrade to Win98.
    > Can anyone recommend a trustworthy site for Winzip 7.0 or another zip
    > utility? I couldn't find an old version of Winzip at their site and can't
    > use the new one (good for Win98 or higher).

    http://www.oldversion.com/

    Specifically

    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winzip
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
    > Try www.winzip.com
    >
    > You'll find 9 there

    .........thanks, but I didn't find any old versions at their website and
    Winzip 9.0 is for Win98 and higher.

    buglady
    take out the dog before replying
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Hugh Candlin" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.oldversion.com/
    >
    > Specifically
    >
    > http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winzip

    ..........thanks so much! a great site to bookmark.

    buglady
    take out the dog before replying
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Winzip 9 runs fine on Windows 95b, for those who are wondering.

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:54:15 GMT, "buglady" <buglady99@bigfootdog.com> wrote:

    >"Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
    >> Try www.winzip.com
    >>
    >> You'll find 9 there
    >
    >........thanks, but I didn't find any old versions at their website and
    >Winzip 9.0 is for Win98 and higher.
    >
    >buglady
    >take out the dog before replying

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Downtown Mikester" <I'm@home.now> wrote in message
    > Winzip 9 runs fine on Windows 95b, for those who are wondering.

    ...........really? How come the site says Win98 and higher?
    buglady
    take out the dog before replying
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    It means that the software is not tested or supported in Windows 95, but not
    necessarily that it won't install and work.

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:40:03 GMT, "buglady" <buglady99@bigfootdog.com> wrote:

    >"Downtown Mikester" <I'm@home.now> wrote in message
    >> Winzip 9 runs fine on Windows 95b, for those who are wondering.
    >
    >..........really? How come the site says Win98 and higher?
    >buglady
    >take out the dog before replying

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    buglady wrote:

    > Howdy,
    > I need to get a zip utility so I can download my files and upgrade to Win98.
    > Can anyone recommend a trustworthy site for Winzip 7.0 or another zip
    > utility? I couldn't find an old version of Winzip at their site and can't
    > use the new one (good for Win98 or higher).
    >
    > thanks
    > buglady
    > take out the dog before replying

    Winzip 9 runs fine on my Win95a machine with Visual C++ 6 runtime
    upgrade files installed.

    However, a better option for compression/decompression utility is
    winrar. It's available at:
    http://www.win-rar.com/index.php

    --
    Rob

    £¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤£
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Rob" <rrowens@earthling.net.au> wrote in message
    > Winzip 9 runs fine on my Win95a machine with Visual C++ 6 runtime
    > upgrade files installed.
    >
    > However, a better option for compression/decompression utility is
    > winrar. It's available at:
    > http://www.win-rar.com/index.php

    .........why do you consider it better?

    buglady
    take out the dog before replying
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    buglady wrote:

    > "Rob" <rrowens@earthling.net.au> wrote in message
    > > Winzip 9 runs fine on my Win95a machine with Visual C++ 6 runtime
    > > upgrade files installed.
    > >
    > > However, a better option for compression/decompression utility is
    > > winrar. It's available at:
    > > http://www.win-rar.com/index.php
    >
    > ........why do you consider it better?

    Because it compresses archives better, has a smaller footprint than
    Winzip 9, provides complete support for RAR and ZIP archives and is also
    able to unpack CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, Z and
    7-Zip archives.

    A link providing complete, detailed comparison between them is provided
    at the URL listed above.

    --
    Rob

    £¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤£
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > Because it compresses archives better, has a smaller footprint than
    > Winzip 9, provides complete support for RAR and ZIP archives and is also
    > able to unpack CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, Z and
    > 7-Zip archives.
    ................yeah, I read that from the site, assuming smaller footprint
    means it makes smaller files?, but I don't have the faintest idea what all
    those files extensions mean except for cab, uue and zip and why it would be
    more useful to me.

    Thanks
    buglady
    take out the dog before replying
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    www.oldversion.com

    "buglady" <buglady99@bigfootdog.com> wrote in message
    > Howdy,
    > I need to get a zip utility so I can download my files and upgrade to
    Win98.
    > Can anyone recommend a trustworthy site for Winzip 7.0 or another zip
    > utility? I couldn't find an old version of Winzip at their site and can't
    > use the new one (good for Win98 or higher).
    >
    > thanks
    > buglady
    > take out the dog before replying

Winzip Microsoft Zip Windows