Equivalent hosts file location

hi,

how/where do i setup the lmhost /host file equivalent in Windows 95..

We are doing an NT4 server inplace upgrade to W2K3, but we have some Windows
95 worksations which fail to open outlook because they are unable to ping
the server by netbios name....this occurs after we add a proposed dns entry
in the dns tab....

Win95 cannot resolve netbios server name if this entry is in, but we must be
able to have that entry there because dhcp will hand it out to our XP
clients....

how can i resolve ....urgent

Thanks Ray
6 answers Last reply
More about equivalent hosts file location

    <Ray> wrote in message news:%23v2U4KXzEHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > hi,
    >
    > how/where do i setup the lmhost /host file equivalent in Windows 95..
    >
    > We are doing an NT4 server inplace upgrade to W2K3, but we have some
    > Windows 95 worksations which fail to open outlook because they are unable
    > to ping the server by netbios name....this occurs after we add a proposed
    > dns entry in the dns tab....
    >
    > Win95 cannot resolve netbios server name if this entry is in, but we must
    > be able to have that entry there because dhcp will hand it out to our XP
    > clients....
    >
    > how can i resolve ....urgent
    >
    > Thanks Ray

    did you also specify the NT4 as gateway on the win95 boxes ?

    no....the default gateway was specified as a genuine firewall onsite.

    It work if i set it to the firewall, but only as a test......

    any ideas

    "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

    > <Ray> wrote in message news:%23v2U4KXzEHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> how/where do i setup the lmhost /host file equivalent in Windows 95..
    >>
    >> We are doing an NT4 server inplace upgrade to W2K3, but we have some
    >> Windows 95 worksations which fail to open outlook because they are unable
    >> to ping the server by netbios name....this occurs after we add a proposed
    >> dns entry in the dns tab....
    >>
    >> Win95 cannot resolve netbios server name if this entry is in, but we must
    >> be able to have that entry there because dhcp will hand it out to our XP
    >> clients....
    >>
    >> how can i resolve ....urgent
    >>
    >> Thanks Ray
    >>

    > did you also specify the NT4 as gateway on the win95 boxes ?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    <Ray> wrote in message news:O4EolAYzEHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > no....the default gateway was specified as a genuine firewall onsite.
    >
    > It work if i set it to the firewall, but only as a test......
    >
    > any ideas
    >
    > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <Ray> wrote in message news:%23v2U4KXzEHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >>> hi,
    >>>
    >>> how/where do i setup the lmhost /host file equivalent in Windows 95..
    >>>
    >>> We are doing an NT4 server inplace upgrade to W2K3, but we have some
    >>> Windows 95 worksations which fail to open outlook because they are
    >>> unable to ping the server by netbios name....this occurs after we add a
    >>> proposed dns entry in the dns tab....
    >>>
    >>> Win95 cannot resolve netbios server name if this entry is in, but we
    >>> must be able to have that entry there because dhcp will hand it out to
    >>> our XP clients....
    >>>
    >>> how can i resolve ....urgent
    >>>
    >>> Thanks Ray
    >>>

    >> did you also specify the NT4 as gateway on the win95 boxes ?

    you are using a firewall as gateway? then which machine is your DHCP server
    ?

    try changing your gateway to point at the DHCP server's IP

    (sorry if my replies are spotty ...trying to think about your setup and is a
    little busy where i am)
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    I only pointed it to the firewall/default gateway becuase i knew it had dns
    on it and would resolve...as atest.

    Other than that address i do not currently have dns here, but will implement
    during AD install...

    The problem is ...pointing the win95 client to the potential dns on the AD
    box, causes it to fail any netbios resolution....cannot ping servers, but ok
    when i take it out

    > <Ray> wrote in message news:O4EolAYzEHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> no....the default gateway was specified as a genuine firewall onsite.
    >>
    >> It work if i set it to the firewall, but only as a test......
    >>
    >> any ideas
    >>
    >> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> did you also specify the NT4 as gateway on the win95 boxes ?
    >>>

    > you are using a firewall as gateway? then which machine is your DHCP
    > server ?
    >
    > try changing your gateway to point at the DHCP server's IP
    >
    > (sorry if my replies are spotty ...trying to think about your setup and is
    > a little busy where i am)

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    <Ray> wrote in message news:%23mtgDkYzEHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >I only pointed it to the firewall/default gateway becuase i knew it had dns
    >on it and would resolve...as atest.

    so resolution works with a proper DNS....good

    > Other than that address i do not currently have dns here, but will
    > implement during AD install...

    so you don't have a DNS setup yet ?

    > The problem is ...pointing the win95 client to the potential dns on the AD
    > box, causes it to fail any netbios resolution....cannot ping servers, but
    > ok when i take it out

    as stated above(not quite clear on the "potential" dns , it is either there
    or not) ...DNS not setup yet ...complete your AD setup and then try your dns
    functionailty on the win95 box...
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > hi,
    >
    > how/where do i setup the lmhost /host file equivalent in Windows 95..
    >
    > We are doing an NT4 server inplace upgrade to W2K3, but we have some
    Windows
    > 95 worksations which fail to open outlook because they are unable to ping

    > the server by netbios name....this occurs after we add a proposed dns
    entry
    > in the dns tab....
    >
    > Win95 cannot resolve netbios server name if this entry is in, but we must
    be
    > able to have that entry there because dhcp will hand it out to our XP
    > clients....
    >
    > how can i resolve ....urgent
    >
    > Thanks Ray

    Type this at command prompt:

    COPY C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS.SAM C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS
    EDIT HOSTS

    This is HOSTS file. Edit and save.

    COPY C:\WINDOWS\LMHOSTS.SAM C:\WINDOWS\LMHOSTS
    EDIT LMHOSTS

    This is LMHOSTS file. Edit and save.
    Restart.

Servers Windows