Equivalent hosts file location

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

hi,

how/where do i setup the lmhost /host file equivalent in Windows 95..

We are doing an NT4 server inplace upgrade to W2K3, but we have some Windows
95 worksations which fail to open outlook because they are unable to ping
the server by netbios name....this occurs after we add a proposed dns entry
in the dns tab....

Win95 cannot resolve netbios server name if this entry is in, but we must be
able to have that entry there because dhcp will hand it out to our XP
clients....

how can i resolve ....urgent

Thanks Ray

HAGGIS

<Ray> wrote in message news:%23v2U4KXzEHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> hi,
>
> how/where do i setup the lmhost /host file equivalent in Windows 95..
>
> We are doing an NT4 server inplace upgrade to W2K3, but we have some
> Windows 95 worksations which fail to open outlook because they are unable
> to ping the server by netbios name....this occurs after we add a proposed
> dns entry in the dns tab....
>
> Win95 cannot resolve netbios server name if this entry is in, but we must
> be able to have that entry there because dhcp will hand it out to our XP
> clients....
>
> how can i resolve ....urgent
>
> Thanks Ray

did you also specify the NT4 as gateway on the win95 boxes ?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

no....the default gateway was specified as a genuine firewall onsite.

It work if i set it to the firewall, but only as a test......

any ideas

<Ray> wrote in message news:O4EolAYzEHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> no....the default gateway was specified as a genuine firewall onsite.
>
> It work if i set it to the firewall, but only as a test......
>
> any ideas
>
> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <Ray> wrote in message news:%23v2U4KXzEHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> how/where do i setup the lmhost /host file equivalent in Windows 95..
>>>
>>> We are doing an NT4 server inplace upgrade to W2K3, but we have some
>>> Windows 95 worksations which fail to open outlook because they are
>>> unable to ping the server by netbios name....this occurs after we add a
>>> proposed dns entry in the dns tab....
>>>
>>> Win95 cannot resolve netbios server name if this entry is in, but we
>>> must be able to have that entry there because dhcp will hand it out to
>>> our XP clients....
>>>
>>> how can i resolve ....urgent
>>>
>>> Thanks Ray
>>>

>> did you also specify the NT4 as gateway on the win95 boxes ?

you are using a firewall as gateway? then which machine is your DHCP server
?

try changing your gateway to point at the DHCP server's IP

(sorry if my replies are spotty ...trying to think about your setup and is a
little busy where i am)

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I only pointed it to the firewall/default gateway becuase i knew it had dns
on it and would resolve...as atest.

Other than that address i do not currently have dns here, but will implement
during AD install...

The problem is ...pointing the win95 client to the potential dns on the AD
box, causes it to fail any netbios resolution....cannot ping servers, but ok
when i take it out

> <Ray> wrote in message news:O4EolAYzEHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> no....the default gateway was specified as a genuine firewall onsite.
>>
>> It work if i set it to the firewall, but only as a test......
>>
>> any ideas
>>
>> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> did you also specify the NT4 as gateway on the win95 boxes ?
>>>

> you are using a firewall as gateway? then which machine is your DHCP
> server ?
>
> try changing your gateway to point at the DHCP server's IP
>
> (sorry if my replies are spotty ...trying to think about your setup and is
> a little busy where i am)

HAGGIS

<Ray> wrote in message news:%23mtgDkYzEHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I only pointed it to the firewall/default gateway becuase i knew it had dns
>on it and would resolve...as atest.

so resolution works with a proper DNS....good

> Other than that address i do not currently have dns here, but will
> implement during AD install...

so you don't have a DNS setup yet ?

> The problem is ...pointing the win95 client to the potential dns on the AD
> box, causes it to fail any netbios resolution....cannot ping servers, but
> ok when i take it out

as stated above(not quite clear on the "potential" dns , it is either there
or not) ...DNS not setup yet ...complete your AD setup and then try your dns
functionailty on the win95 box...

> hi,
>
> how/where do i setup the lmhost /host file equivalent in Windows 95..
>
> We are doing an NT4 server inplace upgrade to W2K3, but we have some
Windows
> 95 worksations which fail to open outlook because they are unable to ping

> the server by netbios name....this occurs after we add a proposed dns
entry
> in the dns tab....
>
> Win95 cannot resolve netbios server name if this entry is in, but we must
be
> able to have that entry there because dhcp will hand it out to our XP
> clients....
>
> how can i resolve ....urgent
>
> Thanks Ray

Type this at command prompt:

COPY C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS.SAM C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS
EDIT HOSTS

This is HOSTS file. Edit and save.

COPY C:\WINDOWS\LMHOSTS.SAM C:\WINDOWS\LMHOSTS
EDIT LMHOSTS

This is LMHOSTS file. Edit and save.
Restart.