Can the Canon PIXMA IP 3000 use different software to prin..

I have a Canon PIXMA IP 3000 that prints CD's very well. The only problem
is the software 'CD-Label Print' isn't very good inasmuch as it doesn't
allow for you to do things like change the size of the picture that you want
to print onto your disk. Is it possible to get this printer to use other
software to print CD's? I have several other programs that will allow for
things like change of picture size but don't see any way to get the software
to tell you to insert the CD print tray.
I have Nero's Cover designer but it's templates are for the complete CD's
covers as well & even though I might be able to get a template that was only
for printing the CD face I can't see a way to get the printer to recognize
the print command.

--
Thanks in advance

"Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> I have a Canon PIXMA IP 3000 that prints CD's very well. The only problem
> is the software 'CD-Label Print' isn't very good inasmuch as it doesn't
> allow for you to do things like change the size of the picture that you
> want to print onto your disk. Is it possible to get this printer to use
> other software to print CD's? I have several other programs that will
> allow for things like change of picture size but don't see any way to get
> the software to tell you to insert the CD print tray.
> I have Nero's Cover designer but it's templates are for the complete CD's
> covers as well & even though I might be able to get a template that was
> only for printing the CD face I can't see a way to get the printer to
> recognize the print command.
>

> --
> Thanks in advance

Sorry I can't suggest any software, but as a new ip3000 owner in Canada, I
was intrigued with your comments about direct CD / DVD printing.
The printers sold here don't come with it! I've already emailed Canon Canada
to ask why.
For other North America skeptics see the links below , and start emailing
Canon to find out what the bleep's going on!
I wonered about that little drop down panel inside the printer and now that
I've seen what it's used for..I WANT ONE!

http://www.canon.com.au/products/printers/colour_bj_printers/ip3000.html

http://www.canon.com.au/images/big_products/ip5000_l_cd_hr_sh_rgb.jpg

The image is the 5000 but the details on the 3000 / 4000 pages show the same
setup!

Videot wrote:
> I have a Canon PIXMA IP 3000 that prints CD's very well. The only
> problem is the software 'CD-Label Print' isn't very good inasmuch as
> it doesn't allow for you to do things like change the size of the
> picture that you want to print onto your disk. Is it possible to get
> this printer to use other software to print CD's? I have several
> other programs that will allow for things like change of picture size
> but don't see any way to get the software to tell you to insert the
> CD print tray. I have Nero's Cover designer but it's templates are for the
> complete
> CD's covers as well & even though I might be able to get a template
> that was only for printing the CD face I can't see a way to get the
> printer to recognize the print command.

Sure. If you plan to use Cover Designer, just select printer settings, under
Media type select printable disc, while paper source will set itself to CD
Tray (just need to click OK). Then under Page setup selectpage size CD-R
Tray B. Voila!!!

I would have thought that the same model would have the same features no
matter where they sold. If they want to ad or delete features from country
to country they usually give them different model numbers.

>I would have thought that the same model would have the same features no
>matter where they sold. If they want to ad or delete features from country
>to country they usually give them different model numbers.

The whole thing is very strange indeed. A machine like that as an
alternative to the Epsons that are available here would be a HUGE seller.
They are already, but that would just be icing on the cake!
As to your software question I doubt Canon Aust commissioned someone to
write software especially for them, so chances are that it's a Lite version
of something that's already out there. Check in HELP ABOUT and see if there
are any references to a commerical program

I believe your problem with Nero would be that the page layouts for printing
directly to a CD in a Pixma machine would be missing. The printer has to
know where the CD or label can be found. If you choose the wrong layout the
printer won't be able to find the CD ? I have Sure Thing CD labeller and I
noticed there are layouts for Epson machines in there ? I think you're going
to need something similar for the Canon ?

I had thought that your suggestions might have worked but I can't get them
to. In Nero Cover Designer there is no option for selecting 'printable
disk' as you suggested. In the printer setup I only get these choices, Auto
Sheet feeder,cassette,continuos auto feed,paper allocation & paper feed
switch. For paper allocation I even tried to set this to label. The
problem is always the same. When I click print I get a message that it
can't print because the door is open on the printer. The door has to be
open because that is where you need to insert the tray that holds the disk.
Any other ideas?

There might also be another problem because the cover designer program
template wants to print the DVD as a set which has a booklet front, booklet
rear, inlay & disk. I only want to print the disk so this probably means
that printer is expecting to get print orders for the first three of these
things first? Maybe this program is set up only to print the DVD label onto
stick on paper labels?

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> Videot wrote:
>> I have a Canon PIXMA IP 3000 that prints CD's very well. The only
>> problem is the software 'CD-Label Print' isn't very good inasmuch as
>> it doesn't allow for you to do things like change the size of the
>> picture that you want to print onto your disk. Is it possible to get
>> this printer to use other software to print CD's? I have several
>> other programs that will allow for things like change of picture size
>> but don't see any way to get the software to tell you to insert the
>> CD print tray. I have Nero's Cover designer but it's templates are for
>> the complete
>> CD's covers as well & even though I might be able to get a template
>> that was only for printing the CD face I can't see a way to get the
>> printer to recognize the print command.
>
> Sure. If you plan to use Cover Designer, just select printer settings,
> under Media type select printable disc, while paper source will set itself
> to CD Tray (just need to click OK). Then under Page setup selectpage size
> CD-R Tray B. Voila!!!

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

"Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> I have a Canon PIXMA IP 3000 that prints CD's very well. The only problem
> is the software 'CD-Label Print' isn't very good inasmuch as it doesn't
> allow for you to do things like change the size of the picture that you
> want to print onto your disk. Is it possible to get this printer to use
> other software to print CD's? I have several other programs that will
> allow for things like change of picture size but don't see any way to get
> the software to tell you to insert the CD print tray.
> I have Nero's Cover designer but it's templates are for the complete CD's
> covers as well & even though I might be able to get a template that was
> only for printing the CD face I can't see a way to get the printer to
> recognize the print command.
>

> --
> Thanks in advance

Surething CD Labeler 4 can print on ink-jet CD printers, such as Epson R200.
I am not sure about the Canon IP series. If it's not supported yet, it
possibly will in the next update.

I beleive there is a patent problem. other countries where the patent
doesn't apply they can use this technology without paying a royalty.

Videot wrote:
> I had thought that your suggestions might have worked but I can't get
> them to. In Nero Cover Designer there is no option for selecting
> 'printable disk' as you suggested. In the printer setup I only get
> these choices, Auto Sheet feeder,cassette,continuos auto feed,paper
> allocation & paper feed switch.

That's because you must set Media type to Printable disc first!!! Then you
can select CDR Tray! (or even better, after selecting printable disc, CDR
Tray is selected automatically). Last don't forget to select Page setup/Page
size CD-R Tray B

For paper allocation I even tried to
> set this to label. The problem is always the same. When I click
> print I get a message that it can't print because the door is open on
> the printer. The door has to be open because that is where you need
> to insert the tray that holds the disk. Any other ideas?
>
> There might also be another problem because the cover designer program
> template wants to print the DVD as a set which has a booklet front,
> booklet rear, inlay & disk. I only want to print the disk so this
> probably means that printer is expecting to get print orders for the
> first three of these things first? Maybe this program is set up only
> to print the DVD label onto stick on paper labels?
>
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Videot wrote:
>>> I have a Canon PIXMA IP 3000 that prints CD's very well. The only
>>> problem is the software 'CD-Label Print' isn't very good inasmuch as
>>> it doesn't allow for you to do things like change the size of the
>>> picture that you want to print onto your disk. Is it possible to get
>>> this printer to use other software to print CD's? I have several
>>> other programs that will allow for things like change of picture
>>> size but don't see any way to get the software to tell you to
>>> insert the CD print tray. I have Nero's Cover designer but it's
>>> templates are for the complete
>>> CD's covers as well & even though I might be able to get a template
>>> that was only for printing the CD face I can't see a way to get the
>>> printer to recognize the print command.
>>
>> Sure. If you plan to use Cover Designer, just select printer
>> settings, under Media type select printable disc, while paper source
>> will set itself to CD Tray (just need to click OK). Then under Page
>> setup selectpage size CD-R Tray B. Voila!!!

When I open Nero Cover Designer I have gone first to printer setting but
there is no option to select CDR tray. The only options are as I said
before are ' Auto Sheet feeder,cassette,continuos auto feed,paper allocation
& paper feed switch.' The version of Cover Designer is 2.3. which came with
Nero 6.

Videot wrote:
> When I open Nero Cover Designer I have gone first to printer setting
> but there is no option to select CDR tray. The only options are as I
> said before are ' Auto Sheet feeder,cassette,continuos auto
> feed,paper allocation & paper feed switch.' The version of Cover
> Designer is 2.3. which came with Nero 6.

I think you're looking at wrong position. You must set this in Canon's
properties, not in Coverdesigner's. So, you select Print settings (in Cover
Designer) ,then just right of printer selection click Properties. YOu'll get
Canon's properties window. From THERE you msut make all those settings i
told you. After you do make them, CDR tray will also show in Cover
Designer's properties window.
I must admit i looked damn long for this, too...

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Videot wrote:
>>> I had thought that your suggestions might have worked but I can't
>>> get them to. In Nero Cover Designer there is no option for
>>> selecting 'printable disk' as you suggested. In the printer setup
>>> I only get these choices, Auto Sheet feeder,cassette,continuos auto
>>> feed,paper allocation & paper feed switch.
>>
>> That's because you must set Media type to Printable disc first!!! Then
>> you can select CDR Tray! (or even better, after selecting
>> printable disc, CDR Tray is selected automatically). Last don't
>> forget to select Page setup/Page size CD-R Tray B
>>

>> For paper allocation I even tried to
>>> set this to label. The problem is always the same. When I click
>>> print I get a message that it can't print because the door is open
>>> on the printer. The door has to be open because that is where you
>>> need to insert the tray that holds the disk. Any other ideas?
>>>
>>> There might also be another problem because the cover designer
>>> program template wants to print the DVD as a set which has a
>>> booklet front, booklet rear, inlay & disk. I only want to print
>>> the disk so this probably means that printer is expecting to get
>>> print orders for the first three of these things first? Maybe this
>>> program is set up only to print the DVD label onto stick on paper
>>> labels? "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

Well I finally found the tray setting in Cover Designer & was able to import
my photo & size it as I wanted it. The only problem now is that the Nero
template expects to receive data for the front, rear & inlay first. The
tray takes the CD into the machine & it sounds like it's printing but
nothing happens. I suppose what I need is a template for the disk only.
Any ideas as to where to get one or how to make one?

> Videot wrote:
>> When I open Nero Cover Designer I have gone first to printer setting
>> but there is no option to select CDR tray. The only options are as I
>> said before are ' Auto Sheet feeder,cassette,continuos auto
>> feed,paper allocation & paper feed switch.' The version of Cover
>> Designer is 2.3. which came with Nero 6.
>>

> I think you're looking at wrong position. You must set this in Canon's
> properties, not in Coverdesigner's. So, you select Print settings (in
> Cover Designer) ,then just right of printer selection click Properties.
> YOu'll get Canon's properties window. From THERE you msut make all those
> settings i told you. After you do make them, CDR tray will also show in
> Cover Designer's properties window.
> I must admit i looked damn long for this, too...
>

>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>>>
>>> That's because you must set Media type to Printable disc first!!! Then
>>> you can select CDR Tray! (or even better, after selecting
>>> printable disc, CDR Tray is selected automatically). Last don't
>>> forget to select Page setup/Page size CD-R Tray B
>>>

>>> For paper allocation I even tried to

Just browsing about in FILE >PAPER STOCKS there are choices for Canon i865
Label and i905D label.
The preview SEEMS to match the ip3000 tray which I believe is the same as
the i865 and 905 ?
Take a look and give it a try!

> Well I finally found the tray setting in Cover Designer & was able to
> import
> my photo & size it as I wanted it. The only problem now is that the Nero
> template expects to receive data for the front, rear & inlay first. The
> tray takes the CD into the machine & it sounds like it's printing but
> nothing happens. I suppose what I need is a template for the disk only.
> Any ideas as to where to get one or how to make one?
>

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Videot wrote:
>>> When I open Nero Cover Designer I have gone first to printer setting
>>> but there is no option to select CDR tray. The only options are as I
>>> said before are ' Auto Sheet feeder,cassette,continuos auto
>>> feed,paper allocation & paper feed switch.' The version of Cover
>>> Designer is 2.3. which came with Nero 6.
>>>

>> I think you're looking at wrong position. You must set this in Canon's
>> properties, not in Coverdesigner's. So, you select Print settings (in
>> Cover Designer) ,then just right of printer selection click Properties.
>> YOu'll get Canon's properties window. From THERE you msut make all those
>> settings i told you. After you do make them, CDR tray will also show in
>> Cover Designer's properties window.
>> I must admit i looked damn long for this, too...
>>

>>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

Update: This time I think I've got it
Select the DISK layout and at the top on the bar is a PAPER SELECTION drop
down box.
Click the box and locate the Canon i865 or 905 label print.
Create your design, and when you want to Print use

FILE > PRINT.
At the top of the Print dialogue you'll see an ELEMENTS tab.
Click that and check ONLY the DISK 1. It should show the Canon i865 layout.
The preview certainly resembles the disk in the tray ?? Then I think you'd
have to make sure
the disk is selected in the Printer Properties as well? I don't have the
disk printing option on my
ip3000...because it's not provided with NORTH AMERICAN CANON IP SERIES
PRINTERS!!

wrotenews:41a1398b$0$17540$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au:

> I had thought that your suggestions might have worked but I can't get
> them to. In Nero Cover Designer there is no option for selecting
> 'printable disk' as you suggested. In the printer setup I only get

I never use Nero's proggie for that.

I have a great one called Accustica CdLabeler that does everything.

See if you can pickup a version around.

It does dvd cases, audio everything and the software people there are really
good! You just drag and drop pictures onto the cdr and drag it bigger or
smaller or resize it, add txt, put a picture over another one.

I love it.

--
---Mapanari---