QUERY

I have a Compaq Presario 4220 with a V410 Monitor. It is preloaded with
Win95b.In the Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates are shown as under:

640x480 - 60 Hz 800x600 - 75 Hz

1024x768 - 60 Hz 1280x1024 - 87i Hz

Occasionally the Monitor Background goes into an Orange OR Pale colour
losing its Original Desktop Colour? What could be the cause?
Under Monitor Refresh, should I check the two boxes viz.,
"Set Highest"
"Adapter Default" ?
In Advanced Display Properties, under Adapter Tab, Refresh Rate shows as
"Optimal".

Please advise
Kind regards
Capt K Ripendran
16 answers Last reply
More about query

    "Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates" may be a Display tab specific to your
    video card driver software, as I do not see it on other Win95B computers.....unless
    you are finding it somewhere else. Don't use "Adapter default"...that will set it
    to 60Hz, most likely, and will be very flickery. Try "Set Highest", which should
    coincide with the "Optimal" setting in Display Settings> Advanced.

    Your problem going to orange colour may have nothing to do with refresh rate, but
    may be a hardware issue...video card or monitor acting up.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > I have a Compaq Presario 4220 with a V410 Monitor. It is preloaded with
    > Win95b.In the Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates are shown as under:
    >
    > 640x480 - 60 Hz 800x600 - 75 Hz
    >
    > 1024x768 - 60 Hz 1280x1024 - 87i Hz
    >
    > Occasionally the Monitor Background goes into an Orange OR Pale colour
    > losing its Original Desktop Colour? What could be the cause?
    > Under Monitor Refresh, should I check the two boxes viz.,
    > "Set Highest"
    > "Adapter Default" ?
    > In Advanced Display Properties, under Adapter Tab, Refresh Rate shows as
    > "Optimal".
    >
    > Please advise
    > Kind regards
    > Capt K Ripendran

    Most likely cause is the monitor is dying.

    >I have a Compaq Presario 4220 with a V410 Monitor. It is preloaded with
    > Win95b.In the Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates are shown as
    > under:
    >
    > 640x480 - 60 Hz 800x600 - 75 Hz
    >
    > 1024x768 - 60 Hz 1280x1024 - 87i Hz
    >
    > Occasionally the Monitor Background goes into an Orange OR Pale colour
    > losing its Original Desktop Colour? What could be the cause?
    > Under Monitor Refresh, should I check the two boxes viz.,
    > "Set Highest"
    > "Adapter Default" ?
    > In Advanced Display Properties, under Adapter Tab, Refresh Rate shows as
    > "Optimal".
    >
    > Please advise
    > Kind regards
    > Capt K Ripendran

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Thank you for the input. I find the following in Compaq Diagnostics!

    "Current graphics resolution . 800 x 600
    Primary Monitor attached to . Cirrus CL-GD5446 Graphics Controller
    Video device driver(s)
    DISPLAY.DRV=pnpdrvr.drv
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\pnpdrvr.drv does not exist"

    And I do have Monitor Refresh TAB in the Display Properties!
    As suggested, I will try, SET HIGHEST, but if the Monitor quality still does
    NOT improve what other alternatives do I have? Should I change the Video
    Card or the Monitor - in case the Monitor is acting up / dying ?!
    Thanking you
    Regards
    Capt K Ripendran

    > "Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates" may be a Display tab specific
    to your
    > video card driver software, as I do not see it on other Win95B
    computers.....unless
    > you are finding it somewhere else. Don't use "Adapter default"...that
    will set it
    > to 60Hz, most likely, and will be very flickery. Try "Set Highest", which
    should
    > coincide with the "Optimal" setting in Display Settings> Advanced.
    >
    > Your problem going to orange colour may have nothing to do with refresh
    rate, but
    > may be a hardware issue...video card or monitor acting up.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > > I have a Compaq Presario 4220 with a V410 Monitor. It is preloaded with
    > > Win95b.In the Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates are shown as
    under:

    > > 640x480 - 60 Hz 800x600 - 75 Hz
    > >
    > > 1024x768 - 60 Hz 1280x1024 - 87i Hz
    > >
    > > Occasionally the Monitor Background goes into an Orange OR Pale colour
    > > losing its Original Desktop Colour? What could be the cause?
    > > Under Monitor Refresh, should I check the two boxes viz.,
    > > "Set Highest"
    > > "Adapter Default" ?
    > > In Advanced Display Properties, under Adapter Tab, Refresh Rate shows as
    > > "Optimal".
    > >
    > > Please advise
    > > Kind regards
    > > Capt K Ripendran
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    If that does not help (and I tend to think that it won't), then you need to
    determine which piece of hardware is a fault. The simplest way to do that is to
    either borrow a monitor and see if the problem occurs when using it, or try your
    monitor on another computer and see if the same problem occurs there.
    --

    > Thank you for the input. I find the following in Compaq Diagnostics!
    >
    > "Current graphics resolution . 800 x 600
    > Primary Monitor attached to . Cirrus CL-GD5446 Graphics Controller
    > Video device driver(s)
    > DISPLAY.DRV=pnpdrvr.drv
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\pnpdrvr.drv does not exist"
    >
    > And I do have Monitor Refresh TAB in the Display Properties!
    > As suggested, I will try, SET HIGHEST, but if the Monitor quality still does
    > NOT improve what other alternatives do I have? Should I change the Video
    > Card or the Monitor - in case the Monitor is acting up / dying ?!
    > Thanking you
    > Regards
    > Capt K Ripendran

    > > "Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates" may be a Display tab specific
    > to your
    > > video card driver software, as I do not see it on other Win95B
    > computers.....unless
    > > you are finding it somewhere else. Don't use "Adapter default"...that
    > will set it
    > > to 60Hz, most likely, and will be very flickery. Try "Set Highest", which
    > should
    > > coincide with the "Optimal" setting in Display Settings> Advanced.
    > >
    > > Your problem going to orange colour may have nothing to do with refresh
    > rate, but
    > > may be a hardware issue...video card or monitor acting up.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > > > I have a Compaq Presario 4220 with a V410 Monitor. It is preloaded with
    > > > Win95b.In the Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates are shown as
    > under:
    > > >
    > > > 640x480 - 60 Hz 800x600 - 75 Hz
    > > >
    > > > 1024x768 - 60 Hz 1280x1024 - 87i Hz
    > > >
    > > > Occasionally the Monitor Background goes into an Orange OR Pale colour
    > > > losing its Original Desktop Colour? What could be the cause?
    > > > Under Monitor Refresh, should I check the two boxes viz.,
    > > > "Set Highest"
    > > > "Adapter Default" ?
    > > > In Advanced Display Properties, under Adapter Tab, Refresh Rate shows as
    > > > "Optimal".
    > > >
    > > > Please advise
    > > > Kind regards
    > > > Capt K Ripendran

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    By the way, I forgot inform that the
    Color Palette shows
    High Color (16 Bit).
    Should I change it to
    256 Color OR
    True Color (24 Bit) ?

    "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > Thank you for the input. I find the following in Compaq Diagnostics!
    >
    > "Current graphics resolution . 800 x 600
    > Primary Monitor attached to . Cirrus CL-GD5446 Graphics Controller
    > Video device driver(s)
    > DISPLAY.DRV=pnpdrvr.drv
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\pnpdrvr.drv does not exist"
    >
    > And I do have Monitor Refresh TAB in the Display Properties!
    > As suggested, I will try, SET HIGHEST, but if the Monitor quality still
    does
    > NOT improve what other alternatives do I have? Should I change the Video
    > Card or the Monitor - in case the Monitor is acting up / dying ?!
    > Thanking you
    > Regards
    > Capt K Ripendran

    > > "Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates" may be a Display tab specific
    > to your
    > > video card driver software, as I do not see it on other Win95B
    > computers.....unless
    > > you are finding it somewhere else. Don't use "Adapter default"...that
    > will set it
    > > to 60Hz, most likely, and will be very flickery. Try "Set Highest",
    which
    > should
    > > coincide with the "Optimal" setting in Display Settings> Advanced.
    > >
    > > Your problem going to orange colour may have nothing to do with refresh
    > rate, but
    > > may be a hardware issue...video card or monitor acting up.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > > > I have a Compaq Presario 4220 with a V410 Monitor. It is preloaded
    with
    > > > Win95b.In the Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates are shown as
    > under:
    > > >
    > > > 640x480 - 60 Hz 800x600 - 75 Hz
    > > >
    > > > 1024x768 - 60 Hz 1280x1024 - 87i Hz
    > > >
    > > > Occasionally the Monitor Background goes into an Orange OR Pale colour
    > > > losing its Original Desktop Colour? What could be the cause?
    > > > Under Monitor Refresh, should I check the two boxes viz.,
    > > > "Set Highest"
    > > > "Adapter Default" ?
    > > > In Advanced Display Properties, under Adapter Tab, Refresh Rate shows
    as
    > > > "Optimal".
    > > >
    > > > Please advise
    > > > Kind regards
    > > > Capt K Ripendran

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    High Color (16 Bit) is good.
    --

    > By the way, I forgot inform that the
    > Color Palette shows
    > High Color (16 Bit).
    > Should I change it to
    > 256 Color OR
    > True Color (24 Bit) ?
    >

    > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > > Thank you for the input. I find the following in Compaq Diagnostics!
    > >
    > > "Current graphics resolution . 800 x 600
    > > Primary Monitor attached to . Cirrus CL-GD5446 Graphics Controller
    > > Video device driver(s)
    > > DISPLAY.DRV=pnpdrvr.drv
    > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\pnpdrvr.drv does not exist"
    > >
    > > And I do have Monitor Refresh TAB in the Display Properties!
    > > As suggested, I will try, SET HIGHEST, but if the Monitor quality still
    > does
    > > NOT improve what other alternatives do I have? Should I change the Video
    > > Card or the Monitor - in case the Monitor is acting up / dying ?!
    > > Thanking you
    > > Regards
    > > Capt K Ripendran
    > >

    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates" may be a Display tab specific
    > > to your
    > > > video card driver software, as I do not see it on other Win95B
    > > computers.....unless
    > > > you are finding it somewhere else. Don't use "Adapter default"...that
    > > will set it
    > > > to 60Hz, most likely, and will be very flickery. Try "Set Highest",
    > which
    > > should
    > > > coincide with the "Optimal" setting in Display Settings> Advanced.
    > > >
    > > > Your problem going to orange colour may have nothing to do with refresh
    > > rate, but
    > > > may be a hardware issue...video card or monitor acting up.
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > >

    > > > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > with
    > > under:

    > as

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    I'm not sure what you mean by 'monitor background', but sometimes if you get
    a strong colour tint across the whole display that indicates you have lost
    one colour, and that in turn indicates a faulty cable. Another possibility
    is one of the colour guns is dying, and that's usually not worth repairing.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    >I have a Compaq Presario 4220 with a V410 Monitor. It is preloaded with
    > Win95b.In the Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates are shown as
    > under:
    >
    > 640x480 - 60 Hz 800x600 - 75 Hz
    >
    > 1024x768 - 60 Hz 1280x1024 - 87i Hz
    >
    > Occasionally the Monitor Background goes into an Orange OR Pale colour
    > losing its Original Desktop Colour? What could be the cause?
    > Under Monitor Refresh, should I check the two boxes viz.,
    > "Set Highest"
    > "Adapter Default" ?
    > In Advanced Display Properties, under Adapter Tab, Refresh Rate shows as
    > "Optimal".
    >
    > Please advise
    > Kind regards
    > Capt K Ripendran

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Many thanks for ALL the input. As suggested, I tried "Set Highest",
    coinciding with the "Optimal" setting in Display Settings - Advanced. I am
    happy to inform you that it has worked ( the display is clear with no
    flickering!) though the PC will be 7 years OLD on 1st Dec 2004!
    Thanks once again.
    Regards
    Capt K Ripendran

    > If that does not help (and I tend to think that it won't), then you need
    > determine which piece of hardware is a fault. The simplest way to do that
    is to
    > either borrow a monitor and see if the problem occurs when using it, or
    try your
    > monitor on another computer and see if the same problem occurs there.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > > Thank you for the input. I find the following in Compaq Diagnostics!
    > >
    > > "Current graphics resolution . 800 x 600
    > > Primary Monitor attached to . Cirrus CL-GD5446 Graphics Controller
    > > Video device driver(s)
    > > DISPLAY.DRV=pnpdrvr.drv
    > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\pnpdrvr.drv does not exist"
    > >
    > > And I do have Monitor Refresh TAB in the Display Properties!
    > > As suggested, I will try, SET HIGHEST, but if the Monitor quality still
    does
    > > NOT improve what other alternatives do I have? Should I change the Video
    > > Card or the Monitor - in case the Monitor is acting up / dying ?!
    > > Thanking you
    > > Regards
    > > Capt K Ripendran
    > >

    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates" may be a Display tab
    specific
    > > to your
    > > > video card driver software, as I do not see it on other Win95B
    > > computers.....unless
    > > > you are finding it somewhere else. Don't use "Adapter default"...that
    > > will set it
    > > > to 60Hz, most likely, and will be very flickery. Try "Set Highest",
    which
    > > should
    > > > coincide with the "Optimal" setting in Display Settings> Advanced.
    > > >
    > > > Your problem going to orange colour may have nothing to do with
    refresh
    > > rate, but
    > > > may be a hardware issue...video card or monitor acting up.
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > >

    > > > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > > under:

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Glen,
    As advised, I checked "Set Highest", in Monitor Refresh Rates
    coinciding with "Optimal" setting in Advanced Display Properties. There was
    NO flickering but quite rightly the colour has GONE! And as you had
    suggested, I used another 17" Monitor and it is simply wonderful. Now, I
    suppose that the Monitor is at fault and not the Video Card? What would you
    suggest- repair OR change?! The problem is that Compaq may NOT have a
    replacement Monitor after 7 years.
    Thanks in advance
    Capt K Ripendran

    > Many thanks for ALL the input. As suggested, I tried "Set Highest",
    > coinciding with the "Optimal" setting in Display Settings - Advanced. I am
    > happy to inform you that it has worked ( the display is clear with no
    > flickering!) though the PC will be 7 years OLD on 1st Dec 2004!
    > Thanks once again.
    > Regards
    > Capt K Ripendran

    > > If that does not help (and I tend to think that it won't), then you need
    > > determine which piece of hardware is a fault. The simplest way to do
    that
    > is to
    > > either borrow a monitor and see if the problem occurs when using it, or
    > try your
    > > monitor on another computer and see if the same problem occurs there.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > > > Thank you for the input. I find the following in Compaq Diagnostics!
    > > >
    > > > "Current graphics resolution . 800 x 600
    > > > Primary Monitor attached to . Cirrus CL-GD5446 Graphics Controller
    > > > Video device driver(s)
    > > > DISPLAY.DRV=pnpdrvr.drv
    > > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\pnpdrvr.drv does not exist"
    > > >
    > > > And I do have Monitor Refresh TAB in the Display Properties!
    > > > As suggested, I will try, SET HIGHEST, but if the Monitor quality
    still
    > does
    > > > NOT improve what other alternatives do I have? Should I change the
    Video
    > > > Card or the Monitor - in case the Monitor is acting up / dying ?!
    > > > Thanking you
    > > > Regards
    > > > Capt K Ripendran
    > > >

    > > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > specific
    > > > to your
    > > > computers.....unless
    > > > will set it
    > which
    > > > should

    > refresh
    > > > rate, but

    > with
    > > > under:

    > colour
    > shows as

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Here in the States, the repair of a monitor far exceeds the cost of a new
    one.
    However, if your monitor includes the microphone and speakers, you most like
    will have to buy those new too.

    > Glen,
    > As advised, I checked "Set Highest", in Monitor Refresh Rates
    > coinciding with "Optimal" setting in Advanced Display Properties. There
    > was
    > NO flickering but quite rightly the colour has GONE! And as you had
    > suggested, I used another 17" Monitor and it is simply wonderful. Now, I
    > suppose that the Monitor is at fault and not the Video Card? What would
    > you
    > suggest- repair OR change?! The problem is that Compaq may NOT have a
    > replacement Monitor after 7 years.
    > Thanks in advance
    > Capt K Ripendran
    >
    > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    >> Many thanks for ALL the input. As suggested, I tried "Set Highest",
    >> coinciding with the "Optimal" setting in Display Settings - Advanced. I
    >> am
    >> happy to inform you that it has worked ( the display is clear with no
    >> flickering!) though the PC will be 7 years OLD on 1st Dec 2004!
    >> Thanks once again.
    >> Regards
    >> Capt K Ripendran
    >>
    >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> > If that does not help (and I tend to think that it won't), then you
    >> > need
    >> > determine which piece of hardware is a fault. The simplest way to do
    > that
    >> is to
    >> > either borrow a monitor and see if the problem occurs when using it, or
    >> try your
    >> > monitor on another computer and see if the same problem occurs there.
    >> > --
    >> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> >

    >> > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message

    > still
    >> does
    > Video

    >> specific
    > default"...that
    >> which

    >> refresh

    >> with
    > as

    >> colour
    >> shows as

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    You can replace it with any brand or model, or even and LCD display. There's
    nothing special about Compaq monitors.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > Glen,
    > As advised, I checked "Set Highest", in Monitor Refresh Rates
    > coinciding with "Optimal" setting in Advanced Display Properties. There
    > was
    > NO flickering but quite rightly the colour has GONE! And as you had
    > suggested, I used another 17" Monitor and it is simply wonderful. Now, I
    > suppose that the Monitor is at fault and not the Video Card? What would
    > you
    > suggest- repair OR change?! The problem is that Compaq may NOT have a
    > replacement Monitor after 7 years.
    > Thanks in advance
    > Capt K Ripendran
    >
    > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    >> Many thanks for ALL the input. As suggested, I tried "Set Highest",
    >> coinciding with the "Optimal" setting in Display Settings - Advanced. I
    >> am
    >> happy to inform you that it has worked ( the display is clear with no
    >> flickering!) though the PC will be 7 years OLD on 1st Dec 2004!
    >> Thanks once again.
    >> Regards
    >> Capt K Ripendran
    >>
    >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> > If that does not help (and I tend to think that it won't), then you
    >> > need
    >> > determine which piece of hardware is a fault. The simplest way to do
    > that
    >> is to
    >> > either borrow a monitor and see if the problem occurs when using it, or
    >> try your
    >> > monitor on another computer and see if the same problem occurs there.
    >> > --
    >> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> >

    >> > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message

    > still
    >> does
    > Video

    >> specific
    > default"...that
    >> which

    >> refresh

    >> with
    > as

    >> colour
    >> shows as

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    I meant the "whole display" when I said 'monitor background' ! I removed the
    video cable of the monitor from the video graphics connector on the rear
    panel of the computer and noticed that one PIN out 15 pins was missing (in
    the middle row)! Could this be the cause of the whole display having a
    colour tint? If so, how do I change the faulty cable? It seems to be FIXED
    inside the monitor?
    Thanking you
    Capt K Ripendran

    "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure what you mean by 'monitor background', but sometimes if you
    get
    > a strong colour tint across the whole display that indicates you have lost
    > one colour, and that in turn indicates a faulty cable. Another
    possibility
    > is one of the colour guns is dying, and that's usually not worth
    repairing.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > >I have a Compaq Presario 4220 with a V410 Monitor. It is preloaded with
    > > Win95b.In the Display Properties Monitor Refresh Rates are shown as
    > > under:
    > >
    > > 640x480 - 60 Hz 800x600 - 75 Hz
    > >
    > > 1024x768 - 60 Hz 1280x1024 - 87i Hz
    > >
    > > Occasionally the Monitor Background goes into an Orange OR Pale colour
    > > losing its Original Desktop Colour? What could be the cause?
    > > Under Monitor Refresh, should I check the two boxes viz.,
    > > "Set Highest"
    > > "Adapter Default" ?
    > > In Advanced Display Properties, under Adapter Tab, Refresh Rate shows as
    > > "Optimal".
    > >
    > > Please advise
    > > Kind regards
    > > Capt K Ripendran
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > I meant the "whole display" when I said 'monitor background' ! I removed
    the
    > video cable of the monitor from the video graphics connector on the rear
    > panel of the computer and noticed that one PIN out 15 pins was missing (in
    > the middle row)! Could this be the cause of the whole display having a
    > colour tint? If so, how do I change the faulty cable? It seems to be FIXED
    > inside the monitor?

    It is normal for video cables to be missing pins, some video cards even have
    some holes blocked.

    The other reply is most likely correct, if you are missing one of the three
    colours, your monitor has failed. While monitors _can_ be repaired, the
    bench charge* at the nearest place that I know fixes monitors is $85, I can
    buy a new 17" monitor for $107 plus tax.

    *Bench Charge, what it costs for them to look at it and determine if it is
    repairable.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Thank you for your prompt response. As I was contacting some vendors for a
    new monitor, it came to LIFE! It stayed like that for about three hours and
    again went back to a strong colour tint across the whole display!
    What could now be wrong - how did it come back with ALL colours even though
    for a short time?
    Thanking you
    Capt K Ripendran

    "Kay Archer" <kayhyphenarcher@mail.com> wrote in message

    > "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > > I meant the "whole display" when I said 'monitor background' ! I removed
    > the
    > > video cable of the monitor from the video graphics connector on the rear
    > > panel of the computer and noticed that one PIN out 15 pins was missing
    (in
    > > the middle row)! Could this be the cause of the whole display having a
    > > colour tint? If so, how do I change the faulty cable? It seems to be
    FIXED
    > > inside the monitor?
    >
    > It is normal for video cables to be missing pins, some video cards even
    have
    > some holes blocked.
    >
    > The other reply is most likely correct, if you are missing one of the
    three
    > colours, your monitor has failed. While monitors _can_ be repaired, the
    > bench charge* at the nearest place that I know fixes monitors is $85, I
    can
    > buy a new 17" monitor for $107 plus tax.
    >

    > *Bench Charge, what it costs for them to look at it and determine if it is
    > repairable.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > Thank you for your prompt response. As I was contacting some vendors for a
    > new monitor, it came to LIFE! It stayed like that for about three hours
    and
    > again went back to a strong colour tint across the whole display!
    > What could now be wrong - how did it come back with ALL colours even
    though
    > for a short time?
    > Thanking you
    > Capt K Ripendran

    One of the colour 'guns' is failing. Repairing monitors is not a trivial
    pasttime, if you do not know how to remove the residual charge safely, it
    can kill you without being plugged in.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    These faults are often intermittent, and it doesn't necessarily indicate
    where the problem is, as both a cable/connector and a tube problem can come
    and go. You can try moving and adjusting the cable, but dealing with the
    interior while the unit is switched on can be dangerous. A repair shop
    would be able to isolate the problem, but, as indicated, it might not be
    worth the cost.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Capt K Ripendran" <ripendra@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in> wrote in message
    > Thank you for your prompt response. As I was contacting some vendors for a
    > new monitor, it came to LIFE! It stayed like that for about three hours
    > and
    > again went back to a strong colour tint across the whole display!
    > What could now be wrong - how did it come back with ALL colours even
    > though
    > for a short time?
    > Thanking you
    > Capt K Ripendran