replacing a file that WIN is using

GRRRR HEEEEEEEEEEEELP! Or i will die and not before hammering my computer
to death <:) I downloaded and am trying to replace COMCTL32.DLL, which is
supposed to go into my system folder... but lo and behold, windows tells me
it can't replace it because IT IS IN USE by windows... soooo, is there a way
to make windows NOT use it so i can replace it? I would reallly appreciate a
hand on this. Thanks... my email is analee73@hotmail.com (BTW i had one
hell of a time finding this place because they changed it since the last time
i was here LOL)

There are many ways to do this, including a free utility, but the simplest
is probably just to boot to DOS and use DOS commands (the ability to boot to
DOS for this sort of task is, after all, the reason you're still using W95).

REN C:\Windows\System\COMCTL32.DLL COMCTL32.OLD
COPY C:\Downloads\COMCTL32.DLL C:\Windows\System
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
use DOS commands (the ability to boot to
> DOS for this sort of task is, after all, the reason you're still using
W95).

..........well, not really, it's because I'm lazy! But that's an interesting
point - do you mean that I won't be able to boot to DOS in Win 98?

buglady
take out the dog before replying