OVL vs. DLL

I couldn't find any DOS newsgroups, but this question has been bugging me for
months:
What is the difference between an DOS overlay file (.OVL) and a Dynamic Link
Library (.DLL)?
--
This is A SQUARE HOUSE. Please report any un-fairness to the proprietor

The purpose of an OVL is (usually) to allow a particular application to
maintain a memory footprint that is smaller than the total amount of code
and data. The purpose of a DLL is to encapsulate and standardize
commonly-use routines. An OVL will be specific to one program whereas a DLL
is designed to be used by any application that knows how to access the
functions it contains.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)