Serial Mouse

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
November 24, 2004 9:19:02 AM

I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except the
serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any suggestions/fixes
would be most appreciated. Thanks
--
Ron

More about : serial mouse

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 24, 2004 11:39:08 AM

Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports are
working?

"Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
> motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except the
> serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any
> suggestions/fixes
> would be most appreciated. Thanks
> --
> Ron
November 24, 2004 11:39:09 AM

Part of my problem has had to do with the BIOS on this particular
motherboard. It is the "386SX Modular BIOS/Copyright (c) 1984-90 Award
Software, Inc."

Probably is just me not knowing how, but the BIOS setup only addresses:
Date/Time/Diskettes/HDs/Video/Memory/Error Halt/Shadow RAM/Speed Select and
nothing else that I can access. By any chance are you familiar with this
particular BIOS? If so, perhaps you can tell me just how to determine if the
serial ports are indeed working? Thanks for your response.

"Richard Goh" wrote:

> Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports are
> working?
>
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
> > motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except the
> > serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any
> > suggestions/fixes
> > would be most appreciated. Thanks
> > --
> > Ron

Related resources
November 24, 2004 2:45:52 PM

"Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
news:o peF%23uj0EHA.3072@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports are
> working?
>
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
>> motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except
>> the
>> serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any
>> suggestions/fixes
>> would be most appreciated. Thanks
>> --
>> Ron

try installing this driver (after checking BIOS :> ) I've had good luck
with it (enables scroll in win95 )
November 24, 2004 2:46:03 PM

"Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
news:o peF%23uj0EHA.3072@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports are
> working?
>
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
>> motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except
>> the
>> serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any
>> suggestions/fixes
>> would be most appreciated. Thanks
>> --
>> Ron

oops :>

http://www.ntcompatible.com/print781.html
November 24, 2004 2:46:04 PM

I'll try this as soon as I am able and get back to you. Due to time
constraints/the holiday where I am to be out of town, it may be next week
before I get a chance to evaluate. Thanks for your response.

"Haggis" wrote:

> "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> news:o peF%23uj0EHA.3072@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports are
> > working?
> >
> > "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
> >> motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except
> >> the
> >> serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any
> >> suggestions/fixes
> >> would be most appreciated. Thanks
> >> --
> >> Ron
> >

> oops :>
>
> http://www.ntcompatible.com/print781.html

November 24, 2004 4:09:46 PM

I believe this is your bios , i don't see any settings for serial ports
tho....its an oldie for sure :>

http://www.phoenix.com/NR/rdonlyres/EEB89E24-3EA7-46F0-...
(watch out for word wrapping )

do you see a "com1" under control panel>system>ports ?

if so , we'll assume its there ....are you using a generic type serial mouse
or some branded type?

when you get a chance try that driver link...
November 24, 2004 4:09:47 PM

Looks to indeed be the correct BIOS and yes, this is an oldie...I discoverd a
cache of old motherboards/towers/adapter cards, etc. [all new in-the-box] and
put a few of them together just for the experience.

The mouse is a "Genius" serial mouse...works fine on the other computers I
referred to...same operating system.

I'll post a reply as to the result after I get a chance to "try that driver
link."

Thanks for the continued support!

"Haggis" wrote:

> I believe this is your bios , i don't see any settings for serial ports
> tho....its an oldie for sure :>
>

> http://www.phoenix.com/NR/rdonlyres/EEB89E24-3EA7-46F0-...
> (watch out for word wrapping )
>

> do you see a "com1" under control panel>system>ports ?
>
> if so , we'll assume its there ....are you using a generic type serial mouse
> or some branded type?
>
> when you get a chance try that driver link...

November 24, 2004 7:10:29 PM

somebody always chimes in eventually :> not much traffic here , but a few
still look when we get a minute...

maybe this will help "Genius Mouse Windows 95/98 Driver Download "

http://www.downseek.com/download/14318.asp

cheers!

--
David Bingley
Dartmouth,N.S.

> Looks to indeed be the correct BIOS and yes, this is an oldie...I
> discoverd a
> cache of old motherboards/towers/adapter cards, etc. [all new in-the-box]
> and
> put a few of them together just for the experience.
>
> The mouse is a "Genius" serial mouse...works fine on the other computers I
> referred to...same operating system.
>
> I'll post a reply as to the result after I get a chance to "try that
> driver
> link."
>
> Thanks for the continued support!
>
> "Haggis" wrote:
>
>> I believe this is your bios , i don't see any settings for serial ports
>> tho....its an oldie for sure :>
>>

>> http://www.phoenix.com/NR/rdonlyres/EEB89E24-3EA7-46F0-...
>> (watch out for word wrapping )
>>

>> do you see a "com1" under control panel>system>ports ?
>>
>> if so , we'll assume its there ....are you using a generic type serial
>> mouse
>> or some branded type?
>>
>> when you get a chance try that driver link...

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2004 10:42:12 AM

If your serial ports are not on the motherboard then they won't be part of
the BIOS. Does Windows list the serial ports as installed and working in
device manager?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> Part of my problem has had to do with the BIOS on this particular
> motherboard. It is the "386SX Modular BIOS/Copyright (c) 1984-90 Award
> Software, Inc."
>
> Probably is just me not knowing how, but the BIOS setup only addresses:
> Date/Time/Diskettes/HDs/Video/Memory/Error Halt/Shadow RAM/Speed Select
> and
> nothing else that I can access. By any chance are you familiar with this
> particular BIOS? If so, perhaps you can tell me just how to determine if
> the
> serial ports are indeed working? Thanks for your response.
>
> "Richard Goh" wrote:
>
>> Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports
>> are
>> working?
>>
>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
>> > motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except
>> > the
>> > serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any
>> > suggestions/fixes
>> > would be most appreciated. Thanks
>> > --
>> > Ron

November 25, 2004 11:29:23 AM

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
news:o xRvAYm0EHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> If your serial ports are not on the motherboard then they won't be part of
> the BIOS. Does Windows list the serial ports as installed and working in
> device manager?
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Part of my problem has had to do with the BIOS on this particular
>> motherboard. It is the "386SX Modular BIOS/Copyright (c) 1984-90 Award
>> Software, Inc."
>>
>> Probably is just me not knowing how, but the BIOS setup only addresses:
>> Date/Time/Diskettes/HDs/Video/Memory/Error Halt/Shadow RAM/Speed Select
>> and
>> nothing else that I can access. By any chance are you familiar with this
>> particular BIOS? If so, perhaps you can tell me just how to determine if
>> the
>> serial ports are indeed working? Thanks for your response.
>>
>> "Richard Goh" wrote:
>>
>>> Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports
>>> are
>>> working?
>>>
>>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

and the other thing..is the cable from the port plugged into the motherboard
in the right spot (pins lined up and in the right direction)
or is it a multifunction card with a serial port on it ?

heh heh been awhile since i played with a 386 :>
November 25, 2004 8:49:03 PM

Good, something else for me to try when I get home...on the road just now.
I'll reply after I've had a chance to evaluate...and keep everyone who has
been willing to assist appraised on my progress...

"Haggis" wrote:

> somebody always chimes in eventually :> not much traffic here , but a few
> still look when we get a minute...
>
> maybe this will help "Genius Mouse Windows 95/98 Driver Download "
>
> http://www.downseek.com/download/14318.asp
>
> cheers!
>

> --
> David Bingley
> Dartmouth,N.S.
> MIS/IT/IS yada yada
>

> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Looks to indeed be the correct BIOS and yes, this is an oldie...I
> > discoverd a
> > cache of old motherboards/towers/adapter cards, etc. [all new in-the-box]
> > and
> > put a few of them together just for the experience.
> >
> > The mouse is a "Genius" serial mouse...works fine on the other computers I
> > referred to...same operating system.
> >
> > I'll post a reply as to the result after I get a chance to "try that
> > driver
> > link."
> >
> > Thanks for the continued support!
> >
> > "Haggis" wrote:
> >
> >> I believe this is your bios , i don't see any settings for serial ports
> >> tho....its an oldie for sure :>
> >>

> >> http://www.phoenix.com/NR/rdonlyres/EEB89E24-3EA7-46F0-...
> >> (watch out for word wrapping )
> >>

> >> do you see a "com1" under control panel>system>ports ?
> >>
> >> if so , we'll assume its there ....are you using a generic type serial
> >> mouse
> >> or some branded type?
> >>
> >> when you get a chance try that driver link...

November 25, 2004 9:15:04 PM

The serial ports are physically on the motherboard...with regard to your
second qustion, I'm going on memory now as I won't have access to the
computer till I return home after the first of the week, but I have checked
in Device Manager and I was puzzled by the entry, i.e. both a COM port and an
LPT were listed, but double clicking for properties yielded something very
generic, essentially no properties? I'll look at it again when I can and
report back with more specifics if indicated. Thanks for the help [stay
posted?]

"Jeff Richards" wrote:

> If your serial ports are not on the motherboard then they won't be part of
> the BIOS. Does Windows list the serial ports as installed and working in
> device manager?
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Part of my problem has had to do with the BIOS on this particular
> > motherboard. It is the "386SX Modular BIOS/Copyright (c) 1984-90 Award
> > Software, Inc."
> >
> > Probably is just me not knowing how, but the BIOS setup only addresses:
> > Date/Time/Diskettes/HDs/Video/Memory/Error Halt/Shadow RAM/Speed Select
> > and
> > nothing else that I can access. By any chance are you familiar with this
> > particular BIOS? If so, perhaps you can tell me just how to determine if
> > the
> > serial ports are indeed working? Thanks for your response.
> >
> > "Richard Goh" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports
> >> are
> >> working?
> >>
> >> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

November 25, 2004 9:39:02 PM

Yes the cable is plugged into the motherboard as opposed to a controller
card..."right spot (pins lined up and in the right direction)," on that I can
only tell you that since I could'nt determine the #1 pin, I have plugged the
cable in both ways possible into both the COM1 and COM2 ports...[for the
record I've never "played" with a 386 before now].

"Haggis" wrote:

> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> news:o xRvAYm0EHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > If your serial ports are not on the motherboard then they won't be part of
> > the BIOS. Does Windows list the serial ports as installed and working in
> > device manager?
> > --
> > Jeff Richards
> > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> > "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Part of my problem has had to do with the BIOS on this particular
> >> motherboard. It is the "386SX Modular BIOS/Copyright (c) 1984-90 Award
> >> Software, Inc."
> >>
> >> Probably is just me not knowing how, but the BIOS setup only addresses:
> >> Date/Time/Diskettes/HDs/Video/Memory/Error Halt/Shadow RAM/Speed Select
> >> and
> >> nothing else that I can access. By any chance are you familiar with this
> >> particular BIOS? If so, perhaps you can tell me just how to determine if
> >> the
> >> serial ports are indeed working? Thanks for your response.

> and the other thing..is the cable from the port plugged into the motherboard
> in the right spot (pins lined up and in the right direction)
> or is it a multifunction card with a serial port on it ?
>
> heh heh been awhile since i played with a 386 :>

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 26, 2004 2:35:56 PM

"Ron" wrote

> The serial ports are physically on the motherboard...with regard to your
> second qustion, I'm going on memory now as I won't have access to the
> computer till I return home after the first of the week, but I have checked
> in Device Manager and I was puzzled by the entry, i.e. both a COM port and an
> LPT were listed, but double clicking for properties yielded something very
> generic, essentially no properties? I'll look at it again when I can and
> report back with more specifics if indicated. Thanks for the help [stay
> posted?]

I always find pictures and jumper tables to be a big help....

http://www.embeddedlogic.com/TH99/m/P-R/30101.htm
November 26, 2004 2:35:57 PM

"MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.Home@My.Place> wrote in message

> "Ron" wrote
>
>> The serial ports are physically on the motherboard...with regard to your
>> second qustion, I'm going on memory now as I won't have access to the
>> computer till I return home after the first of the week, but I have
>> checked
>> in Device Manager and I was puzzled by the entry, i.e. both a COM port
>> and an
>> LPT were listed, but double clicking for properties yielded something
>> very
>> generic, essentially no properties? I'll look at it again when I can and
>> report back with more specifics if indicated. Thanks for the help [stay
>> posted?]
>
> I always find pictures and jumper tables to be a big help....
>
> http://www.embeddedlogic.com/TH99/m/P-R/30101.htm

ok , if the cables are good to the extender card (and , yes the com1 and
com2 connectors to the MB are the same size:>)

look for markings around the pins on the MB one end should be marked with a
"1" or a band of white to indicate which is pin 1.

in device manager ...it should just say something like "communications port
(com1)" you're right very generic...according to that , they should work.

so maybe those drivers are needed , or the ports just don't function...don't
suppose you have an old controller card you could pop in to supply another
serial port ?

let us know...
November 26, 2004 2:35:57 PM

Thanks for the input...I'll compare this information with what I have been
doing as soon as I get back home to the computer in question...

"MasterBlaster" wrote:

> "Ron" wrote
>
> > The serial ports are physically on the motherboard...with regard to your
> > second qustion, I'm going on memory now as I won't have access to the
> > computer till I return home after the first of the week, but I have checked
> > in Device Manager and I was puzzled by the entry, i.e. both a COM port and an
> > LPT were listed, but double clicking for properties yielded something very
> > generic, essentially no properties? I'll look at it again when I can and
> > report back with more specifics if indicated. Thanks for the help [stay
> > posted?]
>
> I always find pictures and jumper tables to be a big help....
>
> http://www.embeddedlogic.com/TH99/m/P-R/30101.htm

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 26, 2004 2:35:58 PM

Try loading a mouse driver for MS-DOS before windows starts. CTMouse from
FreeDOS is the best i know.
If it works then windows is the problem. If it does not then you need
another controller.
November 26, 2004 2:35:58 PM

"cables are good" [?]...should be as I have tried more than one connector...

As a matter of fact, I do have additional controller cards and serial port
adapter cards with the required ISA bus connections...I know I tried the
serial cards without success, don't remember if I tried a controller card or
not, believe I did...the problem there could have been I didn't have the
jumpers on the motherboard set correctly?

I WILL "let ...[you] know. THANKS

"Haggis" wrote:

> "MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.Home@My.Place> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ron" wrote
> >
> >> The serial ports are physically on the motherboard...with regard to your
> >> second qustion, I'm going on memory now as I won't have access to the
> >> computer till I return home after the first of the week, but I have
> >> checked
> >> in Device Manager and I was puzzled by the entry, i.e. both a COM port
> >> and an
> >> LPT were listed, but double clicking for properties yielded something
> >> very
> >> generic, essentially no properties? I'll look at it again when I can and
> >> report back with more specifics if indicated. Thanks for the help [stay
> >> posted?]
> >
> > I always find pictures and jumper tables to be a big help....
> >
> > http://www.embeddedlogic.com/TH99/m/P-R/30101.htm
> >

> ok , if the cables are good to the extender card (and , yes the com1 and
> com2 connectors to the MB are the same size:>)
>
> look for markings around the pins on the MB one end should be marked with a
> "1" or a band of white to indicate which is pin 1.
>
> in device manager ...it should just say something like "communications port
> (com1)" you're right very generic...according to that , they should work.
>
> so maybe those drivers are needed , or the ports just don't function...don't
> suppose you have an old controller card you could pop in to supply another
> serial port ?
>
> let us know...

November 26, 2004 2:35:59 PM

At the risk of showing my ignorance, just exactly "how" do I "load[ing] a
mouse driver for MS-DOS before windows starts," some form of boot disk?
Anxious to try this as soon as I return home...first of the week...I intend
to try EVERYTHING that has been suggested on this forum until either
something works or it is determined I have defective hardware and no
go-around. Thanks for your input.

"Marius '95" wrote:

> Try loading a mouse driver for MS-DOS before windows starts. CTMouse from
> FreeDOS is the best i know.
> If it works then windows is the problem. If it does not then you need
> another controller.

November 26, 2004 4:07:34 PM

if you bypassed using the onboard ports and tried a card with no
success...that brings you back to

1. maybe the jumpers were not correct on card
2. some sort of DOS based driver is required....

> "cables are good" [?]...should be as I have tried more than one
> connector...
>
> As a matter of fact, I do have additional controller cards and serial port
> adapter cards with the required ISA bus connections...I know I tried the
> serial cards without success, don't remember if I tried a controller card
> or
> not, believe I did...the problem there could have been I didn't have the
> jumpers on the motherboard set correctly?
>
> I WILL "let ...[you] know. THANKS
>
> "Haggis" wrote:
>

>> "MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.Home@My.Place> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Ron" wrote

>> > I always find pictures and jumper tables to be a big help....
>> >
>> > http://www.embeddedlogic.com/TH99/m/P-R/30101.htm
>> >

>> ok , if the cables are good to the extender card (and , yes the com1 and
>> com2 connectors to the MB are the same size:>)
>>
>> look for markings around the pins on the MB one end should be marked with
>> "1" or a band of white to indicate which is pin 1.
>>
>> in device manager ...it should just say something like "communications
>> port
>> (com1)" you're right very generic...according to that , they should work.
>>
>> so maybe those drivers are needed , or the ports just don't
>> function...don't
>> suppose you have an old controller card you could pop in to supply
>> another
>> serial port ?
>>
>> let us know...

November 26, 2004 4:07:35 PM

Looks like we've almost gone full circle...when I return home, I will recheck
the situation with the jumpers and attempt to load all drivers suggested on
this forum including the DOS driver suggested by "Marius '95."

To be cont'd.

"Haggis" wrote:

> if you bypassed using the onboard ports and tried a card with no
> success...that brings you back to
>
> 1. maybe the jumpers were not correct on card
> 2. some sort of DOS based driver is required....
>

> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > "cables are good" [?]...should be as I have tried more than one
> > connector...
> >
> > As a matter of fact, I do have additional controller cards and serial port
> > adapter cards with the required ISA bus connections...I know I tried the
> > serial cards without success, don't remember if I tried a controller card
> > or
> > not, believe I did...the problem there could have been I didn't have the
> > jumpers on the motherboard set correctly?
> >
> > I WILL "let ...[you] know. THANKS
> >
> > "Haggis" wrote:
> >

> >> "MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.Home@My.Place> wrote in message

> >> ok , if the cables are good to the extender card (and , yes the com1 and
> >> com2 connectors to the MB are the same size:>)
> >>
> >> look for markings around the pins on the MB one end should be marked with
> >> "1" or a band of white to indicate which is pin 1.
> >>
> >> in device manager ...it should just say something like "communications
> >> port
> >> (com1)" you're right very generic...according to that , they should work.
> >>
> >> so maybe those drivers are needed , or the ports just don't
> >> function...don't
> >> suppose you have an old controller card you could pop in to supply
> >> another
> >> serial port ?
> >>
> >> let us know...

November 26, 2004 5:17:43 PM

good , let us know....all that 386 knowledge might be usefull someday! LOL

> Looks like we've almost gone full circle...when I return home, I will
> recheck
> the situation with the jumpers and attempt to load all drivers suggested
> on
> this forum including the DOS driver suggested by "Marius '95."
>
> To be cont'd.
>
> "Haggis" wrote:
>
>> if you bypassed using the onboard ports and tried a card with no
>> success...that brings you back to
>>
>> 1. maybe the jumpers were not correct on card
>> 2. some sort of DOS based driver is required....
>>

>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > "cables are good" [?]...should be as I have tried more than one
>> > connector...
>> >
>> > As a matter of fact, I do have additional controller cards and serial
>> > port
>> > adapter cards with the required ISA bus connections...I know I tried
>> > the
>> > serial cards without success, don't remember if I tried a controller
>> > card
>> > or
>> > not, believe I did...the problem there could have been I didn't have
>> > the
>> > jumpers on the motherboard set correctly?
>> >
>> > I WILL "let ...[you] know. THANKS

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 26, 2004 6:02:01 PM

Hmmmm - you shouldn't be able to plug in a serial connector other than one
way around. It's a double row of pins in an elongated 'D' shell. Since one
row is one pin longer than the other, it's simply not possible to plug it in
the wrong way around.

Unless you're talking about connecting the backplane connector panel to the
motherboard with a short length of ribbon cable - in that case only the
motherboard documentation can reliably indicate which way round it should
be.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> Yes the cable is plugged into the motherboard as opposed to a controller
> card..."right spot (pins lined up and in the right direction)," on that I
> can
> only tell you that since I could'nt determine the #1 pin, I have plugged
> the
> cable in both ways possible into both the COM1 and COM2 ports...[for the
> record I've never "played" with a 386 before now].
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 26, 2004 6:03:14 PM

I would expect one or two COM ports and one LPT port. There's not much
detail - just the driver details and the resources.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> The serial ports are physically on the motherboard...with regard to your
> second qustion, I'm going on memory now as I won't have access to the
> computer till I return home after the first of the week, but I have
> checked
> in Device Manager and I was puzzled by the entry, i.e. both a COM port and
> an
> LPT were listed, but double clicking for properties yielded something very
> generic, essentially no properties? I'll look at it again when I can and
> report back with more specifics if indicated. Thanks for the help [stay
> posted?]
November 26, 2004 6:03:15 PM

That's what I was alluding to, I don't recall any "driver details" even
though I did install three drivers manually...

"Jeff Richards" wrote:

> I would expect one or two COM ports and one LPT port. There's not much
> detail - just the driver details and the resources.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The serial ports are physically on the motherboard...with regard to your
> > second qustion, I'm going on memory now as I won't have access to the
> > computer till I return home after the first of the week, but I have
> > checked
> > in Device Manager and I was puzzled by the entry, i.e. both a COM port and
> > an
> > LPT were listed, but double clicking for properties yielded something very
> > generic, essentially no properties? I'll look at it again when I can and
> > report back with more specifics if indicated. Thanks for the help [stay
> > posted?]

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 26, 2004 6:20:55 PM

Copy / extract CTMOUSE.COM to \Windows\ or \Windows\Command\ directory and:

Add CTMOUSE to autoexec.bat file.

OR

Press F8 just before "Starting Windows 95..." appears on the screen and
choose "Safe mode command prompt only".
Load the mouse driver. (Type CTMOUSE [enter])
Start windows. (Type WIN [enter])
November 27, 2004 6:51:01 PM

Thanks for the reply to my inquiry about your tip...I intend to implement it

"Marius '95" wrote:

> Copy / extract CTMOUSE.COM to \Windows\ or \Windows\Command\ directory and:
>
> Add CTMOUSE to autoexec.bat file.
>
> OR
>
> Press F8 just before "Starting Windows 95..." appears on the screen and
> choose "Safe mode command prompt only".
> Load the mouse driver. (Type CTMOUSE [enter])
> Start windows. (Type WIN [enter])

November 30, 2004 1:17:04 AM

Update: Documentation for the motherboard references "Programming the Serial
Ports...must be initialized...utilizing the DOS MODE command...MUST BE
PERFORMED EACH TIME you turn on the computer." Disabled serial ports on the
motherboard using the jumpers/documentation...added serial ports with an ISA
bus adapter card...COM ports are now recognized in Device Manager, I was
prompted to install drivers for.

To date have loaded/installed serial mouse drivers from Microsoft from the
system disk, CTMouse drivers per "Marius '95" and "Logitech" serial mouse
drivers, the latter only because this mouse seemed to work with that
particular driver on another of these old computers [different motherboard].
No mouse recognition by Windows...

I experienced difficulty with two sources of drivers that were recommended:
the "A4 Tech drivers @ http://www.ntcompatible.com/story781.html [Haggis]
required a "language" [Chinese?] accomodation, which I foolishly [?] allowed
out of frustration and "something" downloaded on my online desktop, but I
don't know what or where...the "Genius Mouse Windows 95/98 Driver Download -
(8/20/1996)" by "KYE Int'l," [Haggis?/Bingley] yielded only an
"em+west.exe/EasyMouse/Windows 95" driver...not what I was pointed to.

I guess I have nothing to lose in trying the alternate driver from
"DownSeek,"...doesn't work...loaded without a hitch, but I continue to have a
"yellow exclamation mark" for this mouse/driver combination in Device Manager
as with all others that have loaded/installed...Device Manager indicated the
device is not attached...or properly installed, I don't recall the exact
verbiage...

I give up [?], perhaps "Haggis" hinting that this academic exercise might
just be a waste of time with his "all that 386 knowledge might be useful
someday!" is probably right...THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE INPUT...I probably
won't give up, so if there are any more suggestions/questions, I'll be
checking...Ron

"Haggis" wrote:

> good , let us know....all that 386 knowledge might be usefull someday! LOL
>

> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Looks like we've almost gone full circle...when I return home, I will
> > recheck
> > the situation with the jumpers and attempt to load all drivers suggested
> > on
> > this forum including the DOS driver suggested by "Marius '95."
> >
> > To be cont'd.
> >
> > "Haggis" wrote:
> >
> >> if you bypassed using the onboard ports and tried a card with no
> >> success...that brings you back to
> >>
> >> 1. maybe the jumpers were not correct on card
> >> 2. some sort of DOS based driver is required....
> >>

> >> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

November 30, 2004 11:22:21 AM

hey! you're making some headway :> sorry about the bad links ...didn't
check them (old)

so you have serial ports now...and it won't recognize any mouse drivers you
tried ?

at any point did it make an entry in the control panel for "mouse " ?

I'll see if can track down some good drivers for you :>

> Update: Documentation for the motherboard references "Programming the
> Serial
> Ports...must be initialized...utilizing the DOS MODE command...MUST BE
> PERFORMED EACH TIME you turn on the computer." Disabled serial ports on
> the
> motherboard using the jumpers/documentation...added serial ports with an
> ISA
> bus adapter card...COM ports are now recognized in Device Manager, I was
> prompted to install drivers for.
>
> To date have loaded/installed serial mouse drivers from Microsoft from the
> system disk, CTMouse drivers per "Marius '95" and "Logitech" serial mouse
> drivers, the latter only because this mouse seemed to work with that
> particular driver on another of these old computers [different
> motherboard].
> No mouse recognition by Windows...
>
> I experienced difficulty with two sources of drivers that were
> recommended:
> the "A4 Tech drivers @ http://www.ntcompatible.com/story781.html [Haggis]
> required a "language" [Chinese?] accomodation, which I foolishly [?]
> allowed
> out of frustration and "something" downloaded on my online desktop, but I
> don't know what or where...the "Genius Mouse Windows 95/98 Driver
> Download -
> (8/20/1996)" by "KYE Int'l," [Haggis?/Bingley] yielded only an
> "em+west.exe/EasyMouse/Windows 95" driver...not what I was pointed to.
>
> I guess I have nothing to lose in trying the alternate driver from
> "DownSeek,"...doesn't work...loaded without a hitch, but I continue to
> have a
> "yellow exclamation mark" for this mouse/driver combination in Device
> Manager
> as with all others that have loaded/installed...Device Manager indicated
> the
> device is not attached...or properly installed, I don't recall the exact
> verbiage...
>
> I give up [?], perhaps "Haggis" hinting that this academic exercise might
> just be a waste of time with his "all that 386 knowledge might be useful
> someday!" is probably right...THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE INPUT...I
> probably
> won't give up, so if there are any more suggestions/questions, I'll be
> checking...Ron
>
> "Haggis" wrote:
>
>> good , let us know....all that 386 knowledge might be usefull someday!
>> LOL
>>

>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Looks like we've almost gone full circle...when I return home, I will
>> > recheck
>> > the situation with the jumpers and attempt to load all drivers
>> > suggested
>> > on
>> > this forum including the DOS driver suggested by "Marius '95."
>> >
>> > To be cont'd.

November 30, 2004 11:22:22 AM

If I am not mistaken, there has always been "an entry in the control panel
for 'mouse'." Just rechecked, and yes, not only is there an entry/icon for
the mouse, but under the "General" tab [Properties] it correctly lists the
"Genius Easy Mouse+(Serial)" that I last loaded??? So what do you make of
that?

"Haggis" wrote:

> hey! you're making some headway :> sorry about the bad links ...didn't
> check them (old)
>
> so you have serial ports now...and it won't recognize any mouse drivers you
> tried ?
>
> at any point did it make an entry in the control panel for "mouse " ?
>
> I'll see if can track down some good drivers for you :>
>

> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Update: Documentation for the motherboard references "Programming the
> > Serial
> > Ports...must be initialized...utilizing the DOS MODE command...MUST BE
> > PERFORMED EACH TIME you turn on the computer." Disabled serial ports on
> > the
> > motherboard using the jumpers/documentation...added serial ports with an
> > ISA
> > bus adapter card...COM ports are now recognized in Device Manager, I was
> > prompted to install drivers for.
> >
> > To date have loaded/installed serial mouse drivers from Microsoft from the
> > system disk, CTMouse drivers per "Marius '95" and "Logitech" serial mouse
> > drivers, the latter only because this mouse seemed to work with that
> > particular driver on another of these old computers [different
> > motherboard].
> > No mouse recognition by Windows...
> >
> > I experienced difficulty with two sources of drivers that were
> > recommended:
> > the "A4 Tech drivers @ http://www.ntcompatible.com/story781.html [Haggis]
> > required a "language" [Chinese?] accomodation, which I foolishly [?]
> > allowed
> > out of frustration and "something" downloaded on my online desktop, but I
> > don't know what or where...the "Genius Mouse Windows 95/98 Driver
> > Download -
> > (8/20/1996)" by "KYE Int'l," [Haggis?/Bingley] yielded only an
> > "em+west.exe/EasyMouse/Windows 95" driver...not what I was pointed to.
> >
> > I guess I have nothing to lose in trying the alternate driver from
> > "DownSeek,"...doesn't work...loaded without a hitch, but I continue to
> > have a
> > "yellow exclamation mark" for this mouse/driver combination in Device
> > Manager
> > as with all others that have loaded/installed...Device Manager indicated
> > the
> > device is not attached...or properly installed, I don't recall the exact
> > verbiage...
> >
> > I give up [?], perhaps "Haggis" hinting that this academic exercise might
> > just be a waste of time with his "all that 386 knowledge might be useful
> > someday!" is probably right...THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE INPUT...I
> > probably
> > won't give up, so if there are any more suggestions/questions, I'll be
> > checking...Ron
> >
> > "Haggis" wrote:
> >
> >> good , let us know....all that 386 knowledge might be usefull someday!
> >> LOL
> >>

> >> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

November 30, 2004 11:28:05 AM

<snip>
>> Update: Documentation for the motherboard references "Programming the
>> Serial
>> Ports...must be initialized...utilizing the DOS MODE command...MUST BE
>> PERFORMED EACH TIME you turn on the computer." Disabled serial ports on
</snip>

have a look at this link

http://www.input-drivers.com/companies/430.htm

check for the DOS or win95/DOS drivers there are a couple you can try...

BTW I put together an old 486SX20 not that long ago ....kinda fun :>

good luck!

(you might want to boot into safe mode now and again and make sure you don't
have a bunch of "ghost" devices installed while you are playing with this)
November 30, 2004 2:49:55 PM

well , that would indicate that the drivers successfully loaded (good and
bad :>)
and still no response from mouse? (no other errors in control
panel? )probably means your mouse is not an "easy mouse" ...
check com1 properties> resources for IRQ 4 and IO starting at 03F8

(you said you tried that mouse on another system?)

I guess now is the fun part...trying to find the right driver set that will
work with that mouse!

> [...]
>> > "DownSeek,"...doesn't work...loaded without a hitch, but I continue to
>> > have a
>> > "yellow exclamation mark" for this mouse/driver combination in Device
>> > Manager
>> > as with all others that have loaded/installed...Device Manager
>> > indicated
>> > the
>> > device is not attached...or properly installed, I don't recall the
>> > exact
>> > verbiage...
>> >
>> > I give up [?], perhaps "Haggis" hinting that this academic exercise
>> > might
>> > just be a waste of time with his "all that 386 knowledge might be
>> > useful
>> > someday!" is probably right...THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE INPUT...I
>> > probably
>> > won't give up, so if there are any more suggestions/questions, I'll be

November 30, 2004 2:49:56 PM

"no other errors in control panel," by any chance do you mean Device Manager?
There in addition to the "yellow exclamation mark" for the mouse driver
there is one other for the "Printer Port (LPT1)...

haven't had a chance to download/install other drivers just yet, but I will
be doing so...

"Haggis" wrote:

> well , that would indicate that the drivers successfully loaded (good and
> bad :>)
> and still no response from mouse? (no other errors in control
> panel? )probably means your mouse is not an "easy mouse" ...
> check com1 properties> resources for IRQ 4 and IO starting at 03F8
>
> (you said you tried that mouse on another system?)
>

> I guess now is the fun part...trying to find the right driver set that will
> work with that mouse!
>

> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If I am not mistaken, there has always been "an entry in the control panel
> > for 'mouse'." Just rechecked, and yes, not only is there an entry/icon
> > for
> > the mouse, but under the "General" tab [Properties] it correctly lists the
> > "Genius Easy Mouse+(Serial)" that I last loaded??? So what do you make of
> > that?
> >
> > "Haggis" wrote:
> >
> >> hey! you're making some headway :> sorry about the bad links ...didn't
> >> check them (old)
> >>
> >> so you have serial ports now...and it won't recognize any mouse drivers
> >> you
> >> tried ?
> >>
> >> at any point did it make an entry in the control panel for "mouse " ?
> >>
> >> I'll see if can track down some good drivers for you :>
> >>

> >> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

November 30, 2004 5:28:05 PM

oops , yes :> thinking one thing ..typing another

yellow error on "mouse" and not "com1" ? thats driver problem....

on lpt1? check the resources tab for lpt1 to see where the conflict is..what
are the resources?

> "no other errors in control panel," by any chance do you mean Device
> Manager?
> There in addition to the "yellow exclamation mark" for the mouse driver
> there is one other for the "Printer Port (LPT1)...
>
> haven't had a chance to download/install other drivers just yet, but I
> will
> be doing so...
>
> "Haggis" wrote:
>
>> well , that would indicate that the drivers successfully loaded (good and
>> bad :>)
>> and still no response from mouse? (no other errors in control
>> panel? )probably means your mouse is not an "easy mouse" ...
>> check com1 properties> resources for IRQ 4 and IO starting at 03F8
>>
>> (you said you tried that mouse on another system?)
>>

>> I guess now is the fun part...trying to find the right driver set that
>> will
>> work with that mouse!
>>

>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > If I am not mistaken, there has always been "an entry in the control
>> > panel
>> > for 'mouse'." Just rechecked, and yes, not only is there an entry/icon
>> > for
>> > the mouse, but under the "General" tab [Properties] it correctly lists
>> > the
>> > "Genius Easy Mouse+(Serial)" that I last loaded??? So what do you make
>> > of
>> > that?

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2004 11:52:22 AM

Now that the serial port drivers are installed and working you should go
back and double check the orientation of the motherboard headers for the
serial port connector. I wouldn't waste too much time looking for the
proper mouse driver - a serial mouse should be recognised and standard
Windows drivers (without any additional features) installed more-or-less
automatically if a mouse is identified. The comment about the need to
initialise the port from DOS is correct but not relevant - serial ports
always need to be initialized before they can do anything, but Windows looks
after that for you. IIRC the control panel mouse applet is there
regardless of whether or not a mouse was found. Boot to safe mode and
remove all mice drivers you find, and reboot. Is the original "No mouse
detected" message still appearing?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> [...]
>> > "DownSeek,"...doesn't work...loaded without a hitch, but I continue to
>> > have a
>> > "yellow exclamation mark" for this mouse/driver combination in Device
>> > Manager
>> > as with all others that have loaded/installed...Device Manager
>> > indicated
>> > the
>> > device is not attached...or properly installed, I don't recall the
>> > exact
>> > verbiage...
>> >
>> > I give up [?], perhaps "Haggis" hinting that this academic exercise
>> > might
>> > just be a waste of time with his "all that 386 knowledge might be
>> > useful
>> > someday!" is probably right...THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE INPUT...I
>> > probably
>> > won't give up, so if there are any more suggestions/questions, I'll be

December 1, 2004 11:52:23 AM

GENTLEMEN, WE HAVE A MOUSE!

I'll provide todays laugh at my expense...this AM I pulled down the other
two computers of this vintage that I had already put together, one a 386, the
other a 486 AND ON WHICH THE "GENIUS" MOUSE PREVIOUSLY WORKED [the intent was
to see which drivers had previously worked], ONLY TODAY IT DID NOT. I have
scrounged around and obtained another serial mouse [Kensington] and it
"worked on the 486, so I showed it to the 386 that we have all been laboring
over for so long, some longer than others [me] and after a cable positioning
shift with regard to its connection/orientation of the motherboard, as I
indicated above, WE have a mouse...now wasn't that fun!

THANKS TO ALL WHO GAVE ME THE ENCOURAGEMENT/SUPPORT TO PURSUE THIS ACADEMIC
VENTURE...I REALLY LIKE GETTING CLOSURE ON MY PROJECTS!!!

"Jeff Richards" wrote:

> Now that the serial port drivers are installed and working you should go
> back and double check the orientation of the motherboard headers for the
> serial port connector. I wouldn't waste too much time looking for the
> proper mouse driver - a serial mouse should be recognised and standard
> Windows drivers (without any additional features) installed more-or-less
> automatically if a mouse is identified. The comment about the need to
> initialise the port from DOS is correct but not relevant - serial ports
> always need to be initialized before they can do anything, but Windows looks
> after that for you. IIRC the control panel mouse applet is there
> regardless of whether or not a mouse was found. Boot to safe mode and
> remove all mice drivers you find, and reboot. Is the original "No mouse
> detected" message still appearing?
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If I am not mistaken, there has always been "an entry in the control panel
> > for 'mouse'." Just rechecked, and yes, not only is there an entry/icon
> > for
> > the mouse, but under the "General" tab [Properties] it correctly lists the
> > "Genius Easy Mouse+(Serial)" that I last loaded??? So what do you make of
> > that?
> >
> > "Haggis" wrote:
> >
> >> hey! you're making some headway :> sorry about the bad links ...didn't
> >> check them (old)
> >>
> >> so you have serial ports now...and it won't recognize any mouse drivers
> >> you
> >> tried ?
> >>
> >> at any point did it make an entry in the control panel for "mouse " ?
> >>
> >> I'll see if can track down some good drivers for you :>
> >>

> >> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2004 7:10:33 PM

Congratulations on getting it fixed, and thanks for letting us know.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D C1B8648-F598-4D70-9E6C-D1AC39078BF7@microsoft.com...
> GENTLEMEN, WE HAVE A MOUSE!
>
> I'll provide todays laugh at my expense...this AM I pulled down the other
> two computers of this vintage that I had already put together, one a 386,
> the
> other a 486 AND ON WHICH THE "GENIUS" MOUSE PREVIOUSLY WORKED [the intent
> was
> to see which drivers had previously worked], ONLY TODAY IT DID NOT. I
> have
> scrounged around and obtained another serial mouse [Kensington] and it
> "worked on the 486, so I showed it to the 386 that we have all been
> laboring
> over for so long, some longer than others [me] and after a cable
> positioning
> shift with regard to its connection/orientation of the motherboard, as I
> indicated above, WE have a mouse...now wasn't that fun!
>
> THANKS TO ALL WHO GAVE ME THE ENCOURAGEMENT/SUPPORT TO PURSUE THIS
> ACADEMIC
> VENTURE...I REALLY LIKE GETTING CLOSURE ON MY PROJECTS!!!
>

> "Jeff Richards" wrote:
>
>> Now that the serial port drivers are installed and working you should go
>> back and double check the orientation of the motherboard headers for the
>> serial port connector. I wouldn't waste too much time looking for the
>> proper mouse driver - a serial mouse should be recognised and standard
>> Windows drivers (without any additional features) installed more-or-less
>> automatically if a mouse is identified. The comment about the need to
>> initialise the port from DOS is correct but not relevant - serial ports
>> always need to be initialized before they can do anything, but Windows
>> looks
>> after that for you. IIRC the control panel mouse applet is there
>> regardless of whether or not a mouse was found. Boot to safe mode and
>> remove all mice drivers you find, and reboot. Is the original "No mouse
>> detected" message still appearing?
>> --
>> Jeff Richards
>> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > If I am not mistaken, there has always been "an entry in the control
>> > panel
>> > for 'mouse'." Just rechecked, and yes, not only is there an entry/icon
>> > for
>> > the mouse, but under the "General" tab [Properties] it correctly lists
>> > the
>> > "Genius Easy Mouse+(Serial)" that I last loaded??? So what do you make
>> > of
>> > that?

December 1, 2004 7:10:34 PM

LOL now time to build a 286!