Serial Mouse

Ron

I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except the
serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any suggestions/fixes
would be most appreciated. Thanks
--
Ron

Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports are
working?

"Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
> motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except the
> serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any
> suggestions/fixes
> would be most appreciated. Thanks
> --
> Ron

Ron

Part of my problem has had to do with the BIOS on this particular
motherboard. It is the "386SX Modular BIOS/Copyright (c) 1984-90 Award
Software, Inc."

Probably is just me not knowing how, but the BIOS setup only addresses:
Date/Time/Diskettes/HDs/Video/Memory/Error Halt/Shadow RAM/Speed Select and
nothing else that I can access. By any chance are you familiar with this
particular BIOS? If so, perhaps you can tell me just how to determine if the
serial ports are indeed working? Thanks for your response.

"Richard Goh" wrote:

> Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports are
> working?
>
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
> > motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except the
> > serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any
> > suggestions/fixes
> > would be most appreciated. Thanks
> > --
> > Ron

HAGGIS

"Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports are
> working?
>
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
>> motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except
>> the
>> serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any
>> suggestions/fixes
>> would be most appreciated. Thanks
>> --
>> Ron

try installing this driver (after checking BIOS :> ) I've had good luck
with it (enables scroll in win95 )

HAGGIS

"Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports are
> working?
>
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
>> motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except
>> the
>> serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any
>> suggestions/fixes
>> would be most appreciated. Thanks
>> --
>> Ron

oops :>

http://www.ntcompatible.com/print781.html

Ron

I'll try this as soon as I am able and get back to you. Due to time
constraints/the holiday where I am to be out of town, it may be next week
before I get a chance to evaluate. Thanks for your response.

"Haggis" wrote:

> "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> > Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports are
> > working?
> >
> > "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
> >> motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except
> >> the
> >> serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any
> >> suggestions/fixes
> >> would be most appreciated. Thanks
> >> --
> >> Ron
> >

> oops :>
>
> http://www.ntcompatible.com/print781.html

HAGGIS

I believe this is your bios , i don't see any settings for serial ports
tho....its an oldie for sure :>

http://www.phoenix.com/NR/rdonlyres/EEB89E24-3EA7-46F0-84F9-3A428F8F6CA8/0/biosawardgeneric.pdf
(watch out for word wrapping )

do you see a "com1" under control panel>system>ports ?

if so , we'll assume its there ....are you using a generic type serial mouse
or some branded type?

when you get a chance try that driver link...

Ron

Looks to indeed be the correct BIOS and yes, this is an oldie...I discoverd a
cache of old motherboards/towers/adapter cards, etc. [all new in-the-box] and
put a few of them together just for the experience.

The mouse is a "Genius" serial mouse...works fine on the other computers I
referred to...same operating system.

I'll post a reply as to the result after I get a chance to "try that driver
link."

Thanks for the continued support!

"Haggis" wrote:

> I believe this is your bios , i don't see any settings for serial ports
> tho....its an oldie for sure :>
>

> http://www.phoenix.com/NR/rdonlyres/EEB89E24-3EA7-46F0-84F9-3A428F8F6CA8/0/biosawardgeneric.pdf
> (watch out for word wrapping )
>

> do you see a "com1" under control panel>system>ports ?
>
> if so , we'll assume its there ....are you using a generic type serial mouse
> or some branded type?
>
> when you get a chance try that driver link...

HAGGIS

somebody always chimes in eventually :> not much traffic here , but a few
still look when we get a minute...

maybe this will help "Genius Mouse Windows 95/98 Driver Download "

http://www.downseek.com/download/14318.asp

cheers!

--
David Bingley
Dartmouth,N.S.

> Looks to indeed be the correct BIOS and yes, this is an oldie...I
> discoverd a
> cache of old motherboards/towers/adapter cards, etc. [all new in-the-box]
> and
> put a few of them together just for the experience.
>
> The mouse is a "Genius" serial mouse...works fine on the other computers I
> referred to...same operating system.
>
> I'll post a reply as to the result after I get a chance to "try that
> driver
> link."
>
> Thanks for the continued support!
>
> "Haggis" wrote:
>
>> I believe this is your bios , i don't see any settings for serial ports
>> tho....its an oldie for sure :>
>>

>> http://www.phoenix.com/NR/rdonlyres/EEB89E24-3EA7-46F0-84F9-3A428F8F6CA8/0/biosawardgeneric.pdf
>> (watch out for word wrapping )
>>

>> do you see a "com1" under control panel>system>ports ?
>>
>> if so , we'll assume its there ....are you using a generic type serial
>> mouse
>> or some branded type?
>>
>> when you get a chance try that driver link...

If your serial ports are not on the motherboard then they won't be part of
the BIOS. Does Windows list the serial ports as installed and working in
device manager?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> Part of my problem has had to do with the BIOS on this particular
> motherboard. It is the "386SX Modular BIOS/Copyright (c) 1984-90 Award
> Software, Inc."
>
> Probably is just me not knowing how, but the BIOS setup only addresses:
> Date/Time/Diskettes/HDs/Video/Memory/Error Halt/Shadow RAM/Speed Select
> and
> nothing else that I can access. By any chance are you familiar with this
> particular BIOS? If so, perhaps you can tell me just how to determine if
> the
> serial ports are indeed working? Thanks for your response.
>
> "Richard Goh" wrote:
>
>> Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports
>> are
>> working?
>>
>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have put together a computer based on a "Dynova 80386 SX RO2"
>> > motherboard...loaded Windows 95 [4.00.950] and everything works except
>> > the
>> > serial mouse, i.e. Windows does not "see" the mouse...any
>> > suggestions/fixes
>> > would be most appreciated. Thanks
>> > --
>> > Ron

HAGGIS

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> If your serial ports are not on the motherboard then they won't be part of
> the BIOS. Does Windows list the serial ports as installed and working in
> device manager?
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Part of my problem has had to do with the BIOS on this particular
>> motherboard. It is the "386SX Modular BIOS/Copyright (c) 1984-90 Award
>> Software, Inc."
>>
>> Probably is just me not knowing how, but the BIOS setup only addresses:
>> Date/Time/Diskettes/HDs/Video/Memory/Error Halt/Shadow RAM/Speed Select
>> and
>> nothing else that I can access. By any chance are you familiar with this
>> particular BIOS? If so, perhaps you can tell me just how to determine if
>> the
>> serial ports are indeed working? Thanks for your response.
>>
>> "Richard Goh" wrote:
>>
>>> Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports
>>> are
>>> working?
>>>
>>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

and the other thing..is the cable from the port plugged into the motherboard
in the right spot (pins lined up and in the right direction)
or is it a multifunction card with a serial port on it ?

heh heh been awhile since i played with a 386 :>

Ron

Good, something else for me to try when I get home...on the road just now.
I'll reply after I've had a chance to evaluate...and keep everyone who has
been willing to assist appraised on my progress...

"Haggis" wrote:

> somebody always chimes in eventually :> not much traffic here , but a few
> still look when we get a minute...
>
> maybe this will help "Genius Mouse Windows 95/98 Driver Download "
>
> http://www.downseek.com/download/14318.asp
>
> cheers!
>

> --
> David Bingley
> Dartmouth,N.S.
> MIS/IT/IS yada yada
>

> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Looks to indeed be the correct BIOS and yes, this is an oldie...I
> > discoverd a
> > cache of old motherboards/towers/adapter cards, etc. [all new in-the-box]
> > and
> > put a few of them together just for the experience.
> >
> > The mouse is a "Genius" serial mouse...works fine on the other computers I
> > referred to...same operating system.
> >
> > I'll post a reply as to the result after I get a chance to "try that
> > driver
> > link."
> >
> > Thanks for the continued support!
> >
> > "Haggis" wrote:
> >
> >> I believe this is your bios , i don't see any settings for serial ports
> >> tho....its an oldie for sure :>
> >>

> >> http://www.phoenix.com/NR/rdonlyres/EEB89E24-3EA7-46F0-84F9-3A428F8F6CA8/0/biosawardgeneric.pdf
> >> (watch out for word wrapping )
> >>

> >> do you see a "com1" under control panel>system>ports ?
> >>
> >> if so , we'll assume its there ....are you using a generic type serial
> >> mouse
> >> or some branded type?
> >>
> >> when you get a chance try that driver link...

Ron

The serial ports are physically on the motherboard...with regard to your
second qustion, I'm going on memory now as I won't have access to the
computer till I return home after the first of the week, but I have checked
in Device Manager and I was puzzled by the entry, i.e. both a COM port and an
LPT were listed, but double clicking for properties yielded something very
generic, essentially no properties? I'll look at it again when I can and
report back with more specifics if indicated. Thanks for the help [stay
posted?]

"Jeff Richards" wrote:

> If your serial ports are not on the motherboard then they won't be part of
> the BIOS. Does Windows list the serial ports as installed and working in
> device manager?
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Part of my problem has had to do with the BIOS on this particular
> > motherboard. It is the "386SX Modular BIOS/Copyright (c) 1984-90 Award
> > Software, Inc."
> >
> > Probably is just me not knowing how, but the BIOS setup only addresses:
> > Date/Time/Diskettes/HDs/Video/Memory/Error Halt/Shadow RAM/Speed Select
> > and
> > nothing else that I can access. By any chance are you familiar with this
> > particular BIOS? If so, perhaps you can tell me just how to determine if
> > the
> > serial ports are indeed working? Thanks for your response.
> >
> > "Richard Goh" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you double checked the BIOS setting to make sure the serial ports
> >> are
> >> working?
> >>
> >> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ron

Yes the cable is plugged into the motherboard as opposed to a controller
card..."right spot (pins lined up and in the right direction)," on that I can
only tell you that since I could'nt determine the #1 pin, I have plugged the
cable in both ways possible into both the COM1 and COM2 ports...[for the
record I've never "played" with a 386 before now].

"Haggis" wrote:

> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> > If your serial ports are not on the motherboard then they won't be part of
> > the BIOS. Does Windows list the serial ports as installed and working in
> > device manager?
> > --
> > Jeff Richards
> > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> > "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Part of my problem has had to do with the BIOS on this particular
> >> motherboard. It is the "386SX Modular BIOS/Copyright (c) 1984-90 Award
> >> Software, Inc."
> >>
> >> Probably is just me not knowing how, but the BIOS setup only addresses:
> >> Date/Time/Diskettes/HDs/Video/Memory/Error Halt/Shadow RAM/Speed Select
> >> and
> >> nothing else that I can access. By any chance are you familiar with this
> >> particular BIOS? If so, perhaps you can tell me just how to determine if
> >> the
> >> serial ports are indeed working? Thanks for your response.

> and the other thing..is the cable from the port plugged into the motherboard
> in the right spot (pins lined up and in the right direction)
> or is it a multifunction card with a serial port on it ?
>
> heh heh been awhile since i played with a 386 :>

"Ron" wrote

> The serial ports are physically on the motherboard...with regard to your
> second qustion, I'm going on memory now as I won't have access to the
> computer till I return home after the first of the week, but I have checked
> in Device Manager and I was puzzled by the entry, i.e. both a COM port and an
> LPT were listed, but double clicking for properties yielded something very
> generic, essentially no properties? I'll look at it again when I can and
> report back with more specifics if indicated. Thanks for the help [stay
> posted?]

I always find pictures and jumper tables to be a big help....

http://www.embeddedlogic.com/TH99/m/P-R/30101.htm

HAGGIS

"MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.Home@My.Place> wrote in message

> "Ron" wrote
>
>> The serial ports are physically on the motherboard...with regard to your
>> second qustion, I'm going on memory now as I won't have access to the
>> computer till I return home after the first of the week, but I have
>> checked
>> in Device Manager and I was puzzled by the entry, i.e. both a COM port
>> and an
>> LPT were listed, but double clicking for properties yielded something
>> very
>> generic, essentially no properties? I'll look at it again when I can and
>> report back with more specifics if indicated. Thanks for the help [stay
>> posted?]
>
> I always find pictures and jumper tables to be a big help....
>
> http://www.embeddedlogic.com/TH99/m/P-R/30101.htm

ok , if the cables are good to the extender card (and , yes the com1 and
com2 connectors to the MB are the same size:>)

look for markings around the pins on the MB one end should be marked with a
"1" or a band of white to indicate which is pin 1.

in device manager ...it should just say something like "communications port
(com1)" you're right very generic...according to that , they should work.

so maybe those drivers are needed , or the ports just don't function...don't
suppose you have an old controller card you could pop in to supply another
serial port ?

let us know...

Ron

Thanks for the input...I'll compare this information with what I have been
doing as soon as I get back home to the computer in question...

"MasterBlaster" wrote:

> "Ron" wrote
>
> > The serial ports are physically on the motherboard...with regard to your
> > second qustion, I'm going on memory now as I won't have access to the
> > computer till I return home after the first of the week, but I have checked
> > in Device Manager and I was puzzled by the entry, i.e. both a COM port and an
> > LPT were listed, but double clicking for properties yielded something very
> > generic, essentially no properties? I'll look at it again when I can and
> > report back with more specifics if indicated. Thanks for the help [stay
> > posted?]
>
> I always find pictures and jumper tables to be a big help....
>
> http://www.embeddedlogic.com/TH99/m/P-R/30101.htm

Try loading a mouse driver for MS-DOS before windows starts. CTMouse from
FreeDOS is the best i know.
If it works then windows is the problem. If it does not then you need
another controller.

Ron

"cables are good" [?]...should be as I have tried more than one connector...

As a matter of fact, I do have additional controller cards and serial port
adapter cards with the required ISA bus connections...I know I tried the
serial cards without success, don't remember if I tried a controller card or
not, believe I did...the problem there could have been I didn't have the
jumpers on the motherboard set correctly?

I WILL "let ...[you] know. THANKS

"Haggis" wrote:

> "MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.Home@My.Place> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ron" wrote
> >
> >> The serial ports are physically on the motherboard...with regard to your
> >> second qustion, I'm going on memory now as I won't have access to the
> >> computer till I return home after the first of the week, but I have
> >> checked
> >> in Device Manager and I was puzzled by the entry, i.e. both a COM port
> >> and an
> >> LPT were listed, but double clicking for properties yielded something
> >> very
> >> generic, essentially no properties? I'll look at it again when I can and
> >> report back with more specifics if indicated. Thanks for the help [stay
> >> posted?]
> >
> > I always find pictures and jumper tables to be a big help....
> >
> > http://www.embeddedlogic.com/TH99/m/P-R/30101.htm
> >

> ok , if the cables are good to the extender card (and , yes the com1 and
> com2 connectors to the MB are the same size:>)
>
> look for markings around the pins on the MB one end should be marked with a
> "1" or a band of white to indicate which is pin 1.
>
> in device manager ...it should just say something like "communications port
> (com1)" you're right very generic...according to that , they should work.
>
> so maybe those drivers are needed , or the ports just don't function...don't
> suppose you have an old controller card you could pop in to supply another
> serial port ?
>
> let us know...

Ron

At the risk of showing my ignorance, just exactly "how" do I "load[ing] a
mouse driver for MS-DOS before windows starts," some form of boot disk?
Anxious to try this as soon as I return home...first of the week...I intend
to try EVERYTHING that has been suggested on this forum until either
something works or it is determined I have defective hardware and no
go-around. Thanks for your input.

"Marius '95" wrote:

> Try loading a mouse driver for MS-DOS before windows starts. CTMouse from
> FreeDOS is the best i know.
> If it works then windows is the problem. If it does not then you need
> another controller.

HAGGIS

if you bypassed using the onboard ports and tried a card with no
success...that brings you back to

1. maybe the jumpers were not correct on card
2. some sort of DOS based driver is required....

> "cables are good" [?]...should be as I have tried more than one
> connector...
>
> As a matter of fact, I do have additional controller cards and serial port
> adapter cards with the required ISA bus connections...I know I tried the
> serial cards without success, don't remember if I tried a controller card
> or
> not, believe I did...the problem there could have been I didn't have the
> jumpers on the motherboard set correctly?
>
> I WILL "let ...[you] know. THANKS
>
> "Haggis" wrote:
>

>> "MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.Home@My.Place> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Ron" wrote

>> > I always find pictures and jumper tables to be a big help....
>> >
>> > http://www.embeddedlogic.com/TH99/m/P-R/30101.htm
>> >

>> ok , if the cables are good to the extender card (and , yes the com1 and
>> com2 connectors to the MB are the same size:>)
>>
>> look for markings around the pins on the MB one end should be marked with
>> "1" or a band of white to indicate which is pin 1.
>>
>> in device manager ...it should just say something like "communications
>> port
>> (com1)" you're right very generic...according to that , they should work.
>>
>> so maybe those drivers are needed , or the ports just don't
>> function...don't
>> suppose you have an old controller card you could pop in to supply
>> another
>> serial port ?
>>
>> let us know...

Ron

Looks like we've almost gone full circle...when I return home, I will recheck
the situation with the jumpers and attempt to load all drivers suggested on
this forum including the DOS driver suggested by "Marius '95."

To be cont'd.

"Haggis" wrote:

> if you bypassed using the onboard ports and tried a card with no
> success...that brings you back to
>
> 1. maybe the jumpers were not correct on card
> 2. some sort of DOS based driver is required....
>

> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > "cables are good" [?]...should be as I have tried more than one
> > connector...
> >
> > As a matter of fact, I do have additional controller cards and serial port
> > adapter cards with the required ISA bus connections...I know I tried the
> > serial cards without success, don't remember if I tried a controller card
> > or
> > not, believe I did...the problem there could have been I didn't have the
> > jumpers on the motherboard set correctly?
> >
> > I WILL "let ...[you] know. THANKS
> >
> > "Haggis" wrote:
> >

> >> "MasterBlaster" <Nobody's.Home@My.Place> wrote in message

> >> ok , if the cables are good to the extender card (and , yes the com1 and
> >> com2 connectors to the MB are the same size:>)
> >>
> >> look for markings around the pins on the MB one end should be marked with
> >> "1" or a band of white to indicate which is pin 1.
> >>
> >> in device manager ...it should just say something like "communications
> >> port
> >> (com1)" you're right very generic...according to that , they should work.
> >>
> >> so maybe those drivers are needed , or the ports just don't
> >> function...don't
> >> suppose you have an old controller card you could pop in to supply
> >> another
> >> serial port ?
> >>
> >> let us know...

HAGGIS

good , let us know....all that 386 knowledge might be usefull someday! LOL

> Looks like we've almost gone full circle...when I return home, I will
> recheck
> the situation with the jumpers and attempt to load all drivers suggested
> on
> this forum including the DOS driver suggested by "Marius '95."
>
> To be cont'd.
>
> "Haggis" wrote:
>
>> if you bypassed using the onboard ports and tried a card with no
>> success...that brings you back to
>>
>> 1. maybe the jumpers were not correct on card
>> 2. some sort of DOS based driver is required....
>>

>> "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > "cables are good" [?]...should be as I have tried more than one
>> > connector...
>> >
>> > As a matter of fact, I do have additional controller cards and serial
>> > port
>> > adapter cards with the required ISA bus connections...I know I tried
>> > the
>> > serial cards without success, don't remember if I tried a controller
>> > card
>> > or
>> > not, believe I did...the problem there could have been I didn't have
>> > the
>> > jumpers on the motherboard set correctly?
>> >
>> > I WILL "let ...[you] know. THANKS

Hmmmm - you shouldn't be able to plug in a serial connector other than one
way around. It's a double row of pins in an elongated 'D' shell. Since one
row is one pin longer than the other, it's simply not possible to plug it in
the wrong way around.

Unless you're talking about connecting the backplane connector panel to the
motherboard with a short length of ribbon cable - in that case only the
motherboard documentation can reliably indicate which way round it should
be.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> Yes the cable is plugged into the motherboard as opposed to a controller
> card..."right spot (pins lined up and in the right direction)," on that I
> can
> only tell you that since I could'nt determine the #1 pin, I have plugged
> the
> cable in both ways possible into both the COM1 and COM2 ports...[for the
> record I've never "played" with a 386 before now].

I would expect one or two COM ports and one LPT port. There's not much
detail - just the driver details and the resources.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)