fatal error 0D

Mac

Has anyone found a fix for the fatal error 0D problem? It seems to me that
messages posted about this problem were done just about the same time I
started having the problem. I was runnning a factory installed version of
Win98 on an older model Dell system. All updates to the OS were current. I
was wondering if any of the following factors could have contributed to the
problem:

I had tried to download v6.0 of Acrobat Reader from Adobe site but got a
message that the .exe file was corrupted
I had just installed McAfee VirusScan 8.0
I just uninstalled a beta version of an IM from Friendfinder

I cannot boot into either normal or safe mode. SFC cannot be run at the DOS
prompt and I cannot get to the desktop to run it. I was able to do a scanreg
and scandisk though. I also get a message upon loading crystalware fusion
that the file cannot be copied into XMS memory. I also get some error message
about VMM32 but it flashes too fast to read it.

HAGGIS

"Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone found a fix for the fatal error 0D problem? It seems to me that
> messages posted about this problem were done just about the same time I
> started having the problem. I was runnning a factory installed version of
> Win98 on an older model Dell system. All updates to the OS were current. I
> was wondering if any of the following factors could have contributed to
> the
> problem:
>
> I had tried to download v6.0 of Acrobat Reader from Adobe site but got a
> message that the .exe file was corrupted
> I had just installed McAfee VirusScan 8.0
> I just uninstalled a beta version of an IM from Friendfinder
>
> I cannot boot into either normal or safe mode. SFC cannot be run at the
> DOS
> prompt and I cannot get to the desktop to run it. I was able to do a
> scanreg
> and scandisk though. I also get a message upon loading crystalware fusion
> that the file cannot be copied into XMS memory. I also get some error
> message
> about VMM32 but it flashes too fast to read it.

did you try scanreg /restore ? lets you load a backup of the registry...

I don't think v6.0 acrobat will run on win98...try verion 5

you may get better response in microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion
....this is a win95 group :>

Mac

As already stated in my previous message, I had done a scanreg. Wether v6 of
Acrobat reader will run on Win98 is not the issue here.

"Haggis" wrote:

> "Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone found a fix for the fatal error 0D problem? It seems to me that
> > messages posted about this problem were done just about the same time I
> > started having the problem. I was runnning a factory installed version of
> > Win98 on an older model Dell system. All updates to the OS were current. I
> > was wondering if any of the following factors could have contributed to
> > the
> > problem:
> >
> > I had tried to download v6.0 of Acrobat Reader from Adobe site but got a
> > message that the .exe file was corrupted
> > I had just installed McAfee VirusScan 8.0
> > I just uninstalled a beta version of an IM from Friendfinder
> >
> > I cannot boot into either normal or safe mode. SFC cannot be run at the
> > DOS
> > prompt and I cannot get to the desktop to run it. I was able to do a
> > scanreg
> > and scandisk though. I also get a message upon loading crystalware fusion
> > that the file cannot be copied into XMS memory. I also get some error
> > message
> > about VMM32 but it flashes too fast to read it.
> >

> did you try scanreg /restore ? lets you load a backup of the registry...
>
> I don't think v6.0 acrobat will run on win98...try verion 5
>
> you may get better response in microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion
> ....this is a win95 group :>

HAGGIS

"done a scanreg" can mean many things :>

you mentioned installing and uninstalling programs.... if that is when the
problem started , I was trying to narrow down which install/unistall may
have corrupted your system .

after which install did the problem start ....

scroll to "0D" section ...does one of these apply ?

http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/fatlexer.htm

please post the contents of your config.sys and autoexec.bat

> As already stated in my previous message, I had done a scanreg. Wether v6
> of
> Acrobat reader will run on Win98 is not the issue here.
>
> "Haggis" wrote:
>

>> "Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Has anyone found a fix for the fatal error 0D problem? It seems to me
>> > that
>> > messages posted about this problem were done just about the same time I
>> > started having the problem. I was runnning a factory installed version
>> > of
>> > Win98 on an older model Dell system. All updates to the OS were
>> > current. I
>> > was wondering if any of the following factors could have contributed to
>> > the
>> > problem:
>> >
>> > I had tried to download v6.0 of Acrobat Reader from Adobe site but got
>> > message that the .exe file was corrupted
>> > I had just installed McAfee VirusScan 8.0
>> > I just uninstalled a beta version of an IM from Friendfinder
>> >
>> > I cannot boot into either normal or safe mode. SFC cannot be run at the
>> > DOS
>> > prompt and I cannot get to the desktop to run it. I was able to do a
>> > scanreg
>> > and scandisk though. I also get a message upon loading crystalware
>> > fusion
>> > that the file cannot be copied into XMS memory. I also get some error
>> > message
>> > about VMM32 but it flashes too fast to read it.
>> >

>> did you try scanreg /restore ? lets you load a backup of the registry...
>>
>> I don't think v6.0 acrobat will run on win98...try verion 5
>>
>> you may get better response in microsoft.public.win98.general.discussion
>> ....this is a win95 group :>

What is the error message (exactly) and when does it occur? What prevents
you from booting, or what exactly happens when you try? How far through the
boot process do you get?

There is not, AFAIK, any 'generic' 0D problem. I can't see any messages
about it recently in this newsgroup. Do you have a reference to where this
issue has recently been discussed?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)