RAM size for running programs in W95b?

Hi all,

How do I find out how much ram is available
for running a progam in W95b when just the
os and drivers are loaded before virtual
memory is needed in a 64M machine? Some
where I saw 18M free but that seemed
aufully small.

charles.....
2 answers Last reply
More about size running programs w95b

    "***** charles" <shultzjrX@joimail.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >How do I find out how much ram is available
    >for running a progam in W95b when just the
    >os and drivers are loaded before virtual
    >memory is needed in a 64M machine? Some
    >where I saw 18M free but that seemed
    >aufully small.
    >
    >charles.....

    The System Monitor utility that comes with Windows (Accessories -
    System Tools) will tell you this. Use Edit - Add to add new items to
    the reported data. Unused physical memory is in the Memory Manager
    section.

    Note that RAM usage includes disk cache and one of the weaknesses in
    Windows 95 is that it will sometimes build up a large disk cache and
    then fail to reduce it in size when other memory requirements come
    along. Therefore with Windows 95 (and only with Windows 95) it is
    generally advisable to limit the size of the disk cache to a maximum
    of 25% of the total RAM.

    You do this by adding the following line below the existing [vcache]
    section header in the system.ini file:

    MaxFileCache=16384

    (that is the value for 64 mb of RAM).

    Also note that one of the reporting functions in System Monitor is
    disk cache size.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    18Mb free is quite likely. When the program actually loads, Windows can
    usually make more RAM available if required by unloading unimportant stuff,
    and in any case virtual memory allows Windows to run programs that require
    more RAM than is actually available.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "***** charles" <shultzjrX@joimail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > How do I find out how much ram is available
    > for running a progam in W95b when just the
    > os and drivers are loaded before virtual
    > memory is needed in a 64M machine? Some
    > where I saw 18M free but that seemed
    > aufully small.
    >
    > charles.....