Mobo's with AGP & PCI-E

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • PCI Express
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
January 29, 2006 7:08:32 PM

I've picked up a few motherboards with both AGP and PCI-E on my radar. This is of course attractive to me, the soon-to-be-married-and-therefore-now-a-budget-gamer.

My current mobo is old and dying, though my otherhardware is pretty solid.

I don't have alot of cash availible, but if i get a new mobo, i want to upgrade to PCI-E and Athlon 64. but that would normally mean getting a new mobo, cpu AND graphics card. the latter being extreemly pricey :/ 

Seems these combination AGP & CPI-E mobo's are the answer. I can keep my old GF 6600 GT for a while and avoid selling my soul for a new card, i can afford to buy a mid-range CPU and upgrade later possibly, and i can afford the motherboard easily at a mere $62.

This is the one i'm looking into:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130493

So the question is, has anyone used these combo boards before? any serious problems? Performance issues? Stability problems?

If the AGP portion is a bit sluggish, i can probobly stomach that until i get a new PCI-E card, but when i finally do, i'd like the PCI-E portion to work at full tilt.

BTW: do all nforce 4 boards support dual-channel memory?

More about : mobo agp pci

January 30, 2006 8:19:05 AM

im sorry but socket 754 is already dead. go 939 and get a venice 3200(160). way better choice thats my plan.
January 30, 2006 8:39:45 AM

thanks a ton i forgot they had boards with agp on them and socket 939 :D  i can finnaly buy my stuff 237.98 cpu(venice 3200+) mobo(ecs socket 939 nforce 3 250(temporary)) heatsink(thermalright xp-90) yayyyyy.
Related resources
January 31, 2006 4:45:17 AM

yeah i took a look at the ASRock board reviewed by THG, looks like a better board. I've not kept up with CPU's much these days so thanks for the tip about the 754 being a bad choice. The ASRock board has quite a few nice features, such as the Serial ATAII, though i dont have a drive for that yet, it gives me that option.

Seems this board has quite a few options for upgrades... and its not too pricey either.

I can definately afford to take a small hit in performance for the money it will save me by allowing me to put off buying a new video card until much later.
February 2, 2006 4:10:41 PM

Is anyone using the Biostar TforceU board with the XGP slot? I am interested in using this board with a PNY 6800 card but have read some bad things about using a AGP card on this board (slow performance if the card works at all).
The other upgrade path is of course the ASrock board mentioned before. Lots of mixed reviews out there.
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2006 9:26:30 PM

Quote:
yeah i took a look at the ASRock board reviewed by THG, looks like a better board. I've not kept up with CPU's much these days so thanks for the tip about the 754 being a bad choice. The ASRock board has quite a few nice features, such as the Serial ATAII, though i dont have a drive for that yet, it gives me that option.

I am using that Asrock M/BD with an Opteron 148 OC'd to 2750 on stock HSF with an X 850 also OC'd to 600/600 on stock HSF. The PCI-E X 850 actually posts slightly lower scores than its AGP counter part. My machine will post 13852, 3DMark 2003 STABLE. I ran MS Flight sim 2004 all night at 1600 X 1200 and not a glich.[/img] 8)

Meant to post a link. Here it is.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASRock/939Dual-SATA2/
February 5, 2006 12:33:51 AM

Quote:
I am using that Asrock M/BD with an Opteron 148 OC'd to 2750 on stock HSF with an X 850 also OC'd to 600/600 on stock HSF. The PCI-E X 850 actually posts slightly lower scores than its AGP counter part. My machine will post 13852, 3DMark 2003 STABLE. I ran MS Flight sim 2004 all night at 1600 X 1200 and not a glich. Cool

Meant to post a link. Here it is.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASRock/939Dual-SATA2...
[/img]

OK all this stuff is new to me since I've been out of the scene for about two years (14 dog yrs). I have a great AGP ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 Pro video board I don't want to give up yet & 2GB of DDR400 RAM I'd like to keep. So far you guys have enlightened me with the fact that such a beast exists (AGP & PCI-e slots on the same Mobo). I want to burn my 2.8EGhz Intel CPU & 865GBF Mobo & switch over to AMD. I guess I'll go for the Socket 939 Athlon 64-X2 4800+. Not knowing about these Mobos & being that you gentlemen are in to this far more than I currently have been; should I go ASRock or is there something else? Can I keep my DDR400 RAM? Thanks in advance. :?
February 6, 2006 12:55:01 PM

I went to one of the last remnants of computer vending shows yesterday in NY & the vendors that knew something about a Mobo with AGP & PCI-E (btw, they didn't carry them) said they were to slow or they said that if there was such a Mobo it was an adapter conversion from PCI-E back to AGP & that it was very slow either way. They also said there would be incompatibilities with these Hybrid Mobos. They said all this when they weren't staring at me like I was some crazy Bast@rdo for asking a stupid question like (Do you have the ASRock Mobo or any other brand Mobo that has AGP & PCI-E on the Mobo?). for a moment I did feel stupid, then I realized that I probably knew more than these cretans since I fresh off of the internete after reading stuff here, THG & other sites. So I just walked away dissapointed. :( 
February 6, 2006 2:21:27 PM

Frankly, going to a tech show like that and expecting straight talk from the people working there is like going to a car salesman and expecting an honest and fair experience....never gonna happen. I have not grabbed the ASRock mobo yet that you talk about but I have done extensive reading online. What I can say from all this reading is that the ULi chipset used on this board (the only manufacturer to apparently take up the M1695 chipset) offers full AGP performance and full PCI-E performance (all other boards offering dual function use prior chipsets that show a significant hit in AGP performance).
The board has not been without its faults but it appears that the lastest bios (1.5) has improved things a lot but I do recommend checking the manufacturers site for RAM compatibility as this has been perhaps the most common gripe. This board does also offer future compatibility with the forthcoming M2 chip from AMD (via a daughter board so don't put too much faith in this ever showing up or impressing with quality performance). The only other issue of note is that the ASRock mobo has somewhat restricted OCing capability compared to some of the NF4 boards out there right now (but note their price in comparison to this!). Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.
February 6, 2006 2:37:17 PM

Thx Dekkard. You've been most helpful on this. I'm still looking to see if anyone else has any other suggestions other than ASRock Mobo cuz I've never put my eggs into one basket. So far it looks like this is the only candidate. I have to see if ASUS has anything comparible, cuz when I did stray from the intel Mobos in my past, ASUS never gave me any real problems. But this is going back & since I've been out of the upgrade scene for more than 2yrs, this may have changed. 8) It used to be that I was the one others came to for this type of advise. I'm glad the helpful torch was passed on to the right people & that the techy spark is still there. I come from back in the days when VESA LOCAL BUS was the shiz-nit, AMD was being sued by Intel for patent infringment, 486SX was the joke of the day, Pentium wasn't even a word yet & computer vending shows here on the east cost tri-state area (NY-NJ-CONNECTICUT) consisted of over 200+ vendors competing for your sale under one roof. Now I'm lucky if I catch a show by sheer luck with upto 10 vendors in some school's gymnasium. I see the vendors knowledge hasn't changed though. They know less than 20% of the knowledge we REAL tinkerers carry. I still like to go to COMPUSA to make fun of the newbie salespersons by playing dumb at first & then becoming increasingly knowledgeable all of a sudden, he-he-he...
:cry:  "The Good-ol Dayz".... :cry: 
February 6, 2006 2:52:54 PM

The Asrock board is the way to go! I just hooked my buddy up with one this weekend and it's nice! He has an evga 6800GT (AGP) with a 3200+ venice and 1GB (2x512) crucial.

We were able to load both XP64 and 32 but 64 didn't have drivers for some things so we just stuck with 32. No problems so far. He won't OC it but it works great at stock. Oh, and we did load the most recent bios.

I know somebody here does have an Asrock board. The guy with the shark avatar????
February 6, 2006 2:57:52 PM

I am a current owner of the mobo in question (ASRock 939Dual) and i have to say that im quite impressed. I havent had 1 problem with this board since i got it about 6 months ago. Another thing i really like, and im not sure if its the same with other motherboards, is that you can install windows to a SATA drive without needing to install drivers pre-setup. I also had a nice All In Wonder card that i didnt wanna get rid of (9800 Pro AIW) and i thought this was a good solution. All in all, i would say that this is a great board for bridging the gap between AGP and PCI-E, even if only for a short term.
February 6, 2006 3:22:52 PM

Well Suzukii you are in luck, the ASRock is actually owned and run by Asus - ASRock is their budget brand! I love to think back to the good ol' days of my Acorn Electron with 32k memory and loading everything up by tape....hell, I even did programming in those days - not that I knew my arse from my elbow!
Thanks for the comments Ellis, nice to hear that people are enjoying the mobo in question. I just upgraded my AGP video card on an athlonXP system and am now deliberating whether to go ASRock now or just hold out for a year. Need the money!! Unless anyone wants a 32k powerhouse computer ;)  ?????
February 6, 2006 3:32:30 PM

Quote:
EllisD420 Wrote: I also had a nice All In Wonder card that i didnt wanna get rid of (9800 Pro AIW) and i thought this was a good solution.

Thx EllisD420. I'm in the same situation as yourself. I, too, have an ATI AIW 9800Pro 128MB AGP 8x Vboard. This card cost me $350 almost 2 yrs ago & it's still kicking butt. For now I don't want to let go of this board cuz we're attached at the umbilical until I can make the switch to an SLI Mobo & ATI AIW SLI-Vboard (whichever that might be). Not only do I do heavy video capturing (family holidays) but every now & again I fire up Doom3, Quake4, My RealFlight Sim, & The newer Matrix game. This card doesn't flinch at 1024x768. I want to make the switch over to AMD 64 X2 4800+ because a few of my pals keep telling me that for video stuff like Pinnacle Studio & DVD burning this is the way to go cuz they've seen my frustrations :evil:  with my P4 2.Ghz Extreme, 865GBF Intel Mobo & 2GB RAM, Dual 400GB SATA Drives (no boot up drivers required). So no more Intel in my house after this (I hope 8O ).
February 7, 2006 2:15:20 PM

Now dont quote me on this, but im pretty sure that you can use both an AGP AND PCI-E cards at the same time with this board. Thats one thing that pushed me towards this board. Im going to pick up an x1900XT this week sometime and will give it a try. By chance, does anyone know of anyone who has successfully done this? It would be good to chat before i try incase there are any unknown hitches.
February 7, 2006 4:11:28 PM

Quote:
Im going to pick up an x1900XT this week sometime and will give it a try. By chance, does anyone know of anyone who has successfully done this?

If you could, buy the board from COMPUSA. This way if it doesn't work out you can return the board, no questions asked no hassles.
February 7, 2006 5:35:08 PM

Quote:
Now dont quote me on this, but im pretty sure that you can use both an AGP AND PCI-E cards at the same time with this board. Thats one thing that pushed me towards this board. Im going to pick up an x1900XT this week sometime and will give it a try. By chance, does anyone know of anyone who has successfully done this? It would be good to chat before i try incase there are any unknown hitches.

No, that's not correct. The board comes with stickers over each slot saying you can only use one at a time.
February 7, 2006 7:09:56 PM

Flyguy is right, this is not an alternative to an SLI setup for running 2 cards. I have read of people using (or at least intending to use) the video out of a second card for multi-display but I am not convinced you can even do this.
February 8, 2006 3:17:11 AM

I wouldn't intend on doing this because I have this capability now (a multi-monitor setup) & I don't do it. My Intel 865GBF Mobo came with built-in video, plus my ATI AIW-9800 Pro board has two video out sources. I did it once, whooped-dee-doo!!! It worked, then I took it all apart cuz I need all the extra desk space the other two monitors were taking up.
For now I have to concentrate on which Mobo to get. To ASRock or not...
February 8, 2006 3:32:48 AM

Quote:
Well Suzukii you are in luck, the ASRock is actually owned and run by Asus - ASRock is their budget brand!

To ASRock or not...
Well, I went to yet another local PC hardware vendor & when I mentioned ASRock, more negative stuff came out of yet another human being about this Mobo. They did carry them, but he said, "I'll sell it to ya, but don't call us for Tech Supp & good luck on trying to get Tech Supp from that crappy company who is trying to use ASUS as a means to sell their inferior Mobos". I was shocked & stunned 8O to hear this. He then educated me on the ASUS line of Mobo's, ABIT & DFI. In light of everything he told me, I would've still bought the ASRock mobo & the X2 4800+ CPU if only they would have let me return the items if they didn't workout for me. I asked anyways & he said, "No Forkin way pal!!!".
Like I said B4, once they have your dough you're only good until you hit the sidewalk with these Asian/Korean guys around these parts. Most of their return policies say "Return what? Mooo-ha-ha-ha-ha <i>(Dr. Evil Style)"</i> Mooo-ha-ha-ha-ha, Mooo-ha-ha-ha-ha, Mooo-ha-ha-ha-ha, R-i-g-h-t.
February 8, 2006 2:52:46 PM

Well I'm sorry to hear that. I know there are a lot of negative comments on the forums but the reviews have been generally favorable (even with the early bios versions that were problematic). I can't help feeling that the lack of alternative M1695 chipset boards suggests mobo manufacturers don't want this option floating around - they all want a complete and terminal transfer to PCI-E (of course it really could be that this chipset sux too!?). I wouldn't mind if PCI-E was really showing any performance benefits right now or even in the immediate future. As for your local store I would tell them to stick their PCI-E cards in another slot ;) 
Good luck with your mobo hunting!
Based on your other comments I can agree that SLI is not the way to go right now - I thought long and hard about getting the AN8-SLI and going that route but I don't have that kind of money to fritter away on something giving 5-30% performance gains.
February 8, 2006 3:05:35 PM

Quote:
Furthermore, an AGP graphics card can continue to be used even after the purchase of a PCIe model. Although no 3D performance increase is possible, it is certainly true that more displays can be operated simultaneously.

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2: With AGP and PCIe
Patrick Schmid, Achim Roos
16 Sep 2005 17:00

I wasnt really talking about an SLI type solution, just the fact that i would like to continue using the tv tuner feature in my all in wonder after i get a far superior PCI-E card. And with this mobo, i think you can. Ive seen in theory that you could have 1PCI-E, 1 AGP, and 1 pci card for 6 monitor support.
February 8, 2006 5:18:25 PM

ULI was gobbled up by nVidia. So now if you bag on ULI, his big brother NV is going to come knocking on your door packin.

From what I've seen the ASRock board seems pretty solid. I've considered it but my old XP 2600 M and NF7-S V2 still serves me well. Yeah, yeah...everybody point and laugh at the gimp!!!, but that mobile begs to be OC'd!!.

I hear those guys at the trade shows are forced to read a brochure on the product before their qualified to sell it.
February 8, 2006 11:11:29 PM

Quote:
ULI was gobbled up by nVidia. So now if you bag on ULI, his big brother NV is going to come knocking on your door packin.

I hear those guys at the trade shows are forced to read a brochure on the product before their qualified to sell it.

They do that much reading??? :o 
I thought all they had to read was just the print label on the outside shipping box of every product they sold. W-O-W!!!
February 12, 2006 4:41:44 AM

I've had the ASRock 939 Dual SATA for about a month now. Set up was simple and everything seems to be running well. It was quite the jump from a P4 2.26 on an MSI 655MAX FISR. Flashed the BIOS to 1.50 without problem. Also running the ULi unified drivers I think they're called.

Just make sure you install the AGP drivers for the board before installing your video drivers. I've heard of people having problems with bad performance if they do not.

Just running stock air cooling atm, but will be installing the Coolermaster Aquagate I have before any OCing. Looking forward to any additional performance boost I can tweak from it.
!