VPN with 2 ZyWall's

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am sure this has been addressed before but here goes my situation.

We want to setup up a VPN connection for an off site employee so that he can
access the files on the office Windows 2000 server running in Workgroup
mode.

We have 2, ZyWall 2X routers still in the box with our plan being to have
one at the office and the other at the remote site.

Office end:

T-1 with an ISP provided router running NAT

Windows 2000 Server in Workgroup mode with a private 192.168.0.x IP

DHCP running on the W2K supplying IP's to the office workstations.

We also have 3 spare, unused public IP's assigned to our account.

------------------------------

Off Site Employee:

Comcast cable modem with a simple hookup to his computer with no router or
hub.

I have read through the documentation that came with the ZyWall and I am
confused to say the least.

Can anyone provide me with some step by step guidance and setting up the
office end and hopefully I can then figure out the remote side.

Thanks

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bob:

We use a Zywall 10W at our main office and we love 'em.

I won't go into all the details of how to set up the office. Although
you should keep your DHCP on that Win2k server, you won't need to
adjust it to get the VPN to work between the 2 Zywalls.

Does that ISP's router does have IPSEC passthrough functionality ?
That simply allows IPSEC protocols to go through the router
unaffected. If it doesn't you can use NAT

Zyxel has a lot of good documentation on various setup scenarios.
Their instructions for setting up 2 Zywalls back to back are here:
http://www.zyxel.com/support/supportnote/zywall2_2WE/index_f.php

Click on
"IPSec VPN Application Notes"

Click on
"Using ZyWALL IPSec VPN" (the section for Zywall to Zywall config.)

Scroll down, then click on "Secure Gateway to Secure Gateway."

Follow the instruction and the screenshots VERY carefully. It's
incredibly easy to miss one of the items, especially since many of
them look the same.

That should get you most of the way there. Let us know how you make
out, and I'll try to help you out further if I can next time you post.

Brad

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:36:25 GMT, "Bob" <bentcil@netscape.net> wrote:

>I am sure this has been addressed before but here goes my situation.
>

>We want to setup up a VPN connection for an off site employee so that he can
>access the files on the office Windows 2000 server running in Workgroup
>mode.
>

>We have 2, ZyWall 2X routers still in the box with our plan being to have
>one at the office and the other at the remote site.
>

>Office end:
>

>T-1 with an ISP provided router running NAT
>

>Windows 2000 Server in Workgroup mode with a private 192.168.0.x IP
>

>DHCP running on the W2K supplying IP's to the office workstations.
>

>We also have 3 spare, unused public IP's assigned to our account.
>

>------------------------------
>

>Off Site Employee:
>

>Comcast cable modem with a simple hookup to his computer with no router or
>hub.
>

>I have read through the documentation that came with the ZyWall and I am
>confused to say the least.
>

>Can anyone provide me with some step by step guidance and setting up the
>office end and hopefully I can then figure out the remote side.
>

>Thanks

I've heard from other Comcast subscribers that they block port 500 (used by
VPNs) on regular consumer accounts, requiring you to upgrade to a more
expensive commercial account.