agelessanarchy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I need some advice on selecting a tv tuner for my notebook. I have MCE 2005 and I know how picky it can be with components. So I was wondering if any of yall out there know of a good usb 2.0 tuner that will work with MCE and the tv tuner software that it has built in.

Also, I have read mixed reviews about Zurotech’s PCMCIA card. Is there any one out there that has used it with MEC? Most of the reviews I have seen just complain about the software that comes with the card.

Thanks.

Bruxbox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
There are several USB standard analog tuners that run very will with a WMCE notebook. Hauppauge and Avermedia have USB analog tuners.

I believe that there may be TV tuners in the pc card format, but I have no specific knowledge of them.

With respect to a WMCE notebook, the USB analog tuner must be one that does hardware MPEG encoding.

In addition, there are some USB high def tuners. However, to get one of these to work in a WMCE notebook, there must be a separate standard anolog tuner that does hardware MPEG encoding in order for the HD tuner will work.

Vbox and Dvico have USB HD tuners.

Again, to get these HD tuners to work in WMCE, you must have a separate analog tuner that does hardware MPEG encoding. Otherwise, the HD tuner will not work.

There is nothing to prevent using one USB analog tuner and one USB HD tuner connected to the same WMCE notebook. It would probably look a bit messy.

As a work around, connect both kinds of USB tuners to the notebook, go through the analog and digital channel setup in WMCE, and then after getting the channels working, remove the USB analog tuner. Of course, you will only have HD channels.