Error loading user.exe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

I have an old Hitachi Series E notebook. This is being given away and as it
had some old business records on it, I wanted to wipe the hard drive and do
a reinstall. After finishing the reinstall, the computer boots, the Windows
95 logo screen comes up, then I get an this message:

Error loading user.exe. You must reinstall Windows.

The computer then shuts off. I reinstalled Windows again, but have the same
problem.
Any suggestions???

Thanks Doug
ps-I knew I crossposted, but I'm kind of desperate.

"Doug Flemming" <dflemming@wi.rr.com> wrote:

>I have an old Hitachi Series E notebook. This is being given away and as it
>had some old business records on it, I wanted to wipe the hard drive and do
>a reinstall. After finishing the reinstall, the computer boots, the Windows
>95 logo screen comes up, then I get an this message:
>
>Error loading user.exe. You must reinstall Windows.
>
>The computer then shuts off. I reinstalled Windows again, but have the same
>problem.
>Any suggestions???
>
>Thanks Doug
>ps-I knew I crossposted, but I'm kind of desperate.

Are you reinstalling Windows 95 from the original disks or CD provided
by Hitachi?

If not then there are probably some drivers that you need to install
for the notebook.

There is a Knowledge Base article that describes one cause of this
error message with Windows 95:

Err Msg: Error Loading GDI.EXE. You Must Reinstall Windows
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 146904
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=146904

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win95.setup (More info?)

Doug Flemming stated:
> I have an old Hitachi Series E notebook. This is being given away and as it
> had some old business records on it, I wanted to wipe the hard drive and do
> a reinstall. After finishing the reinstall, the computer boots, the Windows
> 95 logo screen comes up, then I get an this message:
>
> Error loading user.exe. You must reinstall Windows.
>
> The computer then shuts off. I reinstalled Windows again, but have the same
> problem.
> Any suggestions???

Extract the original USER.EXE from the .CAB files of Windows 95.

I had similar problem here but this was with Windows 98... I found that
there was a zero-sized USER.EXE somewhere in the hard drive, deleted
this and extracted the valid USER.EXE and Windows worked!

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W

"People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!"
-- Amy Lee