Overclocking and cpu temps quick question?

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I'm curious as to what the effects are if you take the heatspreader off the cpu and attach the heatsink/fan right to the core itself then?

Would the temps be a little lower? also what are the potential side effects of this? do I run the risk of crushing the actual chip when putting on the heatsink if I do this?

I'm looking to overclock so any and every advantage I can get aside from going water cooling or phase change would be great but I personally don't know enough about doing this and what the risk or problems could be.

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
hehe, thunderbird all over again. :)
Yes the risk to crush your core is there, but if you are careful it shouldnt be a problem. however if you can get the spreader off w/o damaging the core or anything else under it, I applaud you.
Temp I should say it should have no to minimal affect, and if I am thinking right may actualy hurt. head spreader was designed to spread the contact area for heat as well as protect the innards. I am happy with mine, no chance of arctic silver on the contacts. :)
if you want every advantage, go H2O or keep an eye out for that phase change system from OCZ. you will have muuch better results. gl!

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
if you want every advantage, go H2O or keep an eye out for that phase change system from OCZ. you will have muuch better results. gl!

Nah I don't want to risk having a leak, knowing me I probably would, hehe

And I should have said every advantage on air cooling possible

mpjesse

Splendid
I would NOT recommend you do this. Those heat spreaders were designed for 2 reasons:

1: Prevent from crushing/cracking/breaking the core
2: disapation of heat in a more equal manner

I've never heard of anyone removing that heatspreader which probably means it's either A. really stupid or B. impossible w/ breaking it

My recommendation: don't even try it. :)

-mpjesse

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I removed the heat spreader on mine, it made a huge difference in max load temp, gave me some more OCing headroom, allowed me to decrease voltage a little and made a trendy keychain out of it.

Also consider that my CPU is watercooled by a Danger Den TDX waterblock that is meant to be installed on a small heat source like a bare core compared to some other waterblock designs that are made to accomodate larger surfaces such as a heat spreader.

Note that the vast majority of heatsinks will require some modifications in order to provide sufficient pressure on the core once the heat spreader is off.

Of course, there are some risks involved in removing a heat spreader, if you are'nt willing to take that bargain and spend time tinkering your cooling system to properly fit a bare core, forget it.

Here is a very informative thread from XS on IHS removal.

endyen

Splendid
As Sid said, there is gain to be had, for serious OCers. It's not for the faint of heart, or for those who cant afford to loose the odd chip.
Personally, I view OCing as a way to get the best from the cheapest, so I wont go that extreme.

I would add that you can get almost as much by lapping the base of the hsf. Of course the true initiate does bothe.

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005

Nah I don't want to risk having a leak, knowing me I probably would, hehe

And I should have said every advantage on air cooling possible

MCT-5, good stuff, wont fry things if it leaks. do a google search and you can see the stuff in action. :)