Windows Protection Error while installing Win 95

Hi,
I am having trouble installing Win 95 on HP Compaq dc5000sf desktop. I
formatted the HDD using partition magic for FAT partition. The installtion
looked working fine until the last step for restarting the machine after what
looked like successful installtion. On restart, I saw the message " While
Initializing IOS: Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your
computer". I tried restarting and it didnot help. I tried to reboot to safe
mode and it didnot let me. Then I also attempted to load device driver one at
a time as per instruction in the Knowledgebase
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us=243039) but it
didnot help. I am stuck.
Please help.
Thanks
Sunny
5 answers Last reply
More about windows protection error installing

    See if this applies to you.

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/DB010327_CW01_2.html

    Ben

    "Sunny Kaler" <Sunny Kaler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9A2B410-0B24-46FC-850E-1FB6E2AF00A0@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    > I am having trouble installing Win 95 on HP Compaq dc5000sf desktop. I
    > formatted the HDD using partition magic for FAT partition. The installtion
    > looked working fine until the last step for restarting the machine after what
    > looked like successful installtion. On restart, I saw the message " While
    > Initializing IOS: Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your
    > computer". I tried restarting and it didnot help. I tried to reboot to safe
    > mode and it didnot let me. Then I also attempted to load device driver one at
    > a time as per instruction in the Knowledgebase
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us=243039) but it
    > didnot help. I am stuck.
    > Please help.
    > Thanks
    > Sunny

    This was helpful, but I am stuck up trying to install the Network Adapter
    hardware. It doesnot have the Network Adapter for "Broadcom" and it doesnot
    accept the driver I provide in floppy drive.
    How do i proceed?
    Thanks
    Sunny

    "Ben Myers" wrote:

    > See if this applies to you.
    >
    > http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/DB010327_CW01_2.html
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > "Sunny Kaler" <Sunny Kaler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9A2B410-0B24-46FC-850E-1FB6E2AF00A0@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi,
    > > I am having trouble installing Win 95 on HP Compaq dc5000sf desktop. I
    > > formatted the HDD using partition magic for FAT partition. The installtion
    > > looked working fine until the last step for restarting the machine after what
    > > looked like successful installtion. On restart, I saw the message " While
    > > Initializing IOS: Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your
    > > computer". I tried restarting and it didnot help. I tried to reboot to safe
    > > mode and it didnot let me. Then I also attempted to load device driver one at
    > > a time as per instruction in the Knowledgebase
    > > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us=243039) but it
    > > didnot help. I am stuck.
    > > Please help.
    > > Thanks
    > > Sunny

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/downloaddrivers.php

    Ben

    "Sunny Kaler" <SunnyKaler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB9582C4-A2F2-4B92-AB62-DE4A58B4373C@microsoft.com...
    > This was helpful, but I am stuck up trying to install the Network Adapter
    > hardware. It doesnot have the Network Adapter for "Broadcom" and it doesnot
    > accept the driver I provide in floppy drive.
    > How do i proceed?
    > Thanks
    > Sunny
    >
    > "Ben Myers" wrote:
    >
    > > See if this applies to you.
    > >
    > > http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/DB010327_CW01_2.html
    > >
    > > Ben
    > >
    > > "Sunny Kaler" <Sunny Kaler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9A2B410-0B24-46FC-850E-1FB6E2AF00A0@microsoft.com...
    > > > Hi,
    > > > I am having trouble installing Win 95 on HP Compaq dc5000sf desktop. I
    > > > formatted the HDD using partition magic for FAT partition. The installtion
    > > > looked working fine until the last step for restarting the machine after what
    > > > looked like successful installtion. On restart, I saw the message " While
    > > > Initializing IOS: Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your
    > > > computer". I tried restarting and it didnot help. I tried to reboot to safe
    > > > mode and it didnot let me. Then I also attempted to load device driver one at
    > > > a time as per instruction in the Knowledgebase
    > > > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us=243039) but it
    > > > didnot help. I am stuck.
    > > > Please help.
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Sunny

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Broadcom doesnot support below Win 98.

    "Ben Myers" wrote:

    > http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/downloaddrivers.php
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > "Sunny Kaler" <SunnyKaler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB9582C4-A2F2-4B92-AB62-DE4A58B4373C@microsoft.com...
    > > This was helpful, but I am stuck up trying to install the Network Adapter
    > > hardware. It doesnot have the Network Adapter for "Broadcom" and it doesnot
    > > accept the driver I provide in floppy drive.
    > > How do i proceed?
    > > Thanks
    > > Sunny
    > >
    > > "Ben Myers" wrote:
    > >
    > > > See if this applies to you.
    > > >
    > > > http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/DB010327_CW01_2.html
    > > >
    > > > Ben

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > Broadcom doesnot support below Win 98.
    >
    > "Ben Myers" wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/downloaddrivers.php
    >>
    >> Ben
    >>
    >> "Sunny Kaler" <SunnyKaler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > This was helpful, but I am stuck up trying to install the Network
    >> > Adapter
    >> > hardware. It doesnot have the Network Adapter for "Broadcom" and it
    >> > doesnot
    >> > accept the driver I provide in floppy drive.
    >> > How do i proceed?
    >> > Thanks
    >> > Sunny

    neither does compaq....why are you trying to install win95 on a newer
    computer ?

    AFAIK that system shipped with winXP

Windows