AntiVirus for Windows 95

Just in case anyone else is looking, I have found the following Antivirus
products that will work with Windows 95 all of which have good reputations:

NOD32 (based on KAV) http://www.nod32.com/

Microworld Escan http://www.mwti.net (minimum Pentium with 32-64 MB RAM for
basic Antivirus, 64 MB for security suite with email scanning)

Fprot http://www.f-prot.com/ Free DOS command line scanner (Windows version
may work, ambiguous info from their site "Because F-Prot Antivirus for
Windows is designed to use the absolute minimum of your system's resources,
the program runs on any computer running the Windows 98 Operating system or
later. F-Prot Antivirus for Windows requires Microsoft Internet Explorer
version 4.0 or later for successful installation and updating of virus
signature files. This is of particular note to users of Windows 95 and
Windows NT who may have earlier versions of Internet Explorer installed."

Cheers,

Will
11 answers Last reply
More about antivirus windows

    Please keep adding to this thread as you find more antivirus programs for
    Windows 95.

    I need an antivirus program for a Win95a laptop (preferably free but I'll
    consider shareware versions). It is a Compaq LTE5100.

    This antivirus is needed very soon. I am about to attempt an Internet
    Explorer and Outlook Express repair on my WinMe desktop computer. In case of
    problems during the fixes and I can't get IE/OE back, this Win95 laptop can
    access the Internet temporarily so I can get on the web, get email, and
    access the newsgroups. I would feel more comfortable if this machine had
    some kind of antivirus protection.

    The early version of the operating system, low memory, slow processor speed,
    and the fact that it has no CD drive may limit my options. I believe it has
    DUN 1.4 and the Winsock y2k update, but I'm not sure. Is there any way to
    check? Here are the specs.

    Windows 95a
    Version 4.00.950a
    Pentium I, 90Mhz
    24MB RAM
    1GB hard drive (628MB free)
    IE 5.00.2919.630715
    IE 261255;269368;265258;254902;248120
    OE 5.00.2919.6600
    DirectX 8.0a
    Floppy drive
    No CDROM drive
    No USB capability (USB requires 32-bit CardBus)
    16-bit PCMCIA slots (not 32-bit CardBus)
    Motorola Mariner 28k data/fax/lan modem 10/100 combo card (high-speed DSL
    access)

    The laptop is connected to my WinMe PC through a network. It can access the
    DSL and hardware firewall of my router, so the laptop's 28k dial-up modem is
    not needed except for the LAN part of it. This Win95 computer has no
    protection aside from the router's hardware firewall. It's generally not
    used for Internet except as a backup.

    Norton AntiVirus (or Norton SystemWorks) requires Win95b or higher. Ad-Aware
    will not work on this PC either because it requires Win98 or higher. Spybot
    will work, but it is not installed. I want to see how much disk space is
    left after antivirus is installed. The largest program on the laptop is
    Office 97, which is essential. It also has Acrobat Reader 4.0, WinZip 6.2,
    XnView 1.70.4, a few small icon programs, an address book program, and some
    third-party system tools.

    In order to install Office 97, I cannot remember if I installed it from 41
    disks or if I copied the CDROM through the network to the laptop's hard
    drive and installed it from there. If the latter, I deleted the CD files
    after install to recover disk space, so if my Office installation ever needs
    to use a feature that's not currently installed, I am out of luck.

    The MicroWorld Escan program mentioned below will not work on my system, not
    enough memory. F-Prot for DOS may have a problem also because its files and
    definitions won't fit on a single floppy, and I have no CD drive. I have
    written to their support to ask about a workaround for that. I have written
    to NOD32 to ask them about their system requirements.

    Please keep adding to this thread as you find more antivirus programs for
    Windows 95, hopefully I'll find one for Win95a that will work with my
    system.

    "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Please keep adding to this thread as you find more antivirus programs for
    > Windows 95.
    >
    > I need an antivirus program for a Win95a laptop (preferably free but I'll
    > consider shareware versions). It is a Compaq LTE5100.

    try Antivir http://www.free-av.com/ , maybe you can use Winzip to split it
    into floppy disks?

    Will
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Thanks! I will look at that one. If there are other options, I'd still like
    to hear about them.

    > try Antivir http://www.free-av.com/ , maybe you can use Winzip to split it
    > into floppy disks?
    >
    > Will
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Here is another AntiVirus for Windows 95. It requires 32MB RAM. (My laptop
    only has 24MB.) There is a free version, a paid version, and a DOS version.

    Avast! 4.5 Home Edition (free)
    --------------------------------

    SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    For a computer with 95/98/Windows Me: PC 486, 32 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard
    disk space

    For a computer with Windows NT 4.0: PC 486, 24 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard
    disk space, Service Pack 3 and higher installed

    For a computer with Windows 2000/XP: PC Pentium, 64 MB RAM (128 MB
    recommended), 50 MB of free hard disk space

    The program itself requires about 20 MB hard disk space, the rest is
    reserved for the virus recovery database file and its index (VRDB, also
    known as the "integrity database" from the previous version).

    A functional MS Internet Explorer 4 or higher is required for the program to
    work.

    This product cannot be installed on a server operating system (Windows
    NT/2000/2003 Server families).

    Avast! 4.5 Pro Edition ($39.95+)
    ---------------------------
    -enhanced user interface
    -includes a scriptblocker
    -PUSH updates
    -command line scanner

    SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    For a computer with 95/98/Windows Me: PC 486, 32 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard
    disk space

    For a computer with Windows NT 4.0: PC 486, 24 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard
    disk space, Service Pack 3 and higher installed

    For a computer with Windows 2000/XP Workstation (No Server): PC Pentium, 64
    MB RAM (128 MB recommended), 50 MB of free hard disk space

    The program itself requires about 20 MB hard disk space, the rest is
    reserved for the virus recovery database file and its index (VRDB, also
    known as the "integrity database" from the previous version).

    A functional MS Internet Explorer 4 or higher is required for the program to
    work.

    This product cannot be installed on a server operating system (Windows
    NT/2000/2003 Server families).

    Avast! 7.7 for DOS (DOS,3.x)
    --------------------
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    AVG Antivirus 7.0 (Win95-XP).
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

    AVG has fewer features than Avast! AVG has a free edition and a Pro edition
    ($33.30). Outlook is the only mail
    client supported in the free version, not compatible with Outlook Express.
    Plugins for specific email clients are available in the Pro version. Free
    version has virtually no support. Email support is only for Pro users.

    Minimal hardware configuration which can be used for AVG installation is a
    PC with 486, 32 MB RAM memory and 15 MB free space on the hard drive.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    You could d/l trials of Etrust EZ Antivirus or EZ Armor (inc. Zone Alarm Pro
    4.5 firewall) which I find use the least resources so may work on your
    system:
    http://www.my-etrust.com/
    Looking at your 1st post again I'm not sure why you need to worry about
    floppy disks - could you just d/l the files to the WinMe computer then
    transmit over the network? It may that spyware would be more of a threat to
    you than viruses so you could try Spywareguard (real time) and
    SpywareBlaster (restricts sites). Also download Opera for a safer
    alternative to IE and OE http://www.opera.com/download/ .

    > Thanks! I will look at that one. If there are other options, I'd still
    like
    > to hear about them.
    >
    > "W Johnson" <gandulfini@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > try Antivir http://www.free-av.com/ , maybe you can use Winzip to split
    it
    > > into floppy disks?
    > >
    > > Will
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Hi
    In practice I have found that Etrust uses less resources than Avast, I
    think Avast would be painfully slow on your system (although they say
    minimum 32 MB RAM it may work with less).

    > Here is another AntiVirus for Windows 95. It requires 32MB RAM. (My laptop
    > only has 24MB.) There is a free version, a paid version, and a DOS
    version.

    > Avast! 4.5 Home Edition (free)
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    I will check it out. Thanks for letting me know.

    There is a link in the Microsoft Security for a free trial versions of
    various antivirus software.
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/antivirus.aspx

    FREE ANTIVIRUS TRIALS:
    Computer Associates (12-month free trial)
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237002
    F-secure (6-month free trial)
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237003
    McAfee (90-day free trial)
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237011
    Panda Software (90-day free trial)
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237005
    Symantec (90-day free trial)
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237006
    Trend Micro (90-day free trial)
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237007

    > Hi
    > In practice I have found that Etrust uses less resources than Avast, I
    > think Avast would be painfully slow on your system (although they say
    > minimum 32 MB RAM it may work with less).
    >
    > Will
    > "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Here is another AntiVirus for Windows 95. It requires 32MB RAM. (My
    laptop
    > > only has 24MB.) There is a free version, a paid version, and a DOS
    > version.
    > >
    > > Avast! 4.5 Home Edition (free)

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Although AVG 7 states it is compatible with Win95, I have found it works poorly, if
    at all, on that platform.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > AVG Antivirus 7.0 (Win95-XP).
    > http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php
    >
    > AVG has fewer features than Avast! AVG has a free edition and a Pro edition
    > ($33.30). Outlook is the only mail
    > client supported in the free version, not compatible with Outlook Express.
    > Plugins for specific email clients are available in the Pro version. Free
    > version has virtually no support. Email support is only for Pro users.
    >
    > Minimal hardware configuration which can be used for AVG installation is a
    > PC with 486, 32 MB RAM memory and 15 MB free space on the hard drive.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Opera is adware. The free version comes with ads. It costs $39 to register
    and get rid of them. I don't know if Opera has spyware too or just adware.
    You can download Opera with or without Java support. There is a page that
    compares Opera to IE. I do not know whether Opera is better than IE at this
    point, but I do think it's mail/news client, M2, is not as good as Outlook
    Express.

    Opera's built-in email client, M2, can receive HTML emails but cannot send
    HTML. That means you cannot use stationeries, text formatting, or
    create/reply/forward HTML messages. It can receive HTML incoming mail, but
    all outgoing mail is plain text only. I am not certain how to back up
    mail/news messages in M2 or if it is possible to import them into a new
    installation.

    Another alternative browser is Mozilla Firefox, but I have not had time to
    evaluate that one yet.

    Also download Opera for a safer
    > alternative to IE and OE http://www.opera.com/download/ .
    >
    > Will
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Just a thought, run temporarily without protection and then when you get
    your other PC running, and it's AV running, just do a "network drive" scan
    of your Laptop. I know both Mcafee and Norton will do this, I am not sure
    that the AVG free version is capable of doing a manual scan.

    --
    Jerry

Windows 95 Antivirus Windows