Question on removing critical files before overinstalling ..

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,

I've noticed when WindowsXP does a repair install, it quickly
deletes some files before starting the overinstall. I'm sure these
are critical files that need replacing if windows becomes corrupt.

I've overinstalled Windows98 several times, with and without success.
I wonder if there is a list of crucial files that need to be removed
before installing. Especially if updates have been performed. I always
get the "The file you are installing is older than the file you are
trying to copy". I never know when to keep or replace. The
newer file could be causing the problem.

Is there a list of files that need to be removed before
overinstalling, including updated files and folders?
Once the overinstall is complete then perform all the updates again.

Thanks

Kendall

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

WHOOPS wrong group. oh well it does apply to Win95 as well.