ADVICE: Best controls for the most realistic experience??

Wipeout

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004

Hi,

My Dad and I have just started doing our microlight pilot licenses and
figured that getting some hours done in a flight sim wouldn't be a bad
idea to help with understanding the controls and also would be fun..

We have bought a copy of MS Flight Simulator 2004 and are now looking at
the controls.. We will need a set of pedals and I guess they are pretty
standard so the question is really what is the best joystick to get that
will give the most realistic experience (obviously not looking just for
the most expensive joystick)..

The MS force feedback 2 has been suggested as well as the Saitek X-45
and X-52..

What is your suggestion?

Thanks..

If you're looking for the most realistic controls, I'd guess a CH Products
Yoke would be the way to go... I've always used a joystick myself, but
then, I'm not a real life pilot. (and also completely unwilling to give up
my combat flight sims. <grin>)

"WipeOut" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My Dad and I have just started doing our microlight pilot licenses and
> figured that getting some hours done in a flight sim wouldn't be a bad
> idea to help with understanding the controls and also would be fun..
>
> We have bought a copy of MS Flight Simulator 2004 and are now looking at
> the controls.. We will need a set of pedals and I guess they are pretty
> standard so the question is really what is the best joystick to get that
> will give the most realistic experience (obviously not looking just for
> the most expensive joystick)..
>
> The MS force feedback 2 has been suggested as well as the Saitek X-45 and
> X-52..
>
> What is your suggestion?
>
> Thanks..

Wipeout

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004

Hi Jay,

Thanks for replying..

We actually need a joystick because microlights use joysticks and not
yokes.. Guess that means i can have a bash ate the fighter sims too.. :)

Is the Microsoft force feedback 2 the only joystick that provides a
feedback in Flight Simulator 2004?
How accurate is the feedback? Can you "feel" when you are adjusting
trims or does it simply shake around randomly so you think you are
feeling something?

Jay Williams wrote:
> If you're looking for the most realistic controls, I'd guess a CH Products
> Yoke would be the way to go... I've always used a joystick myself, but
> then, I'm not a real life pilot. (and also completely unwilling to give up
> my combat flight sims. <grin>)
>
> "WipeOut" <me@here.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>My Dad and I have just started doing our microlight pilot licenses and
>>figured that getting some hours done in a flight sim wouldn't be a bad
>>idea to help with understanding the controls and also would be fun..
>>
>>We have bought a copy of MS Flight Simulator 2004 and are now looking at
>>the controls.. We will need a set of pedals and I guess they are pretty
>>standard so the question is really what is the best joystick to get that
>>will give the most realistic experience (obviously not looking just for
>>the most expensive joystick)..
>>
>>The MS force feedback 2 has been suggested as well as the Saitek X-45 and
>>X-52..
>>
>>What is your suggestion?
>>
>>Thanks..

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

WipeOut wrote:
> Hi Jay,
>
> Thanks for replying..
>
> We actually need a joystick because microlights use joysticks and not
> yokes.. Guess that means i can have a bash ate the fighter sims too.. :)
>
> Is the Microsoft force feedback 2 the only joystick that provides a
> feedback in Flight Simulator 2004?
> How accurate is the feedback? Can you "feel" when you are adjusting
> trims or does it simply shake around randomly so you think you are
> feeling something?

Hi Jay.

There is no feedback in the stick of the microlights I've flown but
that's only the Quicksilver MX II Sprint, the MX II Sport and the
Challenger II. The problem I had when first starting was the bungee
cords were so tight my that right arm (or left arm if I was flying on
the right seat) would tire quickly maintaining constant pressure just to
keep it straight and level. It only took one flight and I loosened the
bungees quite a bit.

The only realistic force feedback I have found was when flying with a
hydraulic failure in an OH-58. I think that's not worth looking for a
feedback stick just for that problem.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I have a Saitek Evo Force Flightstick (£50.00) which works great. Stick
vibrates lightly when taxiing and increases on runway. Bobs about if you go
over grass at speed - good fun. In flight you can feel the resistance which
pulling back and pushing forward if aircraft not trimmed correctly and when
you are changing the trim you can feel it easing off allowing you to adjust
the position of the stick back to the neutral position and still be in a
climb or descent. Good fun putting 747 into a steep climb, allowing it to
stall then letting go of stick and watch it 'headbang' as if it were
screaming like some deranged passenger LOL!!!

Chris

> Hi Jay,
>
> Thanks for replying..
>
> We actually need a joystick because microlights use joysticks and not
> yokes.. Guess that means i can have a bash ate the fighter sims too.. :)
>
> Is the Microsoft force feedback 2 the only joystick that provides a
> feedback in Flight Simulator 2004?
> How accurate is the feedback? Can you "feel" when you are adjusting trims
> or does it simply shake around randomly so you think you are feeling
> something?

I use a logitech wingman force (an older version). It does what you are
looking for (feel appropriate resistance (you can actually feel the stick
relax as you apply trim. ) You'll play hell finding one this old, but I'd
get a logitech FF stick and CH pro pedals (the logitech sticks come with a
throttle wheel.) Set them both up in MS 2004 giving x, y and throttle axes
to the Logitech and right brake, left brake, and z (rudder) axes to the CH
pedals. (pick the peripheral and then assign axes - kind of backwards to
your intuition). You're done!

> Jay Williams wrote:
>> If you're looking for the most realistic controls, I'd guess a CH
>> Products Yoke would be the way to go... I've always used a joystick
>> myself, but then, I'm not a real life pilot. (and also completely
>> unwilling to give up my combat flight sims. <grin>)
>>
>> "WipeOut" <me@here.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>My Dad and I have just started doing our microlight pilot licenses and
>>>figured that getting some hours done in a flight sim wouldn't be a bad
>>>idea to help with understanding the controls and also would be fun..
>>>
>>>We have bought a copy of MS Flight Simulator 2004 and are now looking at
>>>the controls.. We will need a set of pedals and I guess they are pretty
>>>standard so the question is really what is the best joystick to get that
>>>will give the most realistic experience (obviously not looking just for
>>>the most expensive joystick)..
>>>
>>>The MS force feedback 2 has been suggested as well as the Saitek X-45 and
>>>X-52..
>>>
>>>What is your suggestion?
>>>
>>>Thanks..

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Are the CH Products actually better than they look as from the websites I
think they look extremely 'plasticy', especially the throttle control? I
see some of the joysticks resemble that of an Atari 2600!!

Chris

"Jay Williams" <Voodoo141@buggeroffspammercox.net> wrote in message
> If you're looking for the most realistic controls, I'd guess a CH Products
> Yoke would be the way to go... I've always used a joystick myself, but
> then, I'm not a real life pilot. (and also completely unwilling to give
> up my combat flight sims. <grin>)
>
> "WipeOut" <me@here.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> My Dad and I have just started doing our microlight pilot licenses and
>> figured that getting some hours done in a flight sim wouldn't be a bad
>> idea to help with understanding the controls and also would be fun..
>>
>> We have bought a copy of MS Flight Simulator 2004 and are now looking at
>> the controls.. We will need a set of pedals and I guess they are pretty
>> standard so the question is really what is the best joystick to get that
>> will give the most realistic experience (obviously not looking just for
>> the most expensive joystick)..
>>
>> The MS force feedback 2 has been suggested as well as the Saitek X-45 and
>> X-52..
>>
>> What is your suggestion?
>>
>> Thanks..

Wipeout

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004

Jay Williams wrote:
> "WipeOut" <me@here.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi Jay,
>>
>>Thanks for replying..
>>
>>We actually need a joystick because microlights use joysticks and not
>>yokes.. Guess that means i can have a bash ate the fighter sims too.. :)
>>
>>Is the Microsoft force feedback 2 the only joystick that provides a
>>feedback in Flight Simulator 2004?
>>How accurate is the feedback? Can you "feel" when you are adjusting trims
>>or does it simply shake around randomly so you think you are feeling
>>something?
>>

> I use a logitech wingman force (an older version). It does what you are
> looking for (feel appropriate resistance (you can actually feel the stick
> relax as you apply trim. ) You'll play hell finding one this old, but I'd
> get a logitech FF stick and CH pro pedals (the logitech sticks come with a
> throttle wheel.) Set them both up in MS 2004 giving x, y and throttle axes
> to the Logitech and right brake, left brake, and z (rudder) axes to the CH
> pedals. (pick the peripheral and then assign axes - kind of backwards to
> your intuition). You're done!

Thanks, will do that..