USB Switch Box when sharing one printer with multiple comp..

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.printing (More info?)

Hello!

When I had printers that used parallel cables and ports for about a
decade, I used a parallel switch box to connect to between computers. I
am not always using the same computer, and I don't have to go and switch
cables and stuff. Not all computers are always on at the same time so I
can't use network sharing.

Since I have a new printer that doesn't have parallel support, I must
use USB. Is an USB switch box be reasonable for this? I use Debian/Linux,
Windows (98-XP), and MacOS X 10.2.8.

Is this the best way? If so, then which brands should I be getting from
local retail stores (e.g., CompUSA, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, etc.)?
I only need two computers support minimum.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But
then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny."
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

Have you considered a Print Server?
http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=32
www.coribright.com

"Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:
> Have you considered a Print Server?
> http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=32

I don't want it to be on a network.
--
"Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But
then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny."
--Saturday Night Live FAQ: Deep Thoughts
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

lew

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

On 2004-11-24, ANTant@zimage.com <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
> "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:
>> Have you considered a Print Server?
>> http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=32
>
> I don't want it to be on a network.

Have seen usb switch-boxes; not cheap & so decided not to get one.
Compusa has them listed on the webpage; also some other websites
& many list the usb switchbox by Belkin, available in both
"auto mode" and manual switch mode.

lew@csus_abcdefg.edu wrote:
> On 2004-11-24, ANTant@zimage.com <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
> > "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:
> >> Have you considered a Print Server?
> >> http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=32
> >
> > I don't want it to be on a network.

> Have seen usb switch-boxes; not cheap & so decided not to get one.
> Compusa has them listed on the webpage; also some other websites
> & many list the usb switchbox by Belkin, available in both
> "auto mode" and manual switch mode.

Which ones on CompUSA.com? I am thinking it was like the old fashion
switch boxes (A/B knob). How does the new one work? What happens if
both computers want to use the same printer?
--
"Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But
then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny."
--Saturday Night Live FAQ: Deep Thoughts
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> Hello!
>
> When I had printers that used parallel cables and ports for about a
> decade, I used a parallel switch box to connect to between computers. I
> am not always using the same computer, and I don't have to go and switch
> cables and stuff. Not all computers are always on at the same time so I
> can't use network sharing.
>
> Since I have a new printer that doesn't have parallel support, I must
> use USB. Is an USB switch box be reasonable for this? I use Debian/Linux,
> Windows (98-XP), and MacOS X 10.2.8.
>
> Is this the best way? If so, then which brands should I be getting from
> local retail stores (e.g., CompUSA, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, etc.)?
> I only need two computers support minimum.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
Reading between the lines I think I see that the computers you have are
networked together, just they aren't on at the same time. That is
exactly how my network works. I am using one of the D-Link print servers
that hook up to the Ethernet on your network. The one I have has a USB
port and two parallel ports. It works excellent! I have a Canon ink
jet on the USB port that stays on all the time and two lasers on the
parallel ports that I only turn on when I use them. I can get to the
canon from any machine (about 12) and can get to any laser if I have
them on. A couple of the laptops are hooked up wireless but they talk
to the server just as well as the others. The server was about $70.00
at COMP-USA. It works so well that my wife will use it. She sometimes
has little patience with my computer goodies when they don't work just
right.

John

john <swjwcm@charter.net> wrote:
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > When I had printers that used parallel cables and ports for about a
> > decade, I used a parallel switch box to connect to between computers. I
> > am not always using the same computer, and I don't have to go and switch
> > cables and stuff. Not all computers are always on at the same time so I
> > can't use network sharing.
> >
> > Since I have a new printer that doesn't have parallel support, I must
> > use USB. Is an USB switch box be reasonable for this? I use Debian/Linux,
> > Windows (98-XP), and MacOS X 10.2.8.
> >
> > Is this the best way? If so, then which brands should I be getting from
> > local retail stores (e.g., CompUSA, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, etc.)?
> > I only need two computers support minimum.
> >
> > Thank you in advance. :)
> Reading between the lines I think I see that the computers you have are
> networked together, just they aren't on at the same time. That is
> exactly how my network works. I am using one of the D-Link print servers
> that hook up to the Ethernet on your network. The one I have has a USB
> port and two parallel ports. It works excellent! I have a Canon ink
> jet on the USB port that stays on all the time and two lasers on the
> parallel ports that I only turn on when I use them. I can get to the
> canon from any machine (about 12) and can get to any laser if I have
> them on. A couple of the laptops are hooked up wireless but they talk
> to the server just as well as the others. The server was about $70.00
> at COMP-USA. It works so well that my wife will use it. She sometimes
> has little patience with my computer goodies when they don't work just
> right.

Well, I wanted to avoid any networking. :)
--
"Ever watch ants just crawling around? They walk in that single straight line, a long, a long, long
mile of ants. Sometimes they will walk over and pick up their dead friends and carry those around.